Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #21
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I don't mind paying upfront or upon completion, my biggest beef is extended waiting periods, or not being updated when 'other priorities' arise. I wish artists would tell you when there is going to be a delay, or simply NOT accept the commission in the first place if it isn't going to be priority, it's kind of underhanded. Sitting in the dark for weeks, sometimes months on essentially a paid-for product isn't OK.

Like ordering at a fast food place, they say "Coming right up!", you wait for an hour, then going up to the counter and they say "Oh, well something came up at our other job, so....". Then why did you accept the order??
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #22
bnmauney

I agree with pretty much everything everyone's said thus far. The only thing for me is that what constitutes a "good" experience or a "bad" experience is still highly subjective.

To give a specific example, I paid Lee Weeks $400 in full upfront for a single character full figure commission in the opening minutes of the first day of this year's Heroes Con back in June. There were only a handful of people ahead of me when I got on the list and not all of them were getting a full figure.

I checked in with Lee toward the end of the day Friday and he indicated that it was looking like he wouldn't get around to it until late Saturday. So, I waited until mid-day Saturday before following up, and he told me that his daughter had flown in to surprise him for Father's Day and he wasn't sure if he'd get around to it that night or not. I then waited until late in the day Sunday before checking in one last time. At this point Lee informed me that he wouldn't be able to get my piece done at the show. He offered to give me my money back but said that he'd very much like the opportunity to do it at home and send it to me. He also promised a better quality piece than I'd paid for. He was very apologetic and gave me one of his prints "for the wait." Given that my money had already been tied up all weekend and it was too late to try to spend it on anything else, and considering that Lee seemed a pretty stand-up guy and I'd never heard a negative story about him, I opted to have him do it at home. He took my contact information and promised me a quick turnaround time, but he asked that I make the initial contact after the con "just in case."

I waited a week after the con before emailing him, and he responded in about three days. He estimated that he would have all of his Heroes take home pieces completed within two weeks.

The two weeks came and went without a word, but I'd already read that he was starting a new Superman book for DC and figured that it'd take longer, so I wasn't sweating it to much. As a matter of fact, I didn't try contacting him again until two weeks ago. I've yet to get a response.

So, while I'm not ready to call this "good" or "bad," how would you guys feel about it? I know that many of you, as well as myself, have waited much longer on commissions with less communication.

My point in all of this is that some of you would never have done what I did, while other have done the same without batting an eye.

For me, personally, $400 is a lot to have floating out there in the ether for three months without any idea when I'll get something for my investment. I probably won't be doing that again.
bnmauney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #23
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Lee's a stand up dude. While the wait is longer and I personally get annoyed if something isn't done at show as promised, you will have a better quality piece done at home. I'd shoot him a note whenever you feel it's time to do so - I'm sure he'll respond.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #24
Mfinn123
Hydra

I think you all know I commission a whole bunch of One Minute Laters-- here are the two things I've liked least -- one, sitting on an artists list and when my number comes up, they tell me that their prices have increased substantially? I would much rather be offered the opportunity to "lock in" and pay upfront versus wait and wait and then be told oh, my new rate is 250% higher than the one you signed up for. I've had two artists do that and I walked away from both as neither told me at the time that was how they were working. Second, I don't like it when artists try to take the money and not produce anything. I've had that a few times and always ended up getting my money or the piece (at least so far) but it has taken some pretty heroic efforts to get it. Other than those two things, I've always enjoyed commissioning and have had much fun.

As for the two artists who raised their rates, they know who they are. As for folks who were very difficult, two were S. Clarke Hawbaker and Craig Hamilton. There were others but they just refunded the money and we both moved on.
Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #25
Behold Gravitas
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmauney View Post
For me, personally, $400 is a lot to have floating out there in the ether for three months without any idea when I'll get something for my investment. I probably won't be doing that again.
This is how I feel and typically that's what keeps me from doing an at-home commission - unless it's a pretty guaranteed pick-up at a show I'm attending soon.

Lee offered me the same option at Heroes. I had a good experience with him prior but it was a small headshot at a show. I lucked out at Heroes because it was a jam piece, so I would have gone with the refund.

Not much consolation, but he's going to be at NYCC, if you want I can always pop by his table and ask him about your commission (or at least remind him) if you haven't heard back from him by then.
Behold Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #26
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfinn123 View Post
I think you all know I commission a whole bunch of One Minute Laters-- here are the two things I've liked least -- one, sitting on an artists list and when my number comes up, they tell me that their prices have increased substantially? I would much rather be offered the opportunity to "lock in" and pay upfront versus wait and wait and then be told oh, my new rate is 250% higher than the one you signed up for. I've had two artists do that and I walked away from both as neither told me at the time that was how they were working. Second, I don't like it when artists try to take the money and not produce anything. I've had that a few times and always ended up getting my money or the piece (at least so far) but it has taken some pretty heroic efforts to get it. Other than those two things, I've always enjoyed commissioning and have had much fun.

As for the two artists who raised their rates, they know who they are. As for folks who were very difficult, two were S. Clarke Hawbaker and Craig Hamilton. There were others but they just refunded the money and we both moved on.
This has come up for me a couple times over the years. My waitlist has in the past gotten so long that by the time I reach people, it's been a couple years and my rates have gone up. I've only raised rates a few times over the years, but that's the downside of a super long list. I feel that since I don't take any money up front and I don't make any promises except my assurance that I will contact the person when I reach their name and offer them a chance to get a commission, that I don't owe an apology when this comes up. I wish I was faster and able to check names off quick enough that the price didn't change on people after they got on the list, but I'm not.

For my 2 cents on the old rates thing. If I were to "lock in" people to a rate, I'd never be able to raise the rate and make a better living in any sort of timely manner as many on the list would have a rate from years ago. I never take it personally if the rate increase is a deal breaker for anyone and hopefully they understand why the increase is a necessary part of business.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:53 PM   #27
Mfinn123
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
This has come up for me a couple times over the years. My waitlist has in the past gotten so long that by the time I reach people, it's been a couple years and my rates have gone up. I've only raised rates a few times over the years, but that's the downside of a super long list. I feel that since I don't take any money up front and I don't make any promises except my assurance that I will contact the person when I reach their name and offer them a chance to get a commission, that I don't owe an apology when this comes up. I wish I was faster and able to check names off quick enough that the price didn't change on people after they got on the list, but I'm not.

For my 2 cents on the old rates thing. If I were to "lock in" people to a rate, I'd never be able to raise the rate and make a better living in any sort of timely manner as many on the list would have a rate from years ago. I never take it personally if the rate increase is a deal breaker for anyone and hopefully they understand why the increase is a necessary part of business.
Chris, those are all very sensible reasons and certainly a good basis for not wanting to let folks "lock in" as you too would be locked in and unable to raise rates. Artists are under no obligation to maintain their rates for the people on their list.

Speaking personally, it is a disapointment when my turn has come up and the artist says that they have a new much higher rate. It has happened a few times and I was surprised each time because (to me) there had been no communication that it was even a possibility. The artist said my rates are $XX and I have you on the list. That to me means I am going to pay the quoted rate. If the person said, you are on my list and when your # comes, you will have the chance to commission me at my then current rate, I completely understand that and can be prepared for it.

(I don't want to name the artists because in one case their agent conceded he had not told anyone in line about the possibility of rate increases so I was pretty unhappy that the communication hadn't been better. In the other case, I have no recollection of ever being told the rate might increase but perhaps I somehow was and just didn't pay attention which means the error is on me.

I certainly wasn't suggesting artists cannot or shouldn't raise rates; just trying to suggest that it might be useful for artists to let folks on waitlists know that when their number comes, they will be paying the then-current rate. Maybe that is completely understood and I missed the boat - that is equally possible.
Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #28
Xtreme2280

I waited about little more than two months for the Ultron piece from Jeff. Worth it? I think so and heck, he felt bad enough to add alot more detail than asked for. But if I'm chasing an artist the next year for a piece I had ordered the year before, that's the first and last time that'll happen no matter who the artist is. Important enough to take my money, at some point it has to be important enough to get finished.
Xtreme2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:03 AM   #29
snappahead
Producer
Producer

Understood. I take it for granted that it's understood that rates change over time, but maybe I should be as upfront about that as possible in the future.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:41 AM   #30
bnmauney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behold Gravitas View Post
Not much consolation, but he's going to be at NYCC, if you want I can always pop by his table and ask him about your commission (or at least remind him) if you haven't heard back from him by then.
Thanks, I really appreciate the offer, but I'm not really too concerned about it just yet.

While I would have liked to have gotten the artwork by now or at least have gotten a response to my last email, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and continue to be patient.

I was just trying to use that situation as one particular example where despite me being a little frustrated, I'm not prepared to call it a "bad" experience, whereas I'm sure that there are others who would, and just how subjective these kinds of things can be.
bnmauney is offline   Reply With Quote