Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #1011
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Even if this hobby revolves around passion, let's not forget this is a job for those involved into production. This includes sculptors and proto painters, they're paid to do what they do.
We all know that a pro painter with all the time of this world can perfectly paint a statue with unmatched realism, but that's just academic if the factories can't replicate it.
Another example to me is PCS, I think all their paint masters are done by the same artist (Najera), and you can tell that he puts different levels of paint app on different pieces. The filmation MotU pieces simply don't have the level of detail that he puts in 1:3 pieces, for example, or 1:1 busts.
Does this diminish his talent or work? Absolutely not. It's simply a fair practice towards the customers.

Also, companies receive counter samples from China quite early, so they can compare their paint master vs chinese painted pieces before they green light mass production. The whole "we discover final quality only after we have made thousands of pieces and changes are not possible" is a ridicolous excuse.
I think PCS is one of the best examples of a company that manages expectations by delivering exactly what they advertise while maintaining a relatively small ES and a reasonable price point. I agree wholeheartedly with your last point. Being caught off guard with the poor results of a entire production run shouldn't be an excuse. It's a sign of incompetence imo.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #1012
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
I think it should be the other way around. Sideshow should paint their prototypes to a level that the factory can reasonably reproduce. That's what most/all other companies do, as far as I know
This is probably the most sensible, solid suggestion anyone in the history of this board has ever said. Bravo my good man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
The reason this isn't being done is because if people saw what they were actually going to receive, they wouldnt be so willing to drop $500+ on these things. An amazing prototype=pre-orders.
Yup. It's just text book marketing on Sideshow's part. You can't fault them for that in trying to lure as many into the fold as possible.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #1013
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

That's it. How many times do we hear something along the lines of "Well it's not as good as I was expecting but it's acceptable so I'll keep it" and how many of these people would have not even ordered it if they'd known at the start what they would be getting?

Sideshow would lose loads of pre-order business if they actually showed people a realistic representation of what they were going to be getting.
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #1014
marker2037
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I've with Transient. This thread is terrible to read. I was hoping for something new. Instead it's the same boring topic that's talked about in every thread.
marker2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 05:38 PM   #1015
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

That's probably a sign that there's issues.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #1016
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Okay if you want to continue the QC issues there is an official thread. I'm getting sick of reading the same ---- in every thread. Starting tomorrow posts will be deleted and infractions handed out. We have no problem with people talking about the issue but we have given you a thread to do it.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #1017
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

What's funny is i never/rarely read the qc issues thread, i always go to the official thread of the statue to read about if there are any qc issues.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #1018
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

That's fine when the statue has been released but when it hasn't even gone up for pre-order it becomes ridiculous.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #1019
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
All of that said, I just want to clarify an important point. I'm not suggesting that the finished piece will be bad (in of itself), I am suggesting it will be something other than what everyone is getting excited about, because it will be next to impossible for the Chinese plant to produce something to this level....I'd be confident in saying that this is a fact!

So, ask yourself this, given that the production plant will never produce something as stunning as the artists prototype, why does Sideshow use the artists prototype for the advertisment? Why don't they wait until they have a first off manufacturing sample and advertise that? I think everyone knows the answer to this, and it has nothing to do with time frames (at least as far as I can see).
Do you honestly need to ask this? I would think its pretty much common sense that the nicer the prototype looks, the more excitement is generated and hence more pre-orders placed. In other words, its about sales.

Sideshow, or more specifically the artists involved with the prototype, go to great lengths to make the best prototype statue that they can and then Sideshow tries to get the Chinese factories to produce a statue that is as close as possible to the prototype. Of course, everyone that has any experience in this market knows that its going to fall short of the prototype to some extent. If the workers in the Chinese factories were as talented as the original artists, they would likely be working as an artist at Sideshow as opposed to a worker in one of the lines in the factories and if they put as much time into each individual statue as the artists put into the prototype, it would likely take years for a single statue's edition to be released.

Lets face it, its really all a grey area. Everyone has different expectations and different subjective opinions in regards to what they deem acceptable quality wise and the artists working on the lines in China all have different levels of skill. Not to mention everyone has their good days and bad days at work. So some statues are going to be better than others no matter how one goes about it. Its simply unavoidable. Even if the original artists did every last statue in an edition, you would still ultimately have variations which would lead to some statues being better than others.

The final line when taking all of this into consideration needs to be Sideshow's quality control dept. and this appears to be the one area with Sideshow that could use the most improvement. At the price levels of these statues, Sideshow should be going over each and every statue before they get shipped out, to make sure the final statue is up to an acceptable level quality wise and doesn't have serious defects and it appears from the posts I have seen on these forums, Sideshow fails to do this on many occasions.

I still don't see anything wrong with pre orders, especially if you want to make sure you get an EX. If you don't like it, you can always send it back. If there is any market where pre-orders are hurting the industry its gaming. Developers releasing unfinished games and games with tons of bugs with the idea that its ok because they can release an update for the game after its been released. If people stopped pre ordering and only purchased a game if it was finished and not full of bugs, it would force the developers to change this aspect of the market.

That being said, pre orders with statues....well, I just don't see it being an issue. In fact, I love the Flex Pay option that pre-ordering gives you. I vastly prefer the Flex Pay option over paying full price for the statue in one payment. It always seems like the times I buy a statue in one payment, a bunch of great stuff gets released on eBay that I am unable to bid on due to going over my monthly budget. So I vastly prefer spacing the payments out using Flex Pay. So again, given the return policy, I just don't see pre-ordering as being a problem.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #1020
ukshaun
Hercules

Great looking statue. Looks better than the one with her hand in the air (of which there are about 6 for sale on ebay atm).
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote