Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #21
pwimrbarnes
Justice League

I think once Rodriguez made the "Be lucky you're never around me" tweet, Cho had every right to troll him. I personally wouldn't want a teenage character drawn in a provocative way (I actually prefer my comics/sketches/commissions with as little cheesecake as possible), but I thought the original was just a goofy Manara parody sketch cover.
pwimrbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #22
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

OK, caught up …. Not sure that was worth the time to find all of this out but at least I know the story

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #23
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

i still want a Cho piece. a naughty Eve maybe. hahaha!
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:33 PM   #24
Landroid
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

You can probably guess where I stand on this.
Landroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #25
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1919 View Post

All I know is that Robbi did his first commission for me for $30.....and killed it. Put the effort of a $500 piece into it, has been an absolute pleasure to talk to and interact with at cons, and has killed every single commission I've gotten from him over the years. Cho would barely talk to me at the first show I met him at.
Funny, I had the same exact experience. Met Cho at SE NY last year, literally I was the only person in his line for his signing in the makeshift marvel booth. Not barely an acknowledgement.

For what its worth, I'm also team Robbi on this one. Sure his reaction was a bit extreme when the first sketch cover came out, but Spidergwen is his baby. And the first 'response' by Cho was clever I guess. But now at sketch cover #8 or whatever it is, it seems pretty petty to me.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:47 PM   #26
BillC
Hellboy

Does Cho do commissions usually, and are they pricey?

I dont read any of the newer stuff so Im not sure who most current artists are
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:47 AM   #27
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

It was an interesting and complicated story to see unfold.

I think both started off on a bad note, I even feel Cho was in the right when he had made just the Spider-Gwen piece (though I was bothered a bit by his adding Spidey to add a hey look at this sexy teen bit) as it was at least nowhere nearly bad as that original Manara.

But as he kept going it was pretty obvious Cho didn't want to hear any criticisms and blamed it all on "fake fans" or however he'd call them. Plus I actually consider his later pieces that followed the Gwen piece a lot tackier.

So I've honestly taken a mental note since the fiasco to avoid his work.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #28
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Hmmm...wasn't really following the situation at all and I think if they both walked away at the beginning, it would have just gone away but Cho does seem to be taking this a bit too far.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #29
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Personally, I find all the cheesecake stuff to be mostly noise that I try to filter out. A lot of it has gone over the top and can be very distasteful, even disgusting. Not saying that Cho or Campbell fall into this category as I do not follow this stuff at all but it all gets grouped into the noise category for me. I am into comics, superheroes, the Cinematic Marvel universe, great art, great stories, etc. and I just don’t get the appeal of the other stuff for the most part. Note: I have seen several Hughes and Campbell pieces that I don’t find to be distasteful but also not anything I would want to purchase. So, my view is probably a very outside view of this corner of the hobby. I do get why Robbi didn’t like the Gwen sketch as I would probably not like it if I had created the character. I think he is within his rights to voice his opinion. The words he used were poorly chosen and probably based on emotion and maybe a knee-jerk reaction, hence the flame war that ensued. If he had taken a deep breath, he might have realized that it is a single sketch that was not going to get published and that this type of thing was outside of his control. A more measured response would have been better. The flame war has caused a ton more exposure to the sketch and spawned many more. The biggest issue I have with the sketch is Gwen being a teenager. As a father of a teenager (2 actually), I find this to be distasteful and really bothersome. Do you have to go there? Really? C’mon man! I totally agree that Cho has taken the spotlight and run with it, maybe trying to squeeze as much limelight out of the fiasco as possible – who knows.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote