Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 06-17-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
Alfred_&_Bimba
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

HELP WITH PAINTS AND TECHNIQUES

DEARS PAINT MASTERS...
I'M ANOT A PAINTER AND I'D LIKE TO RECEIVE SOME INFO FROM YOU.

1) I SAW SEVEAL BUSTS AND TOYS PAINTED AS IF THE VINIL/RESIN ABSORBED THE PAINT. I THOUGHT IT IS THE AIRBRUSH TECH' BUT I NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST TYPE OF COLOR ND ITS BRAND TO DO THAT AND IF YOU NEED TO ADD SOLVENT OR OTHER TO THE AIRBRUSH PAINT.

2) I USUALLY PAINT MY MODELS WITH ACRYLICS AND BY BRUSH, USING CITADEL COLORS OR ANDREA'S, BUT WHEN I FINISHED A MODEL THE PAINT SEEMS TO BE DEEP AND WHEN YOU SCRAP IT THEN IT COMES OUT...WHAT DO YOU USE AFTER PAINT TO AVOID THIS WHITHOUT GIVING GLOSSY EFFECT? IF I USE AIRBRUSH, WILL THE PAINT SEEM NOT SO DEEP? WHAT IS THE BEST PAINT BRAND AND TYPE FOR BUSING WITH BRUSH?

3) USUALLY I DO NOT PRIMER MY RESIN CASTED MODEL AND I APPLY 2 COATS OF BASE COLOR...IT IS NOT GOOD I KNOW BUT THE PRIMER LEAVES ROUGH SURFACE...DO I NEED TO SANDPAPER THE PRIMERIZED RESIN SURFACE? HOW MANY TIMES? HOW MANY COATS? WHAT IS THE BEST PRIMER?

THANX TO EVERYONE

3)
Alfred_&_Bimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Any resin you get, you need to wash them. Have to clean off the oils from casting. So best to use some dawn soap, soak the piece in some soapy water and use a old tooth to get it nice and clean.

Dry it up, make sure its really dry before anything else is done. Plus make sure all the soap is gone, rise well.

You need to prime the pieces, can get some car spary can primer like dulicolor that is also sandable. That stuff sprays on nice and even and once dried you can fine sand it. Places like home depot sell sponge sand paper in the paint departments that can sand a piece down nice and smooth without sanding the resin away.

Once a piece is primed like this almost all paints will stick to the piece, wether it be acrylic, enamel etc...

Tamiya has a nice thick paint that brushes on well and thinned a bit can go on super smooth with a airbrush.

Testors dull cote comes in a spray can, you can spry this stuff over the finished piece to protect the paint and dull it a bit.

Also freestyle paints from Kit Builders magazine sells amazing paints for a airbrush.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Alfred_&_Bimba
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

thanx my friend.....
Alfred_&_Bimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
skorpsta
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Any resin you get, you need to wash them. Have to clean off the oils from casting. So best to use some dawn soap, soak the piece in some soapy water and use a old tooth to get it nice and clean.

Dry it up, make sure its really dry before anything else is done. Plus make sure all the soap is gone, rise well.

You need to prime the pieces, can get some car spary can primer like dulicolor that is also sandable. That stuff sprays on nice and even and once dried you can fine sand it. Places like home depot sell sponge sand paper in the paint departments that can sand a piece down nice and smooth without sanding the resin away.

Once a piece is primed like this almost all paints will stick to the piece, wether it be acrylic, enamel etc...

Tamiya has a nice thick paint that brushes on well and thinned a bit can go on super smooth with a airbrush.

Testors dull cote comes in a spray can, you can spry this stuff over the finished piece to protect the paint and dull it a bit.

Also freestyle paints from Kit Builders magazine sells amazing paints for a airbrush.
great advice!!!!!!!!!!!
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote