Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-29-2018, 03:04 PM   #31
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
Historically, how many were supposedly killed by Innuit ghosts?

Who knows?

But what was interesting is the documentaries had several and sometimes different Innuit stories which were supported by the fact that the searchers came across them in possession of British supplies and relics such as the gold cord on a uniform, swords, etc.

One Innuit would be the guy that the opening scene is based on. He was found by searchers and told them he had run across who they believed to be Crozier and about 30 men trying to walk out. They were freezing and starving and the Innuit had given them some seal meat and helped them shelter for the night but then left them the next morning with them screaming to him as he left them in a language he didn't understand. Obviously they would have been pleading for him not to leave them and to come back but I guess the natives at that time only survived in small groups of 10 to 20 and there was no way to take on an extra 30 mean with no useful (to their way of thinking) skills.

Another told of going to one of the ships and finding just a few starving men who grabbed him and wouldn't let him go until the captain came out and ordered him released. He was told NOT to go down to the camp located a ways from the ship. Since evidence of cannabilism was found in the camp it is believed that the crew split between those willing to commit cannabalism and those who wouldn't.

Finally the last story and last known encounter is an Innuit was found with a sword with the same year on it as James graduated from some academy so they thought it was his. He said he saw 5 white men trying to walk out and later found them dead and took the sword.

I think there were a couple other stories but those are the ones I remember.

The reason they couldn't find the ships for years is because they were looking in the wrong place. For the entire time before they were discovered they were looking for them where the Innuit had seen them frozen in the ice. Given where they were found and condition it is now believed that after the 3rd or 4th year they thawed out and whatever crew or men were left made an attempt to sail them out (all fuel would have been long ago burned) but in their condition could only make it that far.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #32
johnclone
The Enchantress

Wow, talk about a crucially bad decision taking the ships into the ice.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #33
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Wow, talk about a crucially bad decision taking the ships into the ice.
Well the whole mission was to find the NW passage so that part was pretty much non-negotiable. They had been trying for 400 years to find one. Just take the long warm way for Christsakes.....Amirite?

So like 50 years later Amundson found the NW passage and he was also the first guy to the South Pole. His story is interesting as hell too. Norwegian.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #34
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I’m still liking the show so far. Wonder how the book is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
No I wldnt have. But thats irrelevant to my point of SJW influencing every new tv show because of some misguided pc.

Leave politics out of my entertainment.
I can totally agree with leaving politics out of entertainment. I don’t think it’s meant to be political. Think about it another way. Historically, men on ships with other men for months....weeks....years.....found comfort in each other in many ways. Some clearly more carnal.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #35
johnclone
The Enchantress

all I can think of after this latest episode is that bloody butt. So disturbing. Anyone want to mutiny? Nobody? Nope, I didn't think so.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:36 AM   #36
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
all I can think of after this latest episode is that bloody butt. So disturbing. Anyone want to mutiny? Nobody? Nope, I didn't think so.
We just had to see that dude's butt, didn't we. It had been building for two episodes. He's actually dropped trou in three out of the four episodes, hasn't he? My interest lies in the historical mystery behind this story, not in love stories with crew mates, or eskimo's, etc.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #37
johnclone
The Enchantress

I'm thinkin' werebear.