Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 08-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #121
kakarot117
Kindly Asked To Leave

Problem with custom base is we shouldn't have to pay another 150 bucks for a cool base. It should come with the statue that we already paid 400 plus for. It's just gentle giant cutting corners.
kakarot117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:06 AM   #122
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

The only corner cutting GG is doing is saving us collectors money, so I don't mind the round acrylic bases they utilize at all. Their concentration and focus is all on the character, and I'm alright with that. Their statues are elite...top of the line. They don't need to include some elaborate base to prove that. Look at the Whisper Variant. It's already out in hand, it's already reviewed on youtube, and it's one of the most spectacular statues of such an obscure character I've ever seen in my life. Does that piece need an elaborate base just to show how good it is or how good it can be? No, it doesn't. It's ----ing crazy amazing.

With GG's engineering, attention to detail, their quality, and their stellar paint apps, Iron Patriot would've been well over $600 retail if they would've included the kind of 'cool' base you were looking for. Instead, I scored him for $100 under retail and couldn't have been happier about it. So people can go on collecting Sideshow if all they care about is a base with an exclusive coaster underneath to make them happy. I'll stay right here with the quality, detail, craftsmanship, and the clear, boring acrylic bases Gentle Giant is committed to.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:50 AM   #123
Spec Fiction
Speculative Fiction

Exactly. Most people get these pieces well below retail so another $150 for a custom base isn't so bad. If I did do them I would try to make them simple but unique. Not too over the top to Kee costs down, but not boring either.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:20 AM   #124
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

i can't believe this piece is not soldout yet at 380 ES and there are people picking the sideshow crap iron patriot with those horrible paints and thousands es over this statue which has near perfect paint app.

so happy i picked this one up, it looks epic in person and the paint is near flawless, very high quality.

gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #125
zxplee
Fantastic Four

The main problem I have with the piece is the stance.all that weight on one leg leaning out.It looks like it will break just by a strong breeze.310.00 plus shipping is alot on a piece you dont know if you can trust not to break
zxplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #126
AlizAbef

Unless you play with your statues the way you'd play with action figures, then this guy isn't going anywhere. He was built to last...believe me. I used to hate how wide his acrylic base was, but looking at it now, GG had to make it that big in order to stabilize his pose and keep him from tipping forward. His left leg is held in by two good screws which both thread deep enough into his foot to keep him upright. He weighs a lot too, and he's still not going anywhere. The screws and diameter of the base do their job very, very well. If you like Iron Man or Iron Patriot, love quality and one of the best Iron Man related paint jobs on a statue with a mega low edition size, then you'd be dumb as hell not to pick this one up.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #127
AlizAbef

I'll also say that no statue is perfect either. There are some minor knocks that I have with this GG Iron Patriot. The first are the smokey lines which outline most of the paneling throughout his armor. I'm not too sure why GG opted to do them that way, but it can be distracting at times...especially around his faceplate and legs. Those are the spots where it seems to stand out the most. Like I said, it's minor, and doesn't really take away from the meticulously awesome paint job it has, among others.

The second is a spot on the statue where GG seemed to have missed a point of accuracy from the film. I posted two pics...one of a screenshot, and one of the statue. On the statue, his upper bicep is painted red; however, if you look at the screenshot of IP, particularly at his upper bicep, it is shown with silver trim to accent the red. I know it's a little bit of an annoyance (at least for me)...especially when you see that Sideshow got theirs right on their poorly painted piece, but the all-red on Gentle Giant's is still painted very well and looks top-notch. I'd still and always will choose GG's piece over Sideshow's

Old 01-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #128
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
I'll also say that no statue is perfect either. There are some minor knocks that I have with this GG Iron Patriot. The first are the smokey lines which outline most of the paneling throughout his armor. I'm not too sure why GG opted to do them that way, but it can be distracting at times...especially around his faceplate and legs. Those are the spots where it seems to stand out the most. Like I said, it's minor, and doesn't really take away from the meticulously awesome paint job it has, among others.

The second is a spot on the statue where GG seemed to have missed a point of accuracy from the film. I posted two pics...one of a screenshot, and one of the statue. On the statue, his upper bicep is painted red; however, if you look at the screenshot of IP, particularly at his upper bicep, it is shown with silver trim to accent the red. I know it's a little bit of an annoyance (at least for me)...especially when you see that Sideshow got theirs right on their poorly painted piece, but the all-red on Gentle Giant's is still painted very well and looks top-notch. I'd still and always will choose GG's piece over Sideshow's
Let's see more of your collection I always get glimpses but have never seen it all
FastballSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:35 AM   #129
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxplee View Post
The main problem I have with the piece is the stance.all that weight on one leg leaning out.It looks like it will break just by a strong breeze.310.00 plus shipping is alot on a piece you dont know if you can trust not to break
I think you are confusing sideshow with gentle giant. They are not the same company and produces at vastly different quality levels just as a FYI.
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #130
zxplee
Fantastic Four

LoL. Ive gotten more broken statues from gentle giant than Sideshow by far.Sucker punch Samuri broken in center/gas mask hose broken on Zombie Sucker Punch.\Broken Helmut straps Sweet Pea/Artemisia broken hair/black widow broken gun holsters.But I digress.There was a question why has this statue not sold out yet with such a low ES.and I am tempted to buy it from spec.But for the fact I already have 1 statue that over the years have continued to lean do to gravity and is polystone. 2 scews in the foot does make me leary of buying it.And thx for the photos gagaliya
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140001.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	94255   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140006.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	94256  
zxplee is offline   Reply With Quote