Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #2251
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I'm not sure about that - Martin seems to be abiding by immutable time, as evidenced by Hodor. He became Hodor when Bran was just a baby (or unborn - I don't recall...), indicating that the timeline is set. The Bran future warging already 'happened'. The door is open to deviate from that, with Ned hearing Bran's voice at the Tower of Joy, but that too may have always happened. We just weren't privy to that info before they showed us. To establish an immutable timeline, then have Bran be some wildcard with the ability to change it, would cheapen it imo. It's like a 'get out of jail' card for an author.

I'm thankful Star Wars hasn't gone down the time travel road...
It's all anyone's guess how it works to be honest. As far as the show goes I don't believe they've properly illustrated how it works. We've seen effects, but no actual rules have been laid down. The books are a different thing at this point, and what they do may not necessarily reflect what happens on the show. It's a slippery slope when dealing with this kind of thing and I hope they have thought it through so as not to "cheapen it" as you've said. Guess we'll see.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #2252
johnclone
The Enchantress

Instead of thinking that Bran is the Night King, or trapped inside the Night King, what if the defeat of the Night King could come from Bran's warging ability? I mean, so far Bran's warging has not been very helpful at all, the only thing he did so far, is he was able to reveal the location of the army of the dead. What if Bran wargs into the undead Viserion and then eats the Night King, or at least blasts him with some blue flame? Did someone here already suggest that? I can't remember now, but it seems very possible.

So far I'm not onboard with the theories that Bran is somehow connected to the NK, whether he actually is him, or is trapped inside him.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #2253
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
As many potential pitfalls exist with time travel stories I still find them fascinating and more often than not enjoy them. That said, storytellers do need to be careful not to break their own rules.
If you haven't seen the film Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel I highly recommend it, especially if you like stories with cause, effect, and what happens if something were altered, related scenarios. It is a fun flick that explores the whole "time travel" genre in a humorous lighthearted way.

If you have seen it, what did you think?
Old 08-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #2254
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino76m View Post
was thinking the same thing,, maybe it was Bran who send a assasin to kill himself,,just after his fall, from which events supposedly were set in motion
That would be a mindF and I would take that as the ending to the series.

It's very Dark Tower-esque too. I'm a big fan of non-happy endings.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #2255
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
Instead of thinking that Bran is the Night King, or trapped inside the Night King, what if the defeat of the Night King could come from Bran's warging ability? I mean, so far Bran's warging has not been very helpful at all, the only thing he did so far, is he was able to reveal the location of the army of the dead. What if Bran wargs into the undead Viserion and then eats the Night King, or at least blasts him with some blue flame? Did someone here already suggest that? I can't remember now, but it seems very possible.

So far I'm not onboard with the theories that Bran is somehow connected to the NK, whether he actually is him, or is trapped inside him.
Somebody has questioned if Bran could warg with a Dragon. Nobody mentioned the white Viserion because well, he didn't exist til now *sniff*.

But I believe the creature/plant/person must be alive to be warged since it a taking over of the mind, senses, and motor functions. Therefore, we have seen nothing yet that says Bran can't warg into either Rhaegal or Drogon. It just may be easier to warg into something that he already has a bond with like Summer or Hodor.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #2256
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
If you haven't seen the film Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel I highly recommend it, especially if you like stories with cause, effect, and what happens if something were altered, related scenarios. It is a fun flick that explores the whole "time travel" genre in a humorous lighthearted way.

If you have seen it, what did you think?
Haven't seen that. Will have to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
That would be a mindF and I would take that as the ending to the series.

It's very Dark Tower-esque too. I'm a big fan of non-happy endings.
I'm okay with "non-happy endings" so long as something was accomplished by the protagonist. Stories where I end asking myself "wtf was the point of that?" are big fails IMO.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #2257
Demona
Martian Manhunter

That's true. I like endings that fit into the story and are shoehorned just to wrap something up. But I don't need sweetness and light.

TBH, the happy ending that was given to Hunger Games bothered me. I feel the stories, and movies, should have ended while she was living her life but still struggling with all that happened. Not happy with children and a husband.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:03 PM   #2258
johnclone
The Enchantress

fun interviews with the cast

Name all the characters that you can that have died in all the seasons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CxIQHfoYFs

What props do you want to keep?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phDF_ZCzOos

What was the most disgusting day of filming?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQgfB9FDCYg

Which type of person or character would you want to be in Westeros?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT2fxt1j7Oc

What is your favorite scene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYukyw49Kw

Memorable fan encounters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w4j1oJ2G2I
Old 08-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #2259
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Bran doesn't just see things that have happened. He sees can things before they happen.
I don't think you were replying directly to me, but I'll respond.

I never doubted his ability to see the past and future, and acknowledge he is even able to alter the "past", as evidenced by Hodor. My main focus is on the timeline itself. I believe it's been shown to be immutable, i.e. quite unlike "Back to the Future". Whatever is done to the timeline, has always been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
It's all anyone's guess how it works to be honest. As far as the show goes I don't believe they've properly illustrated how it works. We've seen effects, but no actual rules have been laid down. The books are a different thing at this point, and what they do may not necessarily reflect what happens on the show. It's a slippery slope when dealing with this kind of thing and I hope they have thought it through so as not to "cheapen it" as you've said. Guess we'll see.
I agree on the non-bolded parts. As for the bolded, I would say that they have - in an indirect way. The show, by virtue of presenting the audience with Hodor (not Wylis), from the very beginning - then showing how he became Hodor, seems to confirm that his transition to Hodor was inevitable.

Just a theory, and I'm not 100% on it of course, so I won't belabor the point any more. If we disagree, cool.

Just read these nitpicks on the previous episode:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/8/2...-dumb-no-sense

I'm the type that raises these sorts of bothersome questions, but I feel many (most?) have answers. Some are pretty ill-informed.

I'd repost them here if you guys are interested in discussing them (with our opinions on answers).
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #2260
johnclone
The Enchantress

It's funny how people don't even try to explain how some things could have happened. Like the chains, oh I don't know, maybe they are from a ship somewhere that got lost and stuck in the ice? Yeah, they are there because the writers needed something to pull the dragon out of the icy water. But it isn't hard to imagine where they could have come from. And as for the actual event of pulling out the dragon, couldn't that have happened weeks later, given plenty of time for some giants to go and fetch them from wherever this army stores their supplies and odd whatnots?