Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
s_paulik87
Green Lantern Corps

Framing Question.

I hope this is the correct section to put this in but I have a question about framing artwork. I just obtained an Udon Street Fighter Jam Poster which is ~60" x 18". I took it to Michael's and it was nearly $300 and 2 weeks to frame with a quality wooden frame. Is all framing this expensive and take this long? I understand it was going to be a little more expensive than a normal poster because of the size...but damn!
s_paulik87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

was the $300 with a discount? Michaels usually has at least a 50% coupon somewhere. theres a lot of Michaels haters on this board, personally, ive never had an issue. im friends with the framing dept manager, so, he knows about the bad word Michaels gets. 2 weeks sounds about right. you could always try americanframe.com, but, i think you cant order glass through that website, just acrylic. still, loads cheaper than museum glass anywhere else. just a suggestion.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
s_paulik87
Green Lantern Corps

Not sure I would have to look at the receipt. I've never had something framed professionally before so I was kinda shocked at the price. The frame I picked wasn't on the "on sale wall" though.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_paulik87 View Post
Not sure I would have to look at the receipt. I've never had something framed professionally before so I was kinda shocked at the price. The frame I picked wasn't on the "on sale wall" though.
usually their coupons are good on most frames and purchases. anyways, $300 sounds about right for a piece that large. ive had a few 12"x36" pieces framed together, and those were close to $400 with the discount. framing is not cheap, wherever you go. gotta be particular when it comes to deciding what gets to go up on the walls.

was your frame job with only 1 mat or were there a few of them?
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
s_paulik87
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
usually their coupons are good on most frames and purchases. anyways, $300 sounds about right for a piece that large. ive had a few 12"x36" pieces framed together, and those were close to $400 with the discount. framing is not cheap, wherever you go. gotta be particular when it comes to deciding what gets to go up on the walls.

was your frame job with only 1 mat or were there a few of them?
I believe it was a 50% discount actually because i remember seeing $700 something when the receipt was printing out, i'd look but it's in the car right now. I didn't get a mat, I assumed it would be way more. She asked me if I just wanted it framed and I told her yes, so I assume there is no mat.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Sam
Hydra

As I've said many times before, find a professional framer and build a good relationship with them. They'll most likely be cheaper than Michael's and will probably be able to do work that the techs there can't.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote