Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 11-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #41
protector2814
Phoenix

I recall a Bronze age Amazing Spiderman, or maybe it was a Marvel Team-Up, where Spidey fought The Juggernaut in a NYC skyscraper construction site. Juggy ended up sinking in the building's just poured, deeper then hell, cement foundation & ended up being stopped that way. I think I even recall a later bronze ish where he freed himself from the hardened cement tomb a while later. I've never been a huge X-Men fan, so I haven't followed Meteor Man's justified complaints, but does Spidey's solution of trapping the Juggernaut in hardening cement make sense? Just curious.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #42
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I recall a Bronze age Amazing Spiderman, or maybe it was a Marvel Team-Up, where Spidey fought The Juggernaut in a NYC skyscraper construction site. Juggy ended up sinking in the building's just poured, deeper then hell, cement foundation & ended up being stopped that way. I think I even recall a later bronze ish where he freed himself from the hardened cement tomb a while later. I've never been a huge X-Men fan, so I haven't followed Meteor Man's justified complaints, but does Spidey's solution of trapping the Juggernaut in hardening cement make sense? Just curious.
It does, as it was basically the same thing that happened to the Juggernaut in his origin story. When the temple of Cyttorak collapsed in Korea, the Juggernaut was buried by tons and tons of building and debris. But, it didn't stop him, just as the cement in the Spidey story didn't stop him either. It just took him a long time to dig his way out. So, the Spidey story matched up fine with established continuity, IMO.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #43
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quote:
You're reffering to classic Amazing Spider-man issues 229 & 230!
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #44
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
You're reffering to classic Amazing Spider-man issues 229 & 230!
Thanks! - - I'll be pulling those issues this weekend. Do you remember who drew those issues? Was it Romita Sr.?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #45
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Thanks! - - I'll be pulling those issues this weekend. Do you remember who drew those issues? Was it Romita Sr.?
Pretty sure it was Romita Jr.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #46
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Pretty sure it was Romita Jr.
Yes. I know for a fact it was JRJR
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #47
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Good one. I'm not sure when it started either, but it was definitely before the X-Men movie, IMHO. I think it was already in full force back in the Jubilee-is-Wolverine's-bestie days. They were trying to get the old dynamic Wolverine had with Kitty Pryde, but wow, did they miss that.

It would be interesting to determine exactly where it began, but honestly, I'm betting it began the very moment that Marvel realized that Wolverine was the massive hit-character he's become. I mean, back in the Frank Miller/killing everyone in the Hellfire Club days, did any of us think he'd become the sometimes-violent grumpy old codger he's become? He's basically like Ben Grimm with claws, now--and I mean no disrespect to Benjy, but we already had one of him.
Well feel free to read Rick Remender's version of Logan...THAT is the best Logan in decades.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #48
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

My list is:

Spiderman - One More Day - I stopped collecting Spider-man for the first time since 1988. Still not reading it now.

The return of Superman - Why kill him in the first place? Money-grab? Sensationalist headllines? They should have had Doomsday beat him so bad that he had to be buried in the Fortress of Solitude for 25 comic timeline years or something...to rejuve'

New writer on Deadpool - Daniel Way...ugh. Dropped it until Marvel NOW. I had been reading DP since Circle Chase.

Justice League - New 52...wait I dropped ALL DC books because of this.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #49
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

I pretty much lost the sense of wonder and honeymoon phase when...

ONE MORE DAY happened... It's the biggest example for me. I still harbor a grudge today that I cannot grow up enough to move past I miss the married Parkers.

Marvel Now happened... I dropped all but 4 comic books. 1 of which is ending in Mark Waid's printed Daredevil. It's been a slow burn and a long time coming for me to say goodbye. I appreciate what they are doing now, but realize that maybe after 27 years of reading that comics aren't for me anymore in the monthly format.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #50
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59 View Post
I pretty much lost the sense of wonder and honeymoon phase when...

ONE MORE DAY happened... It's the biggest example for me. I still harbor a grudge today that I cannot grow up enough to move past I miss the married Parkers.

Marvel Now happened... I dropped all but 4 comic books. 1 of which is ending in Mark Waid's printed Daredevil. It's been a slow burn and a long time coming for me to say goodbye. I appreciate what they are doing now, but realize that maybe after 27 years of reading that comics aren't for me anymore in the monthly format.
As much as I enjoy the reads...yeah, I'm seeing the end of my collecting days too. At least current stuff. Pretty sad.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote