Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #22511
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
i dont think the dark knight fell into that formula, seemed like the stakes started off high and continued to climb as the movie went along - escalation... the last two cap movies kept things interesting the whole way through as well imo
Agreed. TDK trilogy and the first two Captain America films are some of the best the genre has to offer IMHO. Civil War was more like another Avengers though. Choosing a narrative that pitted the heroes against one another and introducing yet another weak villain kept this entry from being great for me. Plus I need for there to be something at stake to get fully invested and you knew in the end all the heroes would likely emerge relatively unscathed. Yawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
I'm going to go ahead and throw an amen on top o every aspect of that post. Well typed, brother.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #22512
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Agreed. TDK trilogy and the first two Captain America films are some of the best the genre has to offer IMHO. Civil War was more like another Avengers though. Choosing a narrative that pitted the heroes against one another and introducing yet another weak villain kept this entry from being great for me. Plus I need for there to be something at stake to get fully invested and you knew in the end all the heroes would likely emerge relatively unscathed. Yawn!
Except for poor War Machine.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #22513
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

has anyone seen a cure for wellness? its out on bluray today and im wondering if its worth a rental or not...
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #22514
Dirt Torpedo
The Thunderbolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
has anyone seen a cure for wellness? its out on bluray today and im wondering if its worth a rental or not...
Just finished watching it. Reminded me of a poor mans Shutter Island ......6/10
Dirt Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #22515
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Except for poor War Machine.
Sure to make a miraculous recovery... just in time for Infinity War.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #22516
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I am curious as to how they could have made Wonder Woman more interesting for those who were not impressed by the narrative? Without changing her origin to suit the narrative of them possibly being Kryptonian.

The movie works because it made sense. Trying to make something complex for the sake of it especially when the storyteller lacks the ability to tell a complex story is where BvS failed for many. I really enjoyed MoS but i appreciate why many did not. I had no problem with Superman killing Zod. Wonder Woman had no problem killing the antagonist, she is one of the few Heros who has been doing it throughout her history.

I do agree that Ares was poorly developed. Its a pity they did not spend more time as they did with the animated movie.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #22517
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I am curious as to how they could have made Wonder Woman more interesting for those who were not impressed by the narrative? Without changing her origin to suit the narrative of them possibly being Kryptonian.

The movie works because it made sense. Trying to make something complex for the sake of it especially when the storyteller lacks the ability to tell a complex story is where BvS failed for many. I really enjoyed MoS but i appreciate why many did not. I had no problem with Superman killing Zod. Wonder Woman had no problem killing the antagonist, she is one of the few Heros who has been doing it throughout her history.

I do agree that Ares was poorly developed. Its a pity they did not spend more time as they did with the animated movie.
Speaking for myself I'm just tired of the traditional origin story. It's too by the numbers. Man of Steel is a good example of an origin story that hit all the important character notes but still felt completely fresh to me because it expanded the character in new ways, had compelling villains, stakes were high and you knew no matter how it turned out the events were going to have a lasting impact. I'm glad WW got her origin onscreen intact and you're right, outside of developing Ares, I don't see how much could've really been changed. In the end it is what it is and I did enjoy the movie, just not as much as most here because it didn't break any new ground in my eyes outside of WW finally getting her due. As a fan of the character I loved seeing her in action but all the beats felt familiar.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #22518
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
i dont think the dark knight fell into that formula, seemed like the stakes started off high and continued to climb as the movie went along - escalation... the last two cap movies kept things interesting the whole way through as well imo
Missed this the first time. Excellent points and much agreement, brother!
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #22519
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Torpedo View Post
Just finished watching it. Reminded me of a poor mans Shutter Island ......6/10
Sucky, I had high hopes for this one. Thanks for the reply.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #22520
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post

I would throw in GOTG 1 in there as well.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote