Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 02-01-2023, 02:24 PM   #11
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

I dig the creativity of these
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:35 PM   #12
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

While not as great as the Optimus and Megatron (especially), this one does fall a little flat for me. Still cute, but not enough to make me buy her. And I adore Bumblebee.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:58 PM   #13
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
Overall ...not bad. I like the sculpts.

Just that ...they look too far removed from the actual characters.
They're "cosplayers".
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:26 PM   #14
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
They're "cosplayers".

Yup, looks like it.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:06 AM   #15
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Albeit damn adorable cosplayers
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 03:28 AM   #16
Raven_Roth
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

It's cute, but honestly, they're really just girls wearing some Transformer merch. Which is fine, if that's what you're looking for.
I would have preferred a more direct translation, personally.
Raven_Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:23 PM   #17
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Roth View Post
It's cute, but honestly, they're really just girls wearing some Transformer merch. Which is fine, if that's what you're looking for.
Yes, and there are actual "female" Transformers rather than genderbending the "male" ones.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:56 PM   #18
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Roth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Yes, and there are actual "female" Transformers rather than genderbending the "male" ones.
Bishoujo: A word popularized by Japanese animation that means "pretty girl".

So, if you're looking for non-cute girl versions of the original Transformers characters, shouldn't you buy from another line/manufacturer?

If they made a cute/sexy Arcee or Black Arachnia bring it on, but in leu of that, these seem right in line with what I'd expect from the BISHOUJO line. But in reality, the female characters didn't really get a lot of weight back in the day, did they? Did Arcee even get an action figure? It seems like most of the people watching were in it for the dudes, so without counting pallet swaps, are they really any big named female Transformers to use for this line? Is there enough to support a line, and actually sell? Gender swapping seems like a natural course of action for a line like this, to me at least. Are you going to beat the popularity of Optimus or Megatron with one of the female characters? Will they have the same draw? Sadly, not likely, so it seem logical to go this route and use the big names to sell more tiny plastic trinkets.

Unrelated to that, but just came to mind, why did the "female" Transformers have boobs?!? Boobs have a biological function to feed mammalian young, not robots! LOL (That was joking of course. Robot ladies can have boobs, if they want!) And as a watcher of Transformers (and basically all 80's-90's media) as a young girl, I was always rooting for more female characters in just about everything. Give me a great Ellen Ripley style character any time, robotic or otherwise. So, I'll take these gents reimagined and done up like cute ladies and be totally ok with it.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 03:11 PM   #19
SDguy

These don't work for me either. I like both Bishoujo and TF, but this isn't all all of interest to me. I was moderately tempted by Megs, but that's about it. I probably would have totally been into full "pretty girl" sexy cybertonian characters.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:38 PM   #20
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornPegasus View Post
Bishoujo: A word popularized by Japanese animation that means "pretty girl".

So, if you're looking for non-cute girl versions of the original Transformers characters, shouldn't you buy from another line/manufacturer?

If they made a cute/sexy Arcee or Black Arachnia bring it on, but in leu of that, these seem right in line with what I'd expect from the BISHOUJO line. But in reality, the female characters didn't really get a lot of weight back in the day, did they? Did Arcee even get an action figure? It seems like most of the people watching were in it for the dudes, so without counting pallet swaps, are they really any big named female Transformers to use for this line? Is there enough to support a line, and actually sell? Gender swapping seems like a natural course of action for a line like this, to me at least. Are you going to beat the popularity of Optimus or Megatron with one of the female characters? Will they have the same draw? Sadly, not likely, so it seem logical to go this route and use the big names to sell more tiny plastic trinkets.
You answered your own question. If a person wants an actual Optimus/Megatron/Bumblebee statue or action figure, then yes, he or she would buy that rather than a bishoujo.

What's the market for statues of random people wearing Transformers merchandise? This is like a much more expensive version of the Funko Hot Topic Nerdette Pop. I live in a part of the country that has many Vintage Stock / Movie Trading Company stores. They have a ton of anime-inspired statues. Are they cute or sexy? Definitely. Does anyone care? Not really. Most of them have been collecting dust for months or years.