Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Rocket
Art of Mod

My Ultimate Emma Frost Trinity is complete!! Or, "Why I love Mark Brooks...."

So yeah, if you told me that before the halfway point of this year, I'd have landed not only a Cover Quality Dave Gibbons comission, PLUS my grail Terry Dodson piece, and then on top of that Perez AND Brooks pieces, I'd have permabanned you from the forum for being a douchebag.

But here we are, June 24 and I've somehow managed just that. I'm on one hell of a lucky streak and it's in no short reason thanks to many friends, both here and elsewhere.

So me, and two other mates, one SF's very own Fred Flintstone decided to roll the dice and travel to Sydney for their con this weekend to a) reconnect with Mark Brooks and his lovely wife Lisa, and b) see if he may be able to deliver on a three year in the making promise to get us each the piece we individually missed out on at NYCC 2010 when, as is often the case, Mark ran out of time to get everything done.

So we did everything in our power to make sure we were first in line at Mark's table and while we made no assumptions, hoped for the best. When Mark arrived, it was a massive relief to say the least when Lisa energetically exclaimed upon spotting Alex, "I know you guys!!" "I was saying to Mark I hoped you made it to the show!" So that, coupled with Mark's decision to work down the list meant the three of us were able to get the only three pieces he had time for during the weekend.

No disrespect meant to any other convention guest that has graced our shores, but Mark and Lisa are the absolute friendliest and nicest guests to come out. Willing to talk about anything and everything, and then some, it was a true joy to spend the weekend with their company and Mark, I know you'll read this, once more, thank you my friend.

Enough gushing! On with the art!

Saving the pinnacle til last I'll share what else I picked up at the con and a few quick snaps of the weekend first for those interested!

The main con floor

The legend George Perez and I

Oz Exclusive Commemorative Claremont\Perez print for the event

Mark hard at work

A WIP of Dr A's Thor

As many of you know, my daughter Lila, was named after semi-obscure X-Men fringe character Lila Cheney, so it was a treasured moment for me to convey this to Chris Claremont her creator, and get him to write a personal dedication as a memento for her to treasure!

Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Rocket
Art of Mod

I decided to get a Saviuk Spidey for old times sake (my Web of Spidey youth)

Got George Perez to do me a quick Teen Titans era Nightwing

George also started a new page for my Avengers Jam series

And did me this Thanos which I just love

Also decided to turn my Yardin Wolverine piece into a "Many costumes of Wolverine" jam and got both Jon Sommariva and Billy Tan to do iterations of the Canuck

Got this from David Yardin, which I told Dave is what I think the PERFECT representation of Jubilee. He just captured her entirely here IMO

Also picked up the fantastic Mark Brooks sketchbook (hardcover)

Last edited by Rocket; 06-23-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Rocket
Art of Mod

And some prints

And even though it's not art, I got to meet and spend time with Carrie Fisher!!

So the third piece of our group (Nik's Gwen Stacy) I don't have a pic of yet, BUT Alex has given me his blessing to share his also, his Thor

And here is the piece that left me speechless, my Emma Frost Again, this is just a camera phone pic and really doesn't do the piece justice, I'll update with a better quality pic when I get the chance

And some WIP shots

Once again, I need to say a public thanks to everyone who helped me great and small (you know who you are) and especially to Mark and Lisa, for being just as awesome as you guys were the first time we met! Can't wait for the next time!

Last edited by Rocket; 06-23-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Wow! What a time you had! That Emma Frost is spectacular! Mark Brooks is a talent for sure! Really like the Saviuk Spidey. He did an awesome piece for me back in May. What a great fellow to chat with also! Always love the Perez stuff!

Congrats on your haul!
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Great haul mate, and I'm glad you were finally able to get your Brooks piece. She's an absolute stunner, and well worth the wait!
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Rocket
Art of Mod

Thanks guys! Yeah, it was one heck of a trip I flew in Friday night and out Saturday night, so I really squeezed every drop out!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Peasant
A day without sunshine is like... night.

CONGRATS!!!! That's a really awesome haul!!! And the Emma Frost Brooks piece....seriously....it's amazingly awesome!!! OH YEYAH!!!!!
Peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasant View Post
CONGRATS!!!! That's a really awesome haul!!! And the Emma Frost Brooks piece....seriously....it's amazingly awesome!!! OH YEYAH!!!!!
LOL Thanks Terence! Truly a dream come true!

The Emma Trinity of Cho, Dodson and Brooks is complete!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

wow, great pieces and huge congrats on the Brooks Emma piece, it is breathe taking!! Hope to finally get one next year at Heroes and he is friendly and great to talk to. Love his GotG print too!
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

OH MY GOD.........This is like the first time i have ever seen this Brooks piece and i am just speechless.

I love everything about this piece mate i can't wait to see how you frame her up and immortalize her on your wall.

Love the Georgie P pieces also, the Thanos is just boss.
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote