Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-21-2017, 03:23 PM   #31
Dokstarr
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Yeah the prices were fair. Nothing outrageous. A few pages sold fairly quickly and others seemed to start moving after a few minutes.
I thought about going for one of the splashes but changed my mind last night. I really like the Batman Who Laughs but would rather get a real good Joker piece from whatever next arc he is in or if something ever pops up later on one of the auction sites.

I didn't bother looking when they went on, so I didn't see the prices. How much were they going for? Say the key ones approximately - the big cracking splash, and a few of the others.

As for the topic at hand - I wouldn't say desensitized as much as understanding pricing, reps, "tax" certain characters and artists, etc.

The first piece of art I ever bought was two page splash of one of the pivotal scenes from Chew. I believe I paid 600 at the time for it and couldn't believe that I spent that much money for a "drawing". I was at a convention and that issue had just come out. I went by the Chew booth and was talking to Rob and he told me I could see the art in his portfolio. I never knew artists sold the original art before that. I just assumed the artists were always selling prints or doing sketches. I just never thought about it before.

I've learned the fact that something is worth whatever someone will pay for it. I've gone much higher on some pieces than I ever planned and then regret missing others for not going higher.

Price also doesn't affect how much I enjoy a piece. A few of my favorites that I have framed and hung are covers I spent 200 on and others are super expensive ones that make me reconsider some of my choices in life.
Dokstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #32
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

most pages were in the 700-800. The page where Batman kills the robins was 1200. Most of the DPS were in the 1200 range.

Last edited by MONSTER; 11-21-2017 at 03:54 PM.
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #33
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

There are things that I would 100 percent buy at auction 3 yrs ago and I would win. I can't touch these now, I don't understand how everyone became rich overnight besides me. I have to be content over paying on panel pages as that's all I can afford. Every once in a while I do find a ok price.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #34
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
There are things that I would 100 percent buy at auction 3 yrs ago and I would win. I can't touch these now, I don't understand how everyone became rich overnight besides me. I have to be content over paying on panel pages as that's all I can afford. Every once in a while I do find a ok price.
It has started to feel that way. I think everyone started making 4 times what they did a few years ago.....except me.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #35
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Yeah, if I haven't bought art in awhile, I usually get the itch. I am at the point now but the pricing of pieces I want is just too much for me to justify.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:57 PM   #36
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

2 things: Payment plans and PayPal credit. Makes these prices bearable in most ppl minds.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #37
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
2 things: Payment plans and PayPal credit. Makes these prices bearable in most ppl minds.
credit for art is definitely one way I'd never go. if I don't have disposable cash for it, its an easy pass.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #38
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
credit for art is definitely one way I'd never go. if I don't have disposable cash for it, its an easy pass.
No interest for 6 months to 2 years.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #39
khazano
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Artwork from the 80s - 90s is almost impossible to buy affordably anymore. Current (post 2013) is being valued at tommorows prices today by most dealers.

But

If early to mid 2000s is your thing. It's actually a great time to buy IMO. I see a lot of correlation in auction result prices between that market and the early 90s market when I first got into the hobby.

By and large no one really wants the stuff and a lot is being sold at auction for less than it was priced 10-15 years ago. (Back then dealers were also charging tommorow prices for that stuff too and we were all debating on the comicart-l about how expensive it was all getting... Notice a pattern?)
khazano is offline   Reply With Quote