Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #1001
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
So, ask yourself this, given that the production plant will never produce something as stunning as the artists prototype, why does Sideshow use the artists prototype for the advertisment? Why don't they wait until they have a first off manufacturing sample and advertise that? I think everyone knows the answer to this, and it has nothing to do with time frames (at least as far as I can see).
So SS should wait before they have factory samples before they put items up for pre-order? What other company in the industry does this?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:37 AM   #1002
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

I think it should be the other way around. Sideshow should paint their prototypes to a level that the factory can reasonably reproduce. That's what most/all other companies do, as far as I know
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #1003
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
So SS should wait before they have factory samples before they put items up for pre-order? What other company in the industry does this?
Pre-ordering is something of a nasty habit in this industry, given that people are actually allocating their funds to a company well in advance of getting anything for it. If you add to that the uncertainty of the final quality of what you're getting (when compared to what is advertised), I think it's very reasonable to expect a company to go to any length to ensure customer "satisfaction" at the point of financial exchange. To do that I would suggest a company should (at the very least) show you the product you're expected to recieve at the close of the transaction. A factory sample would suit that requirement.

At the moment, the first company that springs to mind that seems to be doing this is Gaming Heads. The advertised piece contains flaws, you can see them, and those same flaws are there in the final (take home) product. I think this is a wise move on their part, as it gives the customer a true view of what they're getting (warts and all) and theres no room for complaint afterwards. Managing expectations is all we collectors really want.

The prices at Gaming Heads are also very reasonable!!
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #1004
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
I think it should be the other way around. Sideshow should paint their prototypes to a level that the factory can reasonably reproduce. That's what most/all other companies do, as far as I know
I think that maybe more realistic but the in house painters would have to leave the ego at the door to do that.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #1005
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
this would also be an acceptible solution!
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:49 AM   #1006
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
I think that maybe more realistic but the in house painters would have to leave the ego at the door to do that.
Even if this hobby revolves around passion, let's not forget this is a job for those involved into production. This includes sculptors and proto painters, they're paid to do what they do.
We all know that a pro painter with all the time of this world can perfectly paint a statue with unmatched realism, but that's just academic if the factories can't replicate it.
Another example to me is PCS, I think all their paint masters are done by the same artist (Najera), and you can tell that he puts different levels of paint app on different pieces. The filmation MotU pieces simply don't have the level of detail that he puts in 1:3 pieces, for example, or 1:1 busts.
Does this diminish his talent or work? Absolutely not. It's simply a fair practice towards the customers.

Also, companies receive counter samples from China quite early, so they can compare their paint master vs chinese painted pieces before they green light mass production. The whole "we discover final quality only after we have made thousands of pieces and changes are not possible" is a ridicolous excuse.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #1007
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
The reason this isn't being done is because if people saw what they were actually going to receive, they wouldnt be so willing to drop $500+ on these things. An amazing prototype=pre-orders.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #1008
Hunterkingxxl
Luke Cage

True that Silas! Big fan of GH too.
Hunterkingxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #1009
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Pre-ordering is something of a nasty habit in this industry, given that people are actually allocating their funds to a company well in advance of getting anything for it. If you add to that the uncertainty of the final quality of what you're getting (when compared to what is advertised), I think it's very reasonable to expect a company to go to any length to ensure customer "satisfaction" at the point of financial exchange. To do that I would suggest a company should (at the very least) show you the product you're expected to recieve at the close of the transaction. A factory sample would suit that requirement.

At the moment, the first company that springs to mind that seems to be doing this is Gaming Heads. The advertised piece contains flaws, you can see them, and those same flaws are there in the final (take home) product. I think this is a wise move on their part, as it gives the customer a true view of what they're getting (warts and all) and theres no room for complaint afterwards. Managing expectations is all we collectors really want.

The prices at Gaming Heads are also very reasonable!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterkingxxl View Post
True that Silas! Big fan of GH too.
I have Gaming Head's Lara Croft Survivor Exclusive and Lunging Kratos Exclusive and the paint on both fell short of adquately resembling the prototypes for me.

Still better than the disappointment I have had from Sideshow however.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #1010
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Other companies do this... and in fact have changed things on their statue proto (before PO) when a factory said they'd have trouble reproducing it. SS makes an advertisement piece, the factory being able to reproduce it isn't even second thought as it's not on their mind at all :|
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote