Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #3501
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I would really like to see a Battlecat done by Sideshow but I think the statue industry is in a major over supply and Sideshow being the 800 pound gorilla will have a tough time slowing down it's own momentum of new pieces. With licensing requirements (what needs to be released when and how long things take), too many statue companies, and average pricing close to $600, we are all in market denial. Comic based movies are the juice fueling this jet. More and more seats are switching to 1st class and premium price models. If you want Masters of the Universe pieces, need movies. Need TV shows. Need celebrities to sport some Teela and Sorceress gear. Sideshow is a mass producer and does not care. The writing is on the wall. You won't get what you want, but you will get what you convince yourself you want thanks to new discounts, marketing hype, and the free shipping and Act Now Almost Sold Out sales pitch.

Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #3502
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
Yeah overall I'd have to agree, and the strange thing is Sideshow does a live Facebook show all the time which is of course a way to interact with your customers.

I guess maybe it's not a surprise that they listen the least though, because their designs don't tend to be completely aligned to the source material. I would imagine the people who take the most artistic freedoms are going to be the least responsive to ideas/criticism. Where as companies like XM/P1 on the whole are making statues that very much align with certain movies, comics, etc.
Spot on.

Two observations. If I were going for artistic freedom I would want my community to engage in the design. Do what F4F does and show 8 concepts and let fans decide.

Secondly, if people like some of these odd choices that's fine. There is a statue for everyone nowadays but if a company's going to plunk the time and resources into a project with an unknown ES then barnstorm it down the road with tons of reductions and coupons to move it, wouldn't it have made better sense asking or listening to your fans/community beforehand to avoid the messiness.

Just think of all the cool or better pieces we could get if certain choice decisions were better thought out. "Mythos Alien, I'm looking at you!"
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #3503
Tacheyon
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post
Honestly I don't think SS really cares enough to take the collectors feedback on this forum or Freaks. There have been so many missteps just this year with their products and fan feedback where other company's have listened to the feedback. XM, P1 and Tweaterhead have gone well above and beyond what they have to do as a company to keep its collectors happy. I can't say SS has done a thing this year except frown or make passing comments on our displeasure when they show off mistakes. An example, Lion-O, Batman and the Marvel chicks. You're never going to please everyone but if you're going to make simple mistakes that tick an overwhelming portion of your collectors off over and over again and not learn from it why bother being in the business.

If company's don't want to risk releasing lesser known but fan favorite characters they should just go the route of IA with their LOC Transformers line. Nothing wrong with doing 1/4 big names but release the lesser in a 1/6 line so they can be displayed together.
I think SS has started to pull back a lot from producing statues and focus more on just distributing other companies wares.

Take pawning off this line to Tweeterhead (which already has too many lines going as it is). A lot of other lines have just been quietly dropped without much fanfare. I doubt we will ever see Cheetara released from Thundercats after the Lion-O debacle. Except for maybe a couple of the DC big 3 or a hot Marvel character you wont see SS take any more chances on original content and just be happy with distribution rights to make their money.
Tacheyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #3504
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

At least we got to see a cutout of her on a popsicle stick during that Lion-O live. She’ll live on through the art print.

I still think they’ll release her. Maybe even show her off during 12 days of SS. It’s wishful thinking on my part I’ll ever see a Slithe let alone a 1/4 Trap-Jaw.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #3505
Omegaplex
The Herculoids

I think Cheetara and Teela are both safe bets for production at some point - let's be honest with ourselves, sexy babes we crushed on as kids reimagined as our adult versions conceive them is a safe sell.

I would be curious to know how many more female statues are produced and sold, then male statues.
Omegaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #3506
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaplex View Post
I think Cheetara and Teela are both safe bets for production at some point - let's be honest with ourselves, sexy babes we crushed on as kids reimagined as our adult versions conceive them is a safe sell.

I would be curious to know how many more female statues are produced and sold, then male statues.
I'd be surprised if female outsold male. Most series that aren't female centric (ex: Bombshells) tend to lean toward males because there are more male characters in most IPs that get statues.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:24 AM   #3507
Omegaplex
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I'd be surprised if female outsold male. Most series that aren't female centric (ex: Bombshells) tend to lean toward males because there are more male characters in most IPs that get statues.
I suppose that could be true, especially given that there's probably 10 Batman and Superman statues sold for any one unique other character
Omegaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #3508
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Remind me when 12 Days of SideShow starts? Next week, or after Christmas?

I'm hoping that Sideshow previews a new Storm PF, a new Campbell piece (other than Cinderella), and a female MOTU piece during 12 days.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #3509
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Remind me when 12 Days of SideShow starts? Next week, or after Christmas?

I'm hoping that Sideshow previews a new Storm PF, a new Campbell piece (other than Cinderella), and a female MOTU piece during 12 days.
You really want another Storm in that Jim Lee costume? Cuz you know that's the costume they'd choose.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #3510
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incrysis View Post
I personally have no interest in Trap-Jaw and Hordak.

WHAT?!?!?

personally my top 5 want is:

trap-jaw
beastman
battle cat
mer-man
hordak
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote