Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-31-2014, 12:57 AM   #31
federico
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I personally don't get the logic of the proto. It's pointless and has been proved time after time that it is bad to work that way.

You make a proto with you top artists, but you can't announce with that proto, instead you should send the proto to factory and assist them to make the production sample finding any issue and problem there and solve there, once the production piece is done then you can announce the item WITH the PRODUCTION SAMPLE.
Customers should never see the proto piece because it's not what they would get later. It's too dangerous to create a dream and tell the customers the dream will come true.
By not doing that I think this company has serious problems from the administration and has no efficiency at all in their work and way to do the business.

If you really want to present the brand new cloth over new material like pvc please make sure to test it beforehand like one year with extreme conditions like high temperature or moisture to see if it's safe with the new materials. Different materials should be presented as options when open a new project and not as workaround solution in the middle of a project. This decision made by the company is reckless.

And best way to harm the relationship between the company and the customers by saying "never stated that all PFs were made of polystone" Should everyone call their lawyer to write every contract for each PO and sent to the company for signing? We may forget the basic principle of doing business between two parties is the mutual trust. With no trust making a simple PO with SS will become a risky business.
federico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:42 AM   #32
Synzaic
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakazulu View Post
I feel sideshow should of mentioned the superman premium format mos statue is pvc instead of polystone before people put in their preorder. Kind of reminds me of how hot toys sold their ironman hall of armor without mentioning it was just glorified styrofoam and not even plastic.
Well the first hall of armour was plastic....and the second hall of armour they DID let people know it was styrofoam. They did it to cut costs and shipping costs so it would cost half as much(so you can but 100 of them for every iron man)
Synzaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:39 PM   #33
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

I was completely unaware of the whole Superman PVC issue that has been taking place until earlier today. Personally, I don't think the statue looks bad, but I do agree 100% with everyone that has stated that Sideshow should clearly state exactly what materials are going to be used with each statue. Given the prices people are spending on many of these statues, there needs to be 100% transparancy in this regard. There is just no excuse for anything less. If Sideshow can't be open and honest with collectors....well, its only going to turn around and hurt them in the end.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:58 PM   #34
supermetroid
Teen Titans

I agree that SS should have mentioned they were using PVC.

My biggest question/concern is this: Why is the likeness still so far off considering PVC is ideal for likeness (go look at Blitway's Bruce Lee)? Is Blitzway's paint just that much better (for the head at least)?

It kind of makes me think so, considering this is the same sculpt with a new paint job from SF member d2-action (amazing job btw):

[IMG][/IMG]
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #35
CommanderZx2
Hellboy

There's nothing wrong with using plastics within a statue, if you use the material to best of its properties.

Plastics can offer additional detail in statues via being a lighter alternative and be semi transparent where necessary.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #36
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Not to start all over again but... Jerry in the PCS area just disclosed that for their 1:7 PVC line, he switched to polystone, due to bending concerns. Since in my opinion Jerry is one of the best sculptors around and really he seems to have a hell lot of 360 degree knowledge, I think his statement is something to consider.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:03 PM   #37
CommanderZx2
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Not to start all over again but... Jerry in the PCS area just disclosed that for their 1:7 PVC line, he switched to polystone, due to bending concerns. Since in my opinion Jerry is one of the best sculptors around and really he seems to have a hell lot of 360 degree knowledge, I think his statement is something to consider.
Well of course making a statue entirely out of PVC would be a bad idea, as it is a soft material that will bend. However making parts of a statue, which are not load-bearing, can be quite useful.

PVC is really good at looking like flesh and hair, therefore you could do the majority of the statue out of polystone and then finer details like hands, face and hair out of pvc.
CommanderZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #38
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderZx2 View Post
Well of course making a statue entirely out of PVC would be a bad idea, as it is a soft material that will bend.
Sigh#......why bother waking up in the morning?!?
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #39
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
This is what Jerry Said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post
Its a little premature for me to be discussing Batman as we havent even released any official images but before too much speculation takes place...

Originally the DC pieces were going to be PVC so we could keep the price down around ~ $125-150. But i didnt like the tests that I was seeing (plus I was worried about bending) so we switched to polystone. That means the price creeps up to ~$200ish

The scale is 1:7 . The total height of Batman from bottom of base to top of ears is 15" (38cm) so these are not tiny, but they arent 1:4 either.

These are meant to hang on a wall. As a collector I am out of shelf space but I do have wall space. its something I thought of because it works for me and I figure if it works for me it can work for other collectors.

That doesnt mean it works for everyone.

Can they be displayed on a shelf ? Technically yes but thats not what they are designed to do nor a priority in our design process.

The connections that mount to the wall could also mount to the back of a shelving unit. Its also possible to create a simple stand under the piece.

But again, its not designed for that so expect to use a little ingenuity to make it work.

We got so many emails inquiring about these after NYCC that we have really jumped into the other characters like Hawkman, Superman, Catwoman and others.

Some have lighting effects and some dont.

The Neal Adams style blue suit batman will be our PCS exclusive.
He is taking this route on the Batman statue due to the fact that it is meant to be hanged on a wall. The statue needs to be extremely secured and according to his test findings, it is not coming along as he envisions. He is not dropping the usage of PVC at all, but he is dropping the concept on this particular piece and line for engineering purposes.

He has been one of the most outspoken supporters of PVC for awhile, so we need to use his comments in context.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #40
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

I know he spoke multiple times in favor of PVC, in fact I brought him up in the Man of Steel thread. While he is not dumping PVC at all, he still mention to be worried about bending, an argument that someone in this thread (or MOS thread) dismissed. Think I'll ask directly in that thread to be more specific.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote