Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #21
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1
I wasn’t trying to make it political, but to merely illustrate that we aren’t going after the person responsible for the inception of the so-called war on terror.

But now that you mention it…

The focus from day one of the current administration was to get into Iraq and with 9/11 they got their justification.

The war started in, and should still be in Afghanistan. Since the War on Terror began, we ran out the Taliban and sent Osama to the hills, dropped a few bunker busters there, and pretty much left it hanging while we moved on to Iraq. Afghanistan (according to a buddy of mine who just got back from there) is in the same state it was when we first got there. Just run by warlords vs. the Taliban. But that’s not to say they don’t have their sights set on regaining power.

It's important to remember that Zarqawi is Jordanian, not Iraqi. And an idealogically motivated jihadist, more than a leader of some terrorist organization. It is also important to remember that less than 5% of the fighters/terrorists in Iraq are from other countries. Zarqawi being one of them. 97% are Iraqi insurgents with absolutely no ties to Al-Qaeda whatsoever. They are fighting and bombing because they a) do not want to be occupied, and b) will not sit hopelessly as their loved ones are killed. Haditha for example, we invite you in our homes, take you to our guns, and we are systemically slaughtered? WTF is that?

We should fight the war on their soil (or sand as it were), but in Afghanistan.. not Iraq. By being in Iraq, our soldiers are just being a security force for corporations making bo coup bucks off of repairing the damage that we’ve created for them in addition to guarding the oil fields, whose commodity is being used to benefit who knows what. On top of that, they’re sitting ducks too while they secure somebody else’s fortunes.

Lookit, when we liberated Iraq, the following was supposed to make them a free and safer place:

- Saddam is removed. check

- Saddam is captured. check

- the Iraqi’s vote the first time. check

- Iraq’s vote the second time. check

- Iraqi’s vote the third time. check

- a National Government is formed. check

- Al-Zarqawi is killed or captured. check

And the list will continue as the US policy keeps failing. It's the same ol' song and dance. Just waiting on a new verse.

I don't think we should celebrate Zarqawi’s death, but the fact that he is not there calling the shots anymore. When you celebrate death, it makes you no better than they are. Sectarian violence is what it is, and Iraq is in civil war-probably because of us.

Now on the domestic terror front… The first WTC attackers (see Int’l terrorists) were caught and convicted. More recently, we’ve had anthrax attacks and the perpetrators haven’t been caught yet. This weakens the argument that we haven’t been attacked since 9/11. Other times we’ve had terrorism (McVeigh, Allen-Mohammad, Letter Bomber) it was Americans who had a screw loose. You can’t predict terror. It happens anytime and anywhere and saying that “we haven’t since..” is at best a naïve statement drilled into our heads by the corporate media.

“tell people something over and over again and they’ll believe it to be true..” Who said that? I digress.

Anyway, we as Americans should not have to gauge our safety on how the war on terror is going somewhere else. If they want to get us domestically, they will. Look at Canada for example. I'm not sure of the specifics, but what if any of those folks captured slipped across the border with the same aspirations? Scary stuff. And they would have gone unnoticed until 0 hour. Even scarier stuff.

Each and every one of us is responsible for our own safety, and the Government should help by keeping our troops, intelligence and protection more localized. We can help by keeping an eye peeled for suspicious activity. It is pretty sad that in America we have to run around scared with this Chicken Little mentality that was engrained in our heads by our government (Repubs and Dems).

Quote:
On another note.. I have a good idea where Marvel is going with Civil War. What are your opinions?
Finally a topic I care about I think that Tony Stark is playing the feds so he can protect his friends but he`s not letting cap in on it.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #22
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin
Finally a topic I care about I think that Tony Stark is playing the feds so he can protect his friends but he`s not letting cap in on it.
.. and Spidey is in cahoots w/ Stark.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:54 PM   #23
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Paquet
You said it, brother. I don't know if you have children, but let me tell ya, as a father of a now 19(!) year old young lady, we had to fight against all the negative influences in our society, and it was a fight with few allies. Most of my daughter's friends had unlimited internet access, and cell phones by the time they were 11. I've seen young girls dressed like hookers, WHILE walking through the mall with their parents.

Too bad there aren't exams required for anyone wishing to have children.

Anyway, your attitude is right on, and unfortuntely as rare as a politician that hasn't been bought off by some special interest group. Yeah, both sides.

On the plus side, at least the young people of this world can look up to Paris Hilton...

Hey William!
I have a 2 year old daughter and I am in for a long haul. I'm trying to fight the fight to keep her a decent person with a moral compass. My wife works at a day care for teen mothers who got knocked up but can't provide care for their kids (so taxpayers get to share the burden). She told me in the program there is a 9 year old girl who just became pregnant. I said " I didn't even know that was physically possible"
She told me of another girl who was 14 and gave a bus full of Track teamates
BJ's and had sex with three of them.
It breaks my heart to hear this stuff, and I want to do everything I can to keep my kid from going down the wrong path.
I was raised with values and I'll be d@mned if I won't continue them with my progeny.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #24
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobhound
I will believe it when we see a body and/or head!
Here ya go.

http://www.foxnews.com/
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #25
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Glad this guy is dead, however I don't remember we had a problem with him until we invaded Iraq for no reason.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #26
Aarrgghh!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77
Glad this guy is dead, however I don't remember we had a problem with him until we invaded Iraq for no reason.
Sassam played the worst hand of international blind mans bluff EVER, and lost.
Aarrgghh!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #27
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgghh!!
Sassam played the worst hand of international blind mans bluff EVER, and lost.
oy vay
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:17 PM   #28
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage
What's funny to me is people actually think it's Democrat vs. Republican (they're basically the same).
The real power in this Country is the Corporation. Banks and Big Business run the country.
Exactly. Greed is the driving force of this country, the bills should read, "In Greed We Trust".
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #29
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman
And like it or not, there is no denying the fact that there have been ZERO terrorist attacks on US soil since 9-11 because our brave men and women have taken the fight to them! !
there have been attacks on Madrid and London though - Countries that took part in a war that was based on lies
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:38 AM   #30
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division
there have been attacks on Madrid and London though - Countries that took part in a war that was based on lies
Well stated.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote