Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-30-2014, 06:45 AM   #11
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

A good chunk of the rant is due to two issues, which are not related to plastic di per se:
-SS didn't warn buying customers of the change in material
-the price is the same of any other polystone statue

So right now I have to drop 350€ for a bigger Hot Toys, basically, but without the awesome Hot Toys portrait. Something doesn't add up to me.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterkingxxl View Post
All collectors are hypocrites. As soon as SSC starts producing PVC/ABS (synthetic material whatever) statues in 1/4 scale with the detail of current statues or HotToys's and prices them at PF prices from yesteryear, all will buy.
The thing is, the Man Of Steel PF has a PVC head sculpt and it doesn't show. Ironically, it could pass as the same old Sideshow polystone human head - read, nowhere near as lifelike as Hot Toys et al. Which is too bad, as I had been championing for them to go that route for quite some time, but their paint apps are as lackluster as ever. Bummer.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #13
LordDark
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

i have been collecting PVC figures since 1995, i live in a hot weather area where temp could reach 45-50 c in summer, i have been seeing extreme leaning of figures, oily leakage all the time, in fact during my travels i always make sure the AC is open for the whole period ( i know, too much) .One of the reasons i shifted to polystones, resins....etc is because of this, if future statues are going to be made of PVC i need to know because i won't be able to own it.
LordDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

If Sideshow is using plastic in their statues and busts then I believe they must have thought it out well.
So far there products are solidly made and I do not think they will risk their reputation by suddenly releasing crappy produts only to make a quick profit.

I have been hoping for a comic book Juggernaut PF for quite some time and if Sideshow would release a great one made of plastic I would order it in a blink of a second. In the end I buy what I like regardless if it is made of polystone, vinyl, plastic etc.

Just my two cents however; YMMV.

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #15
COI

The "logic" some of you employ is freaking baffling.

If 99% (Igo's number) of premium formats are made with a specific material (polystone), it's both reasonable and expected that

1) customers who frequently buy premium formats would develop a preference for polystone, regardless of what it's composed of, how much it costs to make, how durable it is, or how similar or dissimilar it is to other materials...

and on this basis

2) be annoyed that a premium format was made, unbeknownst to buyers, by some material other than polystone.

It may not bother some of you, but I simply don't understand how or why you would try to diminish these concerns, when it's entirely reasonable that this criticism exists.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #16
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
The "logic" some of you employ is freaking baffling.

If 99% (Igo's number) of premium formats are made with a specific material (polystone), it's both reasonable and expected that

1) customers who frequently buy premium formats would develop a preference for polystone, regardless of what it's composed of, how much it costs to make, how durable it is, or how similar or dissimilar it is to other materials...

and on this basis

2) be annoyed that a premium format was made, unbeknownst to buyers, by some material other than polystone.

It may not bother some of you, but I simply don't understand how or why you would try to diminish these concerns, when it's entirely reasonable that this criticism exists.
as I said in the MoS thread, its entirely reasonable for buyers of the MoS piece to be upset that PVC was used without prior knowledge. Technically (as mentioned a million times), SS never stated that all PFs were made of polystone so they could ideally use any material to release the best product they can. Yes, we expect polystone, but it isn't in writing anywhere that you will get polystone.

I'm in this for the love of collecting and to hopefully get an end product that looks as close to the prototype as possible. I'm not here to see how much weight I can put on a shelf before it collapses.

As long as SS are taking the proper precautions using the PVC (that I'm sure they're well aware of), we'll be in good hands if/when the next PVC piece releases.
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #17
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterkingxxl View Post
Well done! Breaking this annoying, irritating and pointless argument we've had a thousand times on this forum.

All collectors are hypocrites. As soon as SSC starts producing PVC/ABS (synthetic material whatever) statues in 1/4 scale with the detail of current statues or HotToys's and prices them at PF prices from yesteryear, all will buy.

It's all a bit fan-boyish how some of you cry about how everything has to be made out of polystone. Look at the European and Asian market, which put out tons of high quality synthetic statues in large scale. Look at Goodsmile company, Freeing and other big manufacturers of statues. I have some of their early PVC statues and there hasn't been a single piece with issues.

My polystone statues however have shown paint flaking, cracking and breaks. I'm just as much a fan of polystone as I am of synthetic, so I don't get the whole crybaby attitude towards using synthetic materials in statues. If it would help lower the cost of these ridiculously priced PF's nowadays, please do so SSC.

Sorry to rant... just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Force of Nature View Post
If Sideshow is using plastic in their statues and busts then I believe they must have thought it out well.
So far there products are solidly made and I do not think they will risk their reputation by suddenly releasing crappy produts only to make a quick profit.

I have been hoping for a comic book Juggernaut PF for quite some time and if Sideshow would release a great one made of plastic I would order it in a blink of a second. In the end I buy what I like regardless if it is made of polystone, vinyl, plastic etc.

Just my two cents however; YMMV.

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
as I said in the MoS thread, its entirely reasonable for buyers of the MoS piece to be upset that PVC was used without prior knowledge. Technically (as mentioned a million times), SS never stated that all PFs were made of polystone so they could ideally use any material to release the best product they can. Yes, we expect polystone, but it isn't in writing anywhere that you will get polystone.

I'm in this for the love of collecting and to hopefully get an end product that looks as close to the prototype as possible. I'm not here to see how much weight I can put on a shelf before it collapses.

As long as SS are taking the proper precautions using the PVC (that I'm sure they're well aware of), we'll be in good hands if/when the next PVC piece releases.
I completely agree with you, guys.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #18
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I want all my future statues to be chiseled from a marble block!
So all your pieces could be referred to as "a chip off the old block"?
Old 10-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #19
gaijin
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Leaning issues do happen with polystone also ... it all depends on quality / sculpt maybe.

Eg psylocke pf, PCS vega, etc.
gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #20
Darkhumor
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I love how people keep saying "oh it isnt in writing that you'll get a polystone statue", when in fact 99% of their own product sold over the years, that they have been in business, is made out of polystone. If we didnt want these, we wouldnt be buying them. Now some of you guys want them to change it to pvc. I know I dont want PVC, so the moment they start making PVC statues, Ill be forced to buy elsewhere, simple as that.
Darkhumor is offline   Reply With Quote