Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 12-12-2005, 08:10 PM   #71
Pogo4321
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasethedragon
Pardon my intrusion, but you guys (MadJazz and RisingStar) are making perectly good arguments that don't really seem to be responsive to each other. Mad is correct, as I'm sure you know Rising, that the Constitution only protects individual speech from censure by the federal government, and by extension, state and local governments, as well. This means that every American has the right to protest the situation in Iraq or whatever without fear of being arrested or otherwise persecuted by government. Of course there may be limitations of time and location, which undercut this right to an extent.

The Constitution absolutely does NOT prevent any other entity, human or corporate, from censuring an individual's speech. Try standing up on the assembly line at Raytheon to protest Iraq. You'd be fired and removed from the premises before you can take a second breath. The Constitution offers no protection in that situation.

Rising, what you are talking about is something else entirely. Access to media and other avenues to express an opinion are clearly NOT equal as you state. But the Constitution guarantees only the right to speak, not a forum to speak in or an audience to speak to. If your point ultimately is that we do not live in a true democracy, then point taken, but that does not arise out of the First Amendement.

So, to the point, follow DRod's rules or get the h-e-l-l out. His house, his rules.

Yeah, actually the company can't censure him. They may be allowed to fire him (and i'm not convinced they'd prevail in the ensuing wrongful termination suit). But if he wants to hang out on the street and criticize the company it can't do a single legal thing about it unless they can prove damage. This is the difference. The only limit on speech is whether or not it is harmful and can be proven to be so. Obviously forums like this fall into a bit of a gray area. We all knew this is a moderated forum supported by business, so we should expect a certain level of censorship. Which I have no problem with. As far as I'm concerned this is private property we are graciously allowed to use as we will within limitations.
Pogo4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:24 PM   #72
Tattoo-S
Mrs. Wookie~'Venger's Girl~GORE Princess~Silly Sister~Beast Lover

I must be dense! I am having difficulties understanding why people are feeling so offended. This is not a hard sell or buy for that matter.
The site (or D rod) in general is allowing all of us the "freedom" of discussion and input. They are NOT giving us choices, or asking our opinions! However, by allowing us discussion of the "subject" matter, we are empowering ouselves to offer them up. No matter what happens the ultimate decisions will be set without any approval from us.
The only choices we will have are the SAME ones we have NOW! Either follow the rules or find yourself excluded. Simple points of fact! If your having troubles wraping your head around this, try letting somethings go, perhaps the fog will lift.

Agree to disagree, and lets all move forward from her.

There have been some great commentaries and rebuttles, but the thing is, things can't change until people do!
Tattoo-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:11 PM   #73
Jerseydevil
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus
First off, if you don't like the rules here, leave. We're not forcing you to stay.

Second, the is no double standard here, it is only Drod's standard. HIS house, HIS rules. Regardless of the fact that this forum is AVAILABLE to the public, it is a PRIVATELY owned forum. Drod ALLOWS us to use up his bandwidth, time, and money to have a place to talk about stuff. I would NEVER think to come into your house and discuss topics which you think are inappropriate.
So, BECAUSE this is Drod's place, BECAUSE it is HIS dime which pays for everything, and BECAUSE he is the SOLE reason that this place is even here, HE is the ONLY person who can arbitrate what is proper and not proper to discuss.

So, after saying that, I suggest you refer back to my first point. If YOU don't like what the rules are, YOU are not required to stay. There are plenty of people who are more than willing to live by the rules and have fun here.
Amen, Big G, Amen.
Jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #74
Kirk Durfey
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

When the Christmas cash crunch is over, I'll check out Danny's site and order some Kong stuff. While I understand that sometimes circumstances require cancelling a pre-order, I think Danny should require a large, non-refundable deposit on all pre-orders...
Kirk Durfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #75
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

ChasetheDragon - Thanks for understanding my point exactly.

Risingstar is OK in my book, because he is a forum member with discerning tastes. I fully back his Aragorn/Black Knight hunger strike and hope that it ends up including a Valkyrie Change-O-Rider.

PS - Thanks Drod for all you do. Most of us know the difference between right and wrong. If I've made a commitment to my LCS for a pre-order, I keep my commitment no matter what deals I find on the same thing in the mean time. People owe you the same respect. To do otherwise is just wrong.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #76
overkill
Kindly Asked To Leave

Man, talk about redundant.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:54 PM   #77
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman
I wish Danny would out these people and shame them! Sometimes he is TOO nice of a guy and gets burned, IMO!
He is too much of a stand up guy to do that. Please there was a member that cancelled an order because he was getting it cheaper, it was a $5 difference I believe. I am not surprised
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:41 PM   #78
money3
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
He is too much of a stand up guy to do that. Please there was a member that cancelled an order because he was getting it cheaper, it was a $5 difference I believe. I am not surprised

to save 5$ he broke his word? man thats beyond pathetic
money3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #79
wizard-comics
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Location: New Caprica City, New Caprica ("accidentally" left behind)
Why would Danny allow someone to walk into his store and shout to customers "go somewhere else to save a few bucks"..

...same thing here....this is not a "public service announcement" forum...this is statueforum.com owned by comicstatues.com.... don't screw with the mans business in his own house
wizard-comics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #80
Synergy
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-comics

...same thing here....this is not a "public service announcement" forum...this is statueforum.com owned by comicstatues.com.... don't screw with the mans business in his own house
I couldn't agree more......
Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote