Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-31-2008, 05:39 AM   #11
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I only bid a maximum of twice -

If there is something that I really want that is at a bargain opening bid, and nobody else has bid yet, then I will just put the minimum bid in to stop any changes being made to the auction (eg: the seller noticing his mistake and putting a reserve on it)

The only other time is just before the item ends and I will put in a bid for the absolute maximum amount that I am willing to pay for it.

If I get it great, if I don't then it went for more than I wanted to pay anyway.
Dan_Lebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:06 AM   #12
Immovable Blob
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

So many tactics when it comes to bidding. Like most I used to wait until the last 30 seconds and bid; however these days I can't be bothered and just bid my maximum right off the mark. That way I don't pay more than I want to and either get it or not.
Immovable Blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:19 AM   #13
AJRodriquez
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I have to agree - I put up my maximum bid right from the start, if it goes past it - then it wasn't meant to be.
AJRodriquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:34 AM   #14
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Course if the maximum you can afford is $36 dollars for a piece of art that should go for over $300, you have other issues.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:38 AM   #15
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRodriquez View Post
I have to agree - I put up my maximum bid right from the start, if it goes past it - then it wasn't meant to be.
I don't do this because it gives others more time to put in repeat bids until they have beaten your maximum.

For example, if there are only two of you bidding on an item then here's how it goes...

The current bid is £2 by only one other bidder.

6 days before the end you put your maximum bid in of say £60 and EBay puts in a bid of £3 for you to make you the highest bidder. The other person now has 6 days in which to make further bids of £10 (EBay bids £11 for you), £15 (ebay bids £16 for you), £20 (EBay bids £21 for you), and so on and eventually the other bidder gets the item for £61.

If you'd waited until the last minute to put your £60 bid in then EBay would have bid your £3 for you, the other person may only have had time to put in his £10 bid before the auction ended and you'd have gotten your item for £11.

Even if you do end up winning with the bid that you put in 6 days before the end, you've still given the other person time to put in further bids and hike the price up to more than you'd have had to pay if you'd just waited.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
ecthelion
Hydra

That's true, but I have had so many times when I had to get up in the freakin' middle of the night (time-difference ) and got outbid in the last 5 second because somebody has a faster internet connection than me. So annoying.
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
Dan_Lebou
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecthelion View Post
That's true, but I have had so many times when I had to get up in the freakin' middle of the night (time-difference ) and got outbid in the last 5 second because somebody has a faster internet connection than me. So annoying.
I did that when I first started using Ebay. Now I just put my max bid in just before I go to bed and if I don't get it then hey, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it
Old 08-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #18
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Everytime I sell comic book art on Ebay. I have 3 people that bid on every freaking auction I have. They bid between $6, and $60. I have never ever, ever, ever in 6 years of selling.. Ever sold anything to these guys. Is anyone else a loser on here who bids $1 on every page.

I for one don't have time to delete 3,000 outbid notices a day. Plus when the auction is almost up, you get another email. Who are these people that do not have lives.

Please don't give me that bullcrap that you never know you might get a deal. You are never going to get a perez cover for $18.

The thought of these people disturb me so much. I am almost tempted to put them on my non bidder list.

The question is, why the hell do you care? If you are bothered this much by something so ridiculous, I would hate to cut you off in rush hour traffic...you might have a heart attack on the spot.
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglebowski9999 View Post
The question is, why the hell do you care? If you are bothered this much by something so ridiculous, I would hate to cut you off in rush hour traffic...you might have a heart attack on the spot.
After many years of chatting on here. I'm just trying to bring something new to the table to talk about.

But the real question is, why the hell do you care to be bothered by adding your two cents.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #20
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
After many years of chatting on here. I'm just trying to bring something new to the table to talk about.

But the real question is, why the hell do you care to be bothered by adding your two cents.

Then we have officially run out of topics to discuss if this is all that is left. SF should be shut down immediately.
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote