Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 10-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #461
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne1886 View Post
Hi Everbody, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

About two months ago I started collecting Superman/Batman figures. I came across a collector on YouTube who had done an unboxing of The Superman for Tomorrow Kotobukiya statue. I really really liked it but had trouble getting one for a reasonable price. I then stumbled across one on eBay made by crazy toys. It looked exactly the same but was much cheaper. I also noticed it didn't have the "S" stand. I ummed and arred about getting it. Eventually I did and I'm glad I did as its really good minus the stand. The Cape is slightly different from the Kotobukiya version but the standard is a very good standard. I compared the statue to a photo of the Kotobukiya version and I couldn't see any difference except maybe the colours in the photo were brighter but I couldn't say for sure which is better. Has anybody got both and is there a massive difference. Thanks.
SO you accidentally purchased a recast. Not a crime that I feel deserves this level of disdain. I would suggest that you report the seller and the company to ebay... That way no one else is a victim of this type sale. Honestly, you didn't do anything wrong as a rookie collector. However, in the future you should pay a little closer attention to the make up of the pieces that you wish to purchase. I would hate to see you get taken to the cleaners on a more valuable piece.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you can look past this experience and have a better time here.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:43 AM   #462
Maxwell
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

You just have to do more digging thru next time. Seeing a piece that is way cheaper than retail is already a big warning and would usually indicate that it is a bootleg/classA item. Also the difference in product samples, like you said that you noticed it not showing his S base. Crazy Toys are notorious recasters, from Koto's 1/6 and 1/10 scale. Like what some people have said before, their paint applications and sculpt are sub par compared to the originals and probably won't last that long. :/
Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #463
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
You just have to do more digging thru next time. Seeing a piece that is way cheaper than retail is already a big warning and would usually indicate that it is a bootleg/classA item. Also the difference in product samples, like you said that you noticed it not showing his S base. Crazy Toys are notorious recasters, from Koto's 1/6 and 1/10 scale. Like what some people have said before, their paint applications and sculpt are sub par compared to the originals and probably won't last that long. :/
When you are new to this hobby the learning curve is hell.... When I first started about 3 years ago I didn't even know what a recast was.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #464
Walls
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Add in the fact that SOME re asters are getting really good at it and it makes it even harder.

Anyways I agree that the response was a little harsh, with so many manufacturers out there it takes a while to get the jist of it.
Walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #465
Maxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
When you are new to this hobby the learning curve is hell.... When I first started about 3 years ago I didn't even know what a recast was.
That is true. If it wasn't for a recast I saw in a local shop here I wouldn't even know these existed back in the day xD
Old 10-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #466
Quilon
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

welcome to the forums, hope this did not discourage you from posting. most people on this forum are really nice and helpful.
Quilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:37 AM   #467
Bourne1886
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilon View Post
welcome to the forums, hope this did not discourage you from posting. most people on this forum are really nice and helpful.
Thankyou. It's just difficult to tell if you don't know what you're looking for. The statue I bought came packaged in a decent box with no spelling mistakes. I honestly thought it was a legal product.

I'd like to get the official one but as I've just started collecting it's a bit difficult to get one at retail price as its sold out officially.
Bourne1886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #468
Maxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne1886 View Post
Thankyou. It's just difficult to tell if you don't know what you're looking for. The statue I bought came packaged in a decent box with no spelling mistakes. I honestly thought it was a legal product.

I'd like to get the official one but as I've just started collecting it's a bit difficult to get one at retail price as its sold out officially.
You should join some of the facebook buy and sell groups out there, I have seen a couple of people selling their piece for good prices in the past. I know someone selling their's but its also above retail. It all boils down to patience, you never know someone might let him go for a really decent amount.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:40 AM   #469
Maxwell

Seems like they are re-releasing him, SimplyToys just posted about pre-ordering.
Now you can get him in with retail price.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:30 AM   #470
prescribeddrone
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Yea, I asked the guy at the Koto booth and he mentioned next year.
prescribeddrone is offline   Reply With Quote