Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-19-2017, 11:33 PM   #641
SuperDinoHunter
Hellboy

I was really excited for this movie, but was disappointed after seeing it. By the end of it I felt empty!!! I thought it was a fun and entertaining movie. It was nice to see the league members team up for the first time in cinematic history but overall it was underwhelming. I saw it opening night and then immediately the next day, I viewed it for a second time thinking maybe it just needed another viewing to appreciate. But still empty!

I had to think about why this was and came up with a few points that the movie was lacking and something the other DC films had.

I know the general audience didn’t like BVS, but in my opinion, that movie was a masterpiece. It was a really deep movie that felt with many thematic elements and it was grounded in the real world. I absolutely loved BVS. For the record, Man of Steel, BVS, and Wonder Woman all rank as fantastic movies all on the same level. I appreciated what Zack Snyder created with this take on these characters and stories.

This statue arrived a few days before the film opened because I thoroughly enjoyed armoured Batman from BVS! It is an epic statue by SS!

Here are some of the points as to why Justice League did not resonate with me:

1) It felt rushed and because of that the character and story elements were not fully explored or given an opportunity to develop. 2 hours was way too short for this scale of a movie.

2) the score that was non existent. Throughout the entire viewing, I was waiting for Han zimmer and junkie xl epic scores for Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman to play but only heard 10 sec of the man of steel and wonder woman’s theme. The previous DCEU films had beautiful scores that help support the characters and drive emotion. The scores is what has set these movies from other movies. I looked up who did the score for JL and found Danny Elfman composes the music. No disrespect to him but he created a mash up of scores that didn’t drive the story or characters besides the hint of the original Keaton and reeves themes from the past which for me, felt way outta place.

3) It did not feel like a Zack Snyder film. There were definitely plenty of moments where the visuals were stunning but there were also visual that felt again out of place. Because I loved the tone of the previous dc movies, this one felt like it took a 360 degree shift in tone and look. I immensely enjoyed what Zack has created in the previous movies and this did not line up with those. I personally wanted to see this planned trilogy completed the way Zack had envisioned from the start with his first entry Man of Steel. I am sad that I couldn’t get to see that end the way it was intended.

4) with the change in tone, it felt lighter and really campy when it was a direct continuation of BVS , Man of Steel and Wonder Woman. The stakes were not high and you didn’t feel like oh crap, things don’t look good. I guess you could say I wasnt invested or engaged in that moment. It was like it was missing things that made the previous film grand and epic but grounded in that real world.

5) some scenes the visual effects didn’t seem polished. And because of that, it took me out of it. Especially Superman face. The very first shot, in the cornfields and the end.

These are my thoughts. I hope I did not spoil anything. I honestly wished that Zack would have finished what he started and at least wrap up his trilogy the way he planned and wanted to. I Love what he has done this far. There will be audiences who liked the movie and audiences who didn’t. It was enjoyable for me but overall empty as there should have been more substance to its entirety.
SuperDinoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:49 PM   #642
junta
Fantastic Four

I liked the movie, but not as much as I should've with this being the Justice League. While some light moments hit the mark, others seemed to be forced in. Actions scenes were good, but the movie was over way too soon.

All this talk of "follow what Marvel has been doing" has made this less epic. It kinda felt like the Avengers and I hated the Avengers. Oh well, vocal fans win, I guess.
junta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:56 PM   #643
markuz30
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I LOVE THIS MOVIE. I don't care what other people would say. I don't rely on their opinion to decide if the movie is good or bad, or should I watch it or not. I watch movies because I want to be entertained and I WAS. The only thing I was hoping for is that I wish it was longer.

I don't get the point why some people are too harsh on DC movies while they can ignore a movie like Ragnarok in which they put HUMOR on every scene. I Watched all 3 THOR movies and the first two are more serious while the 3rd one is like watching a COMEDY MOVIE.
markuz30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:39 AM   #644
heykool69
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Just got back watching with family. We liked it.
Just curious why would the character at the 2nd ending credit be a thread to the JL?
heykool69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:50 AM   #645
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by heykool69 View Post
Just curious why would the character at the 2nd ending credit be a thread to the JL?
Think of an amoral Ultimate Captain America.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:36 AM   #646
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

YIKES...$96 million opening weekend at 4,051 locations. From a reported budget of $300 million.

Putting it in perspective...it's by far the lowest launch, trailing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ($166 million); Suicide Squad ($133 million); Man of Steel ($116 million); and Wonder Woman ($103 million).
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:18 AM   #647
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Custer View Post
Cinemascore is a good site to see how well the general audience is reacting to it. It currently has a B+ rating, while BvS had a B and Wonder Woman an A. With this in mind and seeing how people in this thread and in facebook are commenting, I would say this will be better received than BvS, but not as well as Wonder Woman.

And the current box office is definitely worrying, considering the number of cinemas and countries the movie already aired and some articles saying the movie has to make around 600 millions just to break even. But I hope it does make a good amount of money, since I actually liked most of the movie and I hope they continue to invest in the DCEU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
It might not have met box office projections, but I'm curious if the film has legs to stay in the top 10 for a while (which would say a lot). It's a fun film overall and damn entertaining.
You guys may be onto something. I saw it a second time with folks who have been pretty bullish on the DCEU thus far. They all loved it as did the kids we were with. I think this one will have really good word of mouth that hopefully translates into legs at the box office. Even our forum, which is typically pretty negative towards the WB DC stuff seems to have enjoyed the film; hell I would argue the consensus here is more positive than it was for Wonder Woman.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:19 AM   #648
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by heykool69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Think of an amoral Ultimate Captain America.
He would also be part of a larger Legion of Doom.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #649
dino76m
Kindly Asked To Leave

so they now know Kryptonians can be bought back from dead, so next Zod or Doomsday
dino76m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #650
actionjackson83
Midnighter

With no other competition other than star wars in december, this has a long way to go before it goes off into the sunset as a failure.
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote