Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #24671
protector2814
Phoenix

Zombies Of Mora Tau - 1957 (6/10) The older I get & discover or rediscover these old horror chestnuts, the more I see how they subtly influenced modern horror. There's no way George Romero did not see & love this movie. You see Night Of The Living Dead all over it. Swank gang of treasure seekers follow a long line of murdered treasure seekers searching for sunken treasure on the island of Mora Tau. Zombie protectors guard the treasure. Really, some great visual moments & tons of campy, 1950's fun.

The Werewolf - 1956 (7/10) Before the Universal horror movies made the jump to free-syndication in the late 50's (not anymore), American Boomer kids had never seen the Wolfman movies. Along came this film & it really was the introduction of werewolf mythology on pop-culture film. Honestly, this film was pretty damn good. The werewolf in this one wasn't bitten. He became a wolfman on account of 2 bad scientists trying to come up with a serum that would protect survivors of a nuclear war against extreme odds like strong animals would in the wild!?! Go figure. Needless to say, he looks great. He lurks in the mountains of California w/ their snow & lumberjacky citizens. His make-up is great for the time & there are actually a few scary moments.

If you're a fan of the old stuff, both these movies are well worth a watch.

* Both films are best viewed after or while enjoying a couple of belts.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #24672
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Halloween (2018) - 7.5/10 (I wasn't blown away, the movie didnt have any of the suspense of the original, but its still better than most of the other halloween sequels)

Venom - 6.5/10 (this movie just felt awkward, I cant get over the venom without spidey thing, if it wasnt for the china audience I think this movie would have tanked)

Intruder - 8/10 (this was one of those really fun horror movies with an entertaining setting - a supermarket, it even has a really short cameo from none other than bruce campbell)

Village of the Damned - 6/10 (it was fun seeing Christopher Reeves in a non-superman role though)

They Live - 7/10 (what did I watch? one of the strangest movies I've ever seen, good 80's fun)

Nightmare Beach - 7/10 (most of the acting was just horrendous but there was something oddly really fun about this late 80's horror gem)

Super Troopers 2 - 7/10 (fun movie, being Canadian I liked the US/Canada border rivalry in the movie, and I thought the people playing the "canadians" were really funny)
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:32 AM   #24673
Frankierock
Omega Red

The Greatest Showman- 7.5/10

Wasn't looking for this , stumbled on it just flipping through channels.watched for a few minutes and was instantly hooked.
Living in NY and having Coney Island in your Backyard, where this "freak show" attraction basically lived for a long time, it was nice to see it take shape in the movie.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:12 PM   #24674
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

A Star Is Born (2018) - A musician helps a young singer find fame, even as age and alcoholism send his own career into a downward spiral.

The songs and musical performances get a perfect rating. I downloaded the soundtrack as soon as I got home from the cinema. The story is nothing new, clearly, but I found the acting to be rather strong. A surprisingly very good movie. 8/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #24675
built2shred
Phoenix

I just saw A Star Is Born last night... To be honest I was a bit bored with it... I thought the chemistry between the actors was rather weak and you can tell Lady Gaga has never acted before, sure she was ok but no way does she deserve a Oscar nomination for that role... I thought the music was good... overall I would rate it 6.5/10... I thought the remake before with Barbara Streisand/Kris Kristofferson was a lot better, plus they seemed to have way better chemistry on screen..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #24676
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I enjoyed A Star is Born. I agree Gaga doesn't deserve the acting award nominations she's getting, but she completely deserves all of the musical nominations/wins for the songs in the movie. I also think Bradley Cooper was phenomenal in the movie, and wouldn't be mad at all if he won for best actor.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #24677
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I just saw A Star Is Born last night... To be honest I was a bit bored with it... I thought the chemistry between the actors was rather weak and you can tell Lady Gaga has never acted before, sure she was ok but no way does she deserve a Oscar nomination for that role... I thought the music was good... overall I would rate it 6.5/10... I thought the remake before with Barbara Streisand/Kris Kristofferson was a lot better, plus they seemed to have way better chemistry on screen..
That's fine although the general consensus seems to be the opposite with this remake being a hit with both critics and the general public while the 70s version is considered mediocre.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #24678
ParisDean

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) - The story of the legendary rock band Queen and lead singer Freddie Mercury, leading up to their famous performance at Live Aid (1985).

Rami Malek was very good as Freddy Mercury, but the rest of the movie wasn't--another by-the-numbers biopic. The recreation of the Live Aid performance at the end was well done though. 6/10
Old 01-25-2019, 06:58 PM   #24679
built2shred
Phoenix

Hey ParisDean were on a trend here, I just watched Bohemian Rhapsody last night...

I'm a big fan of Queen's music so I really enjoyed that part of the movie, also seeing how some of their songs came about was kind of cool.. But I agree the story was kind of meh the way it was told but like you said Rami Malek did a great job being Freddy Mercury...

I'd give it 7/10
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:46 PM   #24680
ParisDean

I'm supposed to see The Wife starring Glenn Close and Cold War this weekend so watch those movies next.