Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-01-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
senseimaki
The Herculoids

Need advice for displaying 1/6 scale statues

Hey everyone! I recently bought a curio only to realize that each shelf’s height is only 15.5” whereas the statues I want to display are 18-18.5” at the tallest.

So for those that own 1/6 scale statues, how do you display your statues? Are there any display cases you would recommend or do you display them on shelves or desks?

Any and all recommendations are appreciated.
senseimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Superman_Rules
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Are you going for one statue per shelf or would you like to display multiples together?
Superman_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #3
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

You can customize it with a drill gun and a bit that fits the peg hole.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

are you able to return the Curio Cabinet? It is true that drilling is an option but might be able to find a cabinet that would accommodate a statue that is 18-19 inches tall.

I know that Ikea is very popular but you might be able to find places that sell furniture that is not painted or stained so you could customize it that way. I am very fortunate that I have a friend who does woodworking so he was able to make me some shelving units out of wood and they are stained chocolate brown. However, some stores do sell untreated wood furniture which might be a little sturdier than an Ikea cabinet that has weight restrictions and might have to be bolted to the wall.
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
Gothamite
Phoenix

You can buy the 8-cube shelves from Walmart, lay them sideways, and display the statues on top.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Ho...olors/51233709

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #6
built2shred
Phoenix

Ikea Besta's are a good option for 1:6, I've also used them for 1:5 & 1:7 scale statues...

built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
senseimaki
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_Rules View Post
Are you going for one statue per shelf or would you like to display multiples together?
Doesn’t matter. I probably would want them lined up next to each other’s though instead of using risers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
You can customize it with a drill gun and a bit that fits the peg hole.
Ha! I wish I were more handy with tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
are you able to return the Curio Cabinet? It is true that drilling is an option but might be able to find a cabinet that would accommodate a statue that is 18-19 inches tall.

I know that Ikea is very popular but you might be able to find places that sell furniture that is not painted or stained so you could customize it that way. I am very fortunate that I have a friend who does woodworking so he was able to make me some shelving units out of wood and they are stained chocolate brown. However, some stores do sell untreated wood furniture which might be a little sturdier than an Ikea cabinet that has weight restrictions and might have to be bolted to the wall.
Too bad I don’t know anyone that does woodwork. But yeah, am able to return the curio. Thank god for Amazon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
You can buy the 8-cube shelves from Walmart, lay them sideways, and display the statues on top.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Ho...olors/51233709

So you basically just use the top to display the statues? What do you do with the cubby holes? Am assuming those are no larger than 13” ? Thanks! Will lol into these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Ikea Besta's are a good option for 1:6, I've also used them for 1:5 & 1:7 scale statues...

Would you mind measuring the height of each shelf? I’ll need at least 18.5-19” for my tallest statues. The curio I got was 15” shelf height. Thanks!!
senseimaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:51 PM   #8
pdenham
Teen Titans

I don't have display cabinets. I have a nice wood file cabinet that I can put a 1/4 scale up to 30" tall statue on.
I also have a short (4' tall) narrow bookcase that I can put a 1/6 to 1/4 scale piece on top of.
In addition, the top shelf in a dvd/cd cabinet has space for a smaller (8" or under) piece. There is room above that, on the top of the same cabinet to put a similar 8" to 10" piece, but I'm not a fan of having more than one statue in any specific area.

For my tastes, less is more.
That means fewer pieces on display in the room at any one time, having them in different areas of the room, or at the very least separated by enough space so that only one thing at a time is visible in my field of view from about 4' to 5' away.

I also keep everything at or slightly above my eye line at my typical viewing position (which is sitting at the computer, listening to music or watching videos on the desktop, etc)

I know most people here seem to like the rooms full of cubicles, and all the cubicles filled with their collections.
That's cool. Whatever floats your boat. But that's not for me.

The downside for me is that I ended up warehousing most of my collection in boxes, in the closet most of the time.
I'm probably not realizing the value from each piece since I hardly ever see them except in rotation that can put many years between active display time.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:40 PM   #9
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I don't have display cabinets. I have a nice wood file cabinet that I can put a 1/4 scale up to 30" tall statue on.
I also have a short (4' tall) narrow bookcase that I can put a 1/6 to 1/4 scale piece on top of.
In addition, the top shelf in a dvd/cd cabinet has space for a smaller (8" or under) piece. There is room above that, on the top of the same cabinet to put a similar 8" to 10" piece, but I'm not a fan of having more than one statue in any specific area.

For my tastes, less is more.
That means fewer pieces on display in the room at any one time, having them in different areas of the room, or at the very least separated by enough space so that only one thing at a time is visible in my field of view from about 4' to 5' away.

I also keep everything at or slightly above my eye line at my typical viewing position (which is sitting at the computer, listening to music or watching videos on the desktop, etc)

I know most people here seem to like the rooms full of cubicles, and all the cubicles filled with their collections.
That's cool. Whatever floats your boat. But that's not for me.

The downside for me is that I ended up warehousing most of my collection in boxes, in the closet most of the time.
I'm probably not realizing the value from each piece since I hardly ever see them except in rotation that can put many years between active display time.
I actually like this approach.

Rotation is key to preventing them from becoming fixtures and tiresome.

And nothing is worse than when a collection becomes clutter.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #10
Superman_Rules
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseimaki View Post
Doesn’t matter. I probably would want them lined up next to each other’s though instead of using risers.
You could get the 13” deep PAX shelves. Those are 29” and 39” wide. Or Billys seem popular for 1/6.
Superman_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote