Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-18-2015, 12:57 AM   #11
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

That last scene was a bit cheesy. Hung on a bit too long just going back and forth between Luke and Rey. Seemed like some soap opera
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:14 AM   #12
decoyoctopus10
A day without sunshine is like... night.

The first 20-30 minutes had too much action IMO.

One Millennium Falcon gadget reference would have been enough (either training remote OR holochess).

Phasma did nothing.

Snoke reminded me of something out of the Hobbit.

I liked how Han died and who killed him, but the after just seemed way too unceremonious.

Other than that, I loved it. 8.5/10 from me. Amazing saber battle in the final act. Best lightsaber dual in 30 years. And I like how it's the spiritual successor to the EU. A lot of parallels.
decoyoctopus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:29 AM   #13
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

great movie loved it

Han & Chewie stole the movie or me. they are my favorite and it makes me wish we had ten more movies with them the past 30 years. Han's death not a surprise and not a surprise his son did it. Wish it would have waited till Episode 8 though.
Luke & Leia/R2D2 & C3PO not enough of any of them to form much of a opinion. Loved C3PO's re-introduction to Han though PRICELESS
Finn did nothing for me. he was whiny hopefully there is more to him then meets the eye.
Poe nothing much for me either good pilot.
BB-8 was great enjoyed him in the R2D2 role.
Rey was awesome. Daisy did a wonderful job with her. She has to be Rey Skywalker though. She is way too powerful not to be Luke's daughter. Plus Kylo Ren would have known if she was his sister when he was interrogating her through the Force.
Ren will also have to grow on me, he showed some struggle but the whole scene with Han was a set up and I knew it. He's no vader. And Snook looks bad we shall see.

Overall solid 8.5/10 lots of han/Chewie & The Falcon my inner child is smiling tonight.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:46 AM   #14
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

I'd just like to add, this movie has brought me back to Star Wars fandom. I loved Star Wars as a kid but those prequels lost me. I was at an impressionable age (14) and like I am now, was just as hyper-critical. That trilogy turned my love into hate. It's good to be back.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:13 AM   #15
adee
Green Arrow

I enjoyed it. Hard not to with so much of the original trilogy sewn in. The plot could have been a little stronger ...they have to blow up and even bigger death star? Finn, Rey and BB8 were great. I thought Kylo Ren lost a lot of his edge from what I was expecting but I guess that was the point. I have to believe we haven't seen the last of Captain Phasma. Supreme Leader Snoke was a bit of a let down for me. With so much secrecy about the character I was expecting more. All and all very entertaining and I'm already looking forward to the next one.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:50 AM   #16
built2shred
Phoenix

I would say it's just as good as Empire Strikes Back but not Oscar worthy like some were reporting....

The death of Han felt emotionless because we didn't get to see any flash backs or anything that would connect Han to his son. But overall it was in line with the original trilogy, so I got to give JJ Abrams some props, it couldn't be easy to try and make something that generations of Star Wars fans would like. I think he nailed it with this movie....

As for Rey my money is she's Luke's daughter, if she was Kylo Ren's twin sister then I'm pretty sure Han and Leia would of known that.... I think Luke had a fling with someone and knew if his enemies found out he had a daughter they would hunt her down

The story reminded me of the first star wars though, Death Star, Rey taken prisoner on new Death Star, heroes come to rescue her, Obi-Wan tries to train Anakin and he goes Dark side, Luke tries to train his nephew he goes Dark Side.... it wasn't really original but it was still fun to watch.

I'd give 8/10
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:55 AM   #17
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I'm going to take another full day to digest the movie, but I do know I liked it. I do not love it yet though. My hesitation comes because it was at times predictable and was a mash-up of New Hope, Empire and Jedi. Took all the best bits and strung it together. But at least that old tale is out of the way and we can move on to what happens from here!

Rae, and the actress, are such a delight! I can't wait to see her character evolution and learn of her history. There was a glimmer of dark in her during the fight with Kylo and I hope that's explored. Also -- I love BB8. Love love love.

As another poster said, the music was lacking.

Best line for me -- "That is garbage!"...."Well, garbage will have to do"

Giving a rating after just a first viewing -- 7/10. I can't hate it but can't love it either.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:45 AM   #18
jimmmy
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

I loved it and echo most of what was said here...2 things though..was that a really obese Bossk I saw sitting in Maz's place? And why didn't Leia give chewie a hug when he got off the falcon after han's death. Poor chewie would be totally devastated at losing Han yet she just ignored him and hugged rey. Give chewie a bit of love!
jimmmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:47 AM   #19
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
Lord Snoke (bad guy above Kylo) looked very fake to me and I just did not care for him or his design.

Maz also looked cheesy and not real.
well they are both motion capture characters! One is a projected hologram!
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoyoctopus10 View Post

Snoke reminded me of something out of the Hobbit.
what, like Andy Serkis maybe, who does his voice?
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #20
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Star Wars - The Force Awakens 7.5/10

Solid and entertaining film. The new characters are all an absolute joy.

I can't rate it any higher however because it just borrowed a few too many queues from ANH and RotJ and didn't make a few bold moves that the narrative afforded them for the franchise long term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I don't think we saw the same movie.
My criticism goes back to my point about it echoing the major story beats of ANH, RotJ and to a far lesser extent TPM too much.

Find unaware hero in waiting on a dessert planet, droid containing precious top secret information is sought, big bad has a familial connection to to the heroes, old mentor character with historical ties to the characters encouraging hero to embrace their destiny, death of a beloved mentor hero character in moment if self sacrifice, planet destroying super weapon, heroes exploit small flaw in design to destroy said weapon pending it firing in a seemingly hopeless battle....

This is all minor but honestly my biggest critique is that did we really need both of the big force users for the new triliogy tied to Skywalkers once again?!?!?! Ren OR Rey would have been enough, (and I am hoping against hope that Rey is not a Skywalker). The first bold move? Bad ass Jedi or Sith that has no Skywalker lineage! More than anything that was a big detractor for me; to the point I almost assume that the eviserated Ren will literally become the new Darth Vader once he is rebuilt.

I know you are referring to the death of Han as "the bold choice" but going in I knew it was him that was going to die; too logical. Harrison is (was) tough to pin down for films like this now and quite honestly he is old. Had he passed away in real life wrapping up Hans story with him onscreen would have been lost to them.

The other bold choice I saw was having Ren actually turn away from the Dark Side, or at least try to. Having him defect in some manner would have set up an amazing device for future films.

All that is not to say I didn't enjoy the film immensely; it is just not "the greatest movie evar" and beyond reproach

Last edited by Matches Malone; 12-18-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote