Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
Gothamite
Phoenix

Rebirth Batgirl written by Mairghread Scott

The transition from Hope Larson to Mairghread Scott ran into some delays, which led to two issues of Batgirl, #26 and Annual #2, being released today.

Annual #2 is a stand-alone story about Batgirl solving crimes instigated by her brother, James Gordon Jr, even though he's in prison. I suggest reading this first before reading #25 and #26 if you haven't started them already. There are several pages where Batgirl confronts James Jr one-on-one, and Scott shows how James Jr completely misunderstands his sister when he compares her reaction to the slasher films they used to watch as children to his own psychopathy.

Even though #26 is titled "Art of the Crime Part 1", the story arc began in #25's "Value". Batgirl's Burnside outfit is heavily damaged in a confrontation with Grotesque, a villain who steals art and mutilates his victims into gruesome versions of famous paintings. Her spinal implant is also damaged, which means that she loses the ability to walk.

In just three issues, Scott has shown she's a great choice to write the character. The dramatic moments between Batgirl and her father or her brother are substantive and moving. The panel breakdowns are fantastic, quite cinematic and exciting.

Scott is clearly a better writer than Larson and the Benson Sisters (who wrote Rebirth Batgirl and the Birds of Prey). The previous Rebirth writers seemed to forget that Batgirl is a genius and frequently had her engage in groan-inducing behavior. The Benson sisters even had Batgirl wondering how she could fight crime without a team, as if she hadn't done so for years!!!

The new costume by Sean Gordon Murphy will appear in #27.

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
Augen
The Hulk

I'll check her out and get back to you.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

It's too costly for me to get monthly comics. Not worth it... And i decided to not to get TPBs anymore, just OHC, HC etc. If it's not HC, it's not worth my time so no more Batgirl for me, unless they start to publish some rebirth deluxes. They publish for Nightwing. I'm so happy about that, i would be kind of sad, if i had to quit Nightwing.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
Gothamite
Phoenix

That's the problem, though -- publishers decide what to turn into hardcovers/deluxe editions based on sales, and monthlies get to continue based in part on how well their collected editions sell.

(Also, Wonder Woman can't be the only female character guys read, lol. I understand her appeal, but her Rebirth story arcs have been underwhelming so far. Her best issue was a one-shot, #51.)
Old 08-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Barbara probably sales well, not as much as Wonder Woman ofcourse but she has many fans. Enough to make her Batgirl again. I like Barbara as well. I'm a Dick&Babs shipper... lol But i would have more hard time quiting if it was Cassandra Batgirl... Cass is so hard core... i love her. If it was Cass, i would make an exception and get the TPBs... lol
Old 08-31-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
Gothamite
Phoenix

Cass is in Detective Comics right now.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Cass is in Detective Comics right now.
I know, i will get the deluxes in near future for sure but i want the Batgirl costume back, they can call her black bat and have that costume after all. I love the Batgirl costume of Cass, that spooky ninja costume. So awesome. I don't like this Orphan identity though... And as far as i heard they made her mute in rebirth, that is a downer as well.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:50 PM   #8
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I know, i will get the deluxes in near future for sure but i want the Batgirl costume back, they can call her black bat and have that costume after all. I love the Batgirl costume of Cass, that spooky ninja costume. So awesome. I don't like this Orphan identity though... And as far as i heard they made her mute in rebirth, that is a downer as well.
She speaks.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I'm a TPB/GN buyer, too. I try to buy single issues of indie comics to make sure they reach a collected edition (and then sell or give the singles away later). From our interactions on here, I'll make sure to seek out this Batgirl series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Cassandra Batgirl... Cass is so hard core... i love her.
Another Cassandra Cain Batgirl fan! I wish they'd make a statue of her. One of the biggest reasons I liked CC was how she was mute and understood body language as her actual language. When they removed that, it took away what made her special to me.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:01 PM   #10
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

lol... reading the comments made as I was posting a comment.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote