Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #491
built2shred
Phoenix

That's from a dancer's perspective though, the medical field looks at it differently warns people it will probably cause knee issues down the road. In an article in Dancer Magazine (googled it) it says that todays instructors train dancers to avoid Hyperextending because it can do damage to the knee. It's also interesting that most dancers can't naturally hyperextend their knees. "" Hyperextended knees are a blessing and a curse. Sure, they can help achieve a beautiful classical line, but they signify naturally loose joints, putting hypermobile dancers at greater risk of injury ""

For me hyperextending the knee looks stupid, even when dancers do it, it's just not natural looking, it's like the guy who is double jointed and can make his elbow bend in the opposite direction, sure he can do it but do you want your statues to be sculpted that way?
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #492
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
That's from a dancer's perspective though, the medical field looks at it differently warns people it will probably cause knee issues down the road. In an article in Dancer Magazine (googled it) it says that todays instructors train dancers to avoid Hyperextending because it can do damage to the knee. It's also interesting that most dancers can't naturally hyperextend their knees. "" Hyperextended knees are a blessing and a curse. Sure, they can help achieve a beautiful classical line, but they signify naturally loose joints, putting hypermobile dancers at greater risk of injury ""

For me hyperextending the knee looks stupid, even when dancers do it, it's just not natural looking, it's like the guy who is double jointed and can make his elbow bend in the opposite direction, sure he can do it but do you want your statues to be sculpted that way?
Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buzz_Killington.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	109188  
ComicJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #493
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:

Dancer magazine is also from a dancers perspective ;P. No question hyperextension makes the knee more prone to injury. This can be (and is)overcome through strengthening the stabelizer muscles and knowing when and when not you should allow your legs to do it. Hyperextension is natural in some people to a degree.

Looked up things on the medical side. Most ballet injuries occur in adolecents who arent used to controlling their bodies. Knee injuries only account for about 16% of the total and hyperextension only accounts for a smaller part of that. It is said most professionals have hyperextension to some degree.

The real question isnt about taste, its “does it make the statue broken?”. It doesnt. Using hyperextension is a dancing skill whether or not it makes one prone to injury. If that were the case, SF Ken statues would be broken because he’s at risk of burning himself. Its not going to be to everyones taste. The hyperextension is considered classically beautiful and I guess at least some sculptors think so. Its not the focalpoint of the statue and is a real world occurrence so I dont see the problem.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #494
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySamurai View Post
Dancer magazine is also from a dancers perspective ;P. No question hyperextension makes the knee more prone to injury. This can be (and is)overcome through strengthening the stabelizer muscles and knowing when and when not you should allow your legs to do it. Hyperextension is natural in some people to a degree.

Looked up things on the medical side. Most ballet injuries occur in adolecents who arent used to controlling their bodies. Knee injuries only account for about 16% of the total and hyperextension only accounts for a smaller part of that. It is said most professionals have hyperextension to some degree.

The real question isnt about taste, its “does it make the statue broken?”. It doesnt. Using hyperextension is a dancing skill whether or not it makes one prone to injury. If that were the case, SF Ken statues would be broken because he’s at risk of burning himself. Its not going to be to everyones taste. The hyperextension is considered classically beautiful and I guess at least some sculptors think so. Its not the focalpoint of the statue and is a real world occurrence so I dont see the problem.
Actually it is a focal point when you view it from the side, it sticks out like a soar thumb.

Also ask a Football player if there going to stop playing football due to concussion damage, the majority say it's not an issue, just like dancers say it's not an issue, at least until it actually becomes an issue... Next time you talk to a Doctor ask them about hyperextending your knee and see what they say

As far as the statue goes it looks like something from Men in Black, some alien disguised as a human with wonky legs... Doesn't help that SS seems to over exaggerate it, also I don't see a lot of dancers (which by the way this character is not), walking with their knees hyperextended
Old 11-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #495
davi
Fantastic Four

It's a stylized statue, with stylized proportions and exaggerations. The artist(s) choose to sculpt the knees in a way he(they) fit the overall stylization of the figure.

If I were talking about principles of anatomy, then all sorts of muscular and features are skewed in this piece.

If the choice from the artist(s) to do this to the leg/knees is not your bag, totally then it hurts the piece for you. If it bothers you that other people like it still, that's also gunna be your problem.

Myself, i think it's a fantastic looking piece!
davi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:37 PM   #496
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
Actually it is a focal point when you view it from the side, it sticks out like a soar thumb.

Also ask a Football player if there going to stop playing football due to concussion damage, the majority say it's not an issue, just like dancers say it's not an issue, at least until it actually becomes an issue... Next time you talk to a Doctor ask them about hyperextending your knee and see what they say

As far as the statue goes it looks like something from Men in Black, some alien disguised as a human with wonky legs... Doesn't help that SS seems to over exaggerate it, also I don't see a lot of dancers (which by the way this character is not), walking with their knees hyperextended
The side profile of her leg is not the principle focus of the statue. I would guess most are going to display this piece from the front.

A concussion is an injury. Hyperextension of the knee is flexibility (like double jointedness) that weakens the knee, it is not a hyperextension injury. That weakness can be overcome through proper training and discipline. Apples and oranges.

Hyperextension is flexibility, Abbey doesnt have to be a dancer, she may just have similar attributes. Also dont think its provable that the statue is walking.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #497
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySamurai View Post
The side profile of her leg is not the principle focus of the statue. I would guess most are going to display this piece from the front.

A concussion is an injury. Hyperextension of the knee is flexibility (like double jointedness) that weakens the knee, it is not a hyperextension injury. That weakness can be overcome through proper training and discipline. Apples and oranges.

Hyperextension is flexibility, Abbey doesnt have to be a dancer, she may just have similar attributes. Also dont think its provable that the statue is walking.
If you like your statues looking like a freak of nature go for it, just a shame that SS is starting to make this a common aspect of their female statues... I believe this is the 4th statue they've done it to, I'm glad other companies are not following this trend (as far as I know). As for the main focus of this statue, lets be honest like many SS female statue its her tits, but those of us who can get pass that and look at the sculpt as a whole might be disappointed with their exaggeration of the "Plastic Man" styled legs.

As for the pose, usually when one leg is in front of the other they are walking. Makes a little more sense that she's walking out of the flames vs standing in them.

As fun as it is to debate I think we've gone as far as we can with this one....
Old 11-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #498
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

I wouldnt call dancers freaks of nature. Its not necessarily my thing but I dont mind it knowing its realistic to the classical arts and not a wierd sculptor fetish. Funny, I find myself looking at women’s legs even more than normal now lol.

Here’s a video of a ballerina walking-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OX1w7C2EeL4
Old 11-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #499
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Complains about freaks of nature, has a look at what other realistic items folks are currently gabbing about, Alien, Predator, Bane, Mermaid, COTD, Swamp Thing...
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #500
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Complains about freaks of nature, has a look at what other realistic items folks are currently gabbing about, Alien, Predator, Bane, Mermaid, COTD, Swamp Thing...
lol nice

heres some stills from that vid for quick reference-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2164BBC8-4404-48CA-93D6-6AB6A3CD9E4A.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	109205   Click image for larger version

Name:	3D71B24D-1A6B-4582-86F8-8DE08A486EB2.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	109206