Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 05-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
wrlord
Fantastic Four

ArtFX Premier Captain America

Sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere...

Is it just me, or is this statue just too textury? It's like they were trying to snag buyers with all the detail, but every single surface has more nooks and crannies than a Thomas' English muffin!

wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:41 AM   #2
wrlord
Fantastic Four

Guess it’s just me.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:55 AM   #3
WhistlingTime
Birdman

Assuming you're referring mostly to the grain in the leather, I can see what you're saying, but I wonder if that's a product of us just being accustomed to seeing a smooth-looking helmet.

I quite like the texturing of his outfit and, even with the leather, I feel it's well done if you're going for more realism over comic-style in the figure.

You might be right also - given the various materials he's wearing/carrying/standing on, they may have seen an opportunity with this one to showcase the level of detail they can achieve.
WhistlingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #4
BigWhammo
Fantastic Four

Personally love it. I just wish it were a larger scale. However that did not stop me from ordering.
BigWhammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
Tushar
Hellboy

Gonna be a nightmare to clean this one. It needs to be behind glass at all times.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #6
wrlord
Fantastic Four

Thanks for the responses.
To articulate my issue better, as I look at he pix, the leather texture just seems overdone. Leather develops wrinkles like that when it gets moved frequently - that's why every leather garment you see will have wrinkles and smooth surfaces. Not every millimeter of a leather boot or glove or pouch (or mask) will look like a roadmap. I can't imagine anything you can do to a boot that would get the toes to look that way. And I don't think the scales in his shirt would get flexed much, but every one of them has the same pattern.
As for his abdomen, ok, let's say it's some kind of pre-kevlar weave for his protection. But then the pants are so heavily patterned it looks like he wearing corduroy.
Glad other people like it, and I agree that it's impressive, but, based on these photos, I think it's a near miss.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
Thanks for the responses.
To articulate my issue better, as I look at he pix, the leather texture just seems overdone. Leather develops wrinkles like that when it gets moved frequently - that's why every leather garment you see will have wrinkles and smooth surfaces. Not every millimeter of a leather boot or glove or pouch (or mask) will look like a roadmap. I can't imagine anything you can do to a boot that would get the toes to look that way. And I don't think the scales in his shirt would get flexed much, but every one of them has the same pattern.
As for his abdomen, ok, let's say it's some kind of pre-kevlar weave for his protection. But then the pants are so heavily patterned it looks like he wearing corduroy.
Glad other people like it, and I agree that it's impressive, but, based on these photos, I think it's a near miss.
When I was going to purchase this it wasn't the promo pictures that persuaded me but the footage from Toy Fair on YouTube. Pixel Dan and Shartimus Prime had really good coverage of this line at the Koto booth.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:47 PM   #8
WhistlingTime
Birdman

I think the majority of the texture is supposed to be the natural grain of the leather - not necessarily the wrinkles that develop through wear. In saying that, the grain, on the helmet/pouches for instance, is well-oversized for 1:10 scale.

And as I look more, I think you do have a point, particularly with the boots (and maybe the gloves). They probably could've shown a bit more restraint or subtlety with the texture in parts. As you say, the lower parts of the boot (toe, heel, etc) would probably remain tighter/smoother.

At least the belt looks smooth. And I like the way it has that concave look to it as well.

I think the ultimate goal though, was just to portray different fabrics/materials in the single medium. And it's certainly achieved that. Even at first glance, you can immediately identify and differentiate the various surfaces.
WhistlingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:33 AM   #9
Tushar
Hellboy

The thing that bothers me is the sewn on star on the chest and 'A' on the mask. Makes the suit look homemade. But then again, I guess the goal was to showcase the needlework details more than portraying accuracy.

Funny thing is, I never thought the older ArtFX+ statues were lacking in detail.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
Hunter Frost
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

It’s not just you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
Guess it’s just me.
Me too! I think the helmet, gloves, pouches and boots could have been toned down a bit. Someone mentioned comic con coverage I believe? I’ll have to check it out.
Hunter Frost is offline   Reply With Quote