Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #1231
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Side...EAAOSwIk9aXWFg

wtf is this sh_t? 11" pvc version from china, how does even happen - digital scan? any kind of action SS can take against bs like this?
They're doing the same to the Spider-man PF. I report as many as I can find.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #1232
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Sideshow-Wolverine-Brown-Costume-Premium-Format-Exclusive-X-Men-Figure/162854431067?hash=item25eae1695b:g:gLEAAOSwIk9aXWFg

wtf is this sh_t? 11" pvc version from china, how does even happen - digital scan? any kind of action SS can take against bs like this?
Sh!t is right. Looks like it too.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #1233
bangooface
Blue Falcon

It's says NECA as a brand...
bangooface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #1234
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Doubt ssc can do anything about it since it's not the same scale.

I google the box name and it says Tianbaotoys not Neca. Looks like they are selling legit stuff also or it's really well done recast toys.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #1235
danteipp
Hellboy

Expanding on what VS1976 said, in this instance, I am not sure Sideshow would really care that much. This isn't a "quality" recast in the same scale and comparable materials designed to impact Sideshow's market. This is essentially a cheap knockoff, not even close to the SS version and using PVC.

Odds are there are a lot of these sold locally in toy shops/kiosks and bought by collectors who aren't looking for 1/4 scale statues but smaller PVC figures. If anyone is going to be impacted, it might be companies like Kotobukiya, NECA, etc.

I am not saying it is right (it isn't), but the best that can be done is probably reporting listings like these on eBay and just try to close off that sale avenue. It probably isn't worth it for SS to do much else. At least for these products.

What they need to worry about is some of the more complex recasts, which might have been made from molds taken from factories SS uses. That is a security issue and probably far more damaging to SS.
danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #1236
SONICobra
Batman

but they are still basically "stealing" from SS as SS paid for the sculpt and production of the original statue. i mean i guess we all know better and this looks like absolute dog sh_t in the pictures so anyone who buys this deserves what they get... but the fact that it happens is beyond unacceptable
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #1237
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
but they are still basically "stealing" from SS as SS paid for the sculpt and production of the original statue. i mean i guess we all know better and this looks like absolute dog sh_t in the pictures so anyone who buys this deserves what they get... but the fact that it happens is beyond unacceptable
I know I would be pissed off if it was me who spent time creating the statue and producing it, no matter what size it has been reproduced and sold. Especially when it was done so poorly.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #1238
bangooface
Blue Falcon

He is also selling ssc spider man as well.
bangooface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #1239
AC_808
Hercules

Crazy!

Just from the aspect of someone stealing your work to benefit from it ...would piss me off. Basically someone getting a free ride off of you.
AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #1240
danteipp
Hellboy

One thing to add, if there is any recourse, I am sure Disney does their best to try and take care of issues like this. They are very protective of their properties and trademarks and that assuredly includes their Marvel franchise. They are very litigious and probably employ teams of people to investigate larger concerns and apply pressure where they can.

It may not be individual sellers, but if the problem becomes large enough, they will probably eventually get around to looking into the issue and any larger distributors or producers of knockoff goods.

Unfortunately this is a big issue impacting many areas. You have knockoffs and reproductions of clothes (from fashion to sports gear), bags, shoes, electronics, medicine (and I am not talking generics but illegal labs cranking out discount meds that could be very dangerous), artwork, etc.

As long as there is a quick buck to be made, there will probably be scammers. But I would be all for harsh penalties for these black market counterfeiters and especially identity thieves. To me, those people are even worse, especially those who prey on the elderly.
danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote