Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 06-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
senseimaki
The Herculoids

Something amiss with newer generation superhero costumes

I was looking at some of the newer Kotobukiya Bishoujo DC and Marvel releases and I just realized that am not a big fan of the modern utilitarian type costumes that for example, Squirrel Girl, Wonder Girl and Ms. Marvel Kamala have on. Was a huge comic book fan back in the day and I still love watching all the movies and tv shows but something about seeing superhero characters in quasi-plain clothes except with a logo imprint (at least in Kamala’s and Wonder Girls’ case) just feels wrong.

Anyone else feel the same way? Or is this how modern comic books feature superhero characters?
senseimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
xforce
Hydra

I think its the byproduct of the movies, they are all trying to make them more realistic and truly wearable.
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
Shoo
Hercules

Even though that's kind of the foundation of superhero comic-books, I've always found ludicrous for someone like Wolverine to wear a costume, especially one like his. In spite of everything, I just find it out of character. That was one of the reasons I particularly liked Grant Morrison's take on the X-Men - exactly the opposite of the likes of Mr. Sinister, whose design I find embarrassing, even for comic-books.

So yeah, I'm OK with more utilitarian costumes. There's a reason why costumes are often heavily modified when turned into movies - most often than not, they would otherwise look ridiculous. Look no further than Cap at the end of The Avengers. Eeew.

Sometimes lightning is caught in a bottle, though - Ditko's timeless Spidey design is unbeatable.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
HarleyQuinn
The Spirit

I'd give Ms. Marvel a pass as her outfit retains the 'tights' mentality of old superhero outfits (which kind of goes along with her stretchy powers). Plus I think the main purpose of that design is to emulate her culture, which it does successfully.

I did like Cassie's New 52 Wonder Girl outfit better as a superhero costume than jeans I must say.

I agree though I think were just in an era of separates in superhero costumes.
HarleyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseimaki View Post
I was looking at some of the newer Kotobukiya Bishoujo DC and Marvel releases and I just realized that am not a big fan of the modern utilitarian type costumes that for example, Squirrel Girl, Wonder Girl and Ms. Marvel Kamala have on. Was a huge comic book fan back in the day and I still love watching all the movies and tv shows but something about seeing superhero characters in quasi-plain clothes except with a logo imprint (at least in Kamala’s and Wonder Girls’ case) just feels wrong.

Anyone else feel the same way? Or is this how modern comic books feature superhero characters?
Comics in generally have gone through waves of deconstruction and adding "realism" to their stories. I think the costumes reflect this.

Personally I don't care as long as they look great. I'm not a Punisher fan, but I've always got why he is all black wearing combat gear and a t-shirt with the skull logo. It all fits.

I prefer bright colorful fantastic characters myself and I've never been one to get bogged down with real physics in design.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #6
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I've never been one to get bogged down with real physics in design.
Yes, Power Girl defies physics in more ways than one.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #7
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Yes, Power Girl defies physics in more ways than one.
I'd probably add Vampirella to that list as well.
However, I, for one, was never a big fan of the whole 90s schtick with groups of heroes like the Avengers running around in tactical gear and flak jackets, sporting oversized guns, a la Rob Liefeld. Echhh! It was okay for certain extreme arctic condition missions or if used sparingly, but they just ran it into the ground, IMHO. I just saw it as a fad. Was it more plausible? Yeah. Probably, TOO plausible. I disliked Wonder Woman's brief Goddess of War armored costume, but will concede it was more befitting her new status... still hated it, though. I'll take Reed Richards' constructed unstable molecule spandex any day. Swashbuckler boots? No, not practical, but COOL!! I consider comics fantasy and escapist fare that does not have to reflect a gritty reality at all times. Also, wasn't Morrison's take on the X-Men more of art imitating life, i.e., the movie incarnations setting the tone?? Granted, I could be remembering that aspect wrong, timeline-wise (too lazy to look it up).
Exceptions to the rule... Wonder Man's red jacket and turtleneck, Batman's later, more realistic utility belt (no one could cram all that gear into those little gold capsules on his early version belts) and Cap's redo with cartridge belt pouches, reminiscent of his WW II days (I'm thinking particularly the Ultimate Captain America).
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
senseimaki
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Comics in generally have gone through waves of deconstruction and adding "realism" to their stories. I think the costumes reflect this.

Personally I don't care as long as they look great.
Personally, I don’t care as well either as long as the costume looks great. Black Canary and Black Widow don’t really wear costumes but they look great in their respective outfits. While the X-men movies from a costumes perspective looked OK, I still wanna see the Uncanny X-men I grew up with with the yellow and blue spandex outfits. Even though X-men Apocalypse sucked big time, Psylocke in full costume was still a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xforce View Post
I think its the byproduct of the movies, they are all trying to make them more realistic and truly wearable.
Totally makes sense. Thanks for chiming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
I consider comics fantasy and escapist fare that does not have to reflect a gritty reality at all times.
For me as well. I still personally favor the DCEU’s movies for this very reason. I felt like Batman vs Superman and Watchmen, 2 much malaligned movies, were true fan service. Any true comic book reader can tell you that comic book motivations and plot development don’t always have to make sense. While the Avengers movies were mostly enjoyable, I feel like they try to appeal more to the general populace. Now that Marvel is close to buying the Fox franchise, I guess I will never get the Uncanny X-men movie I’ve always dreamed of. Lolol
senseimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #9
tworow2
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyQuinn View Post
I'd give Ms. Marvel a pass as her outfit retains the 'tights' mentality of old superhero outfits (which kind of goes along with her stretchy powers). Plus I think the main purpose of that design is to emulate her culture, which it does successfully.
Ms. Marvel’s costume is literally meant to be made from a burkini that she modified herself, since she has kind of a Spider-Man thing going on.
tworow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #10
HarleyQuinn
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworow2 View Post
Ms. Marvel’s costume is literally meant to be made from a burkini that she modified herself, since she has kind of a Spider-Man thing going on.
I've totally read all the recent Ms. Marvel but somehow I missed that she made it out of an old burkini. That makes me like it even more actually just for the twist on the 'making my own costume' thing.
HarleyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote