Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 06-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
F.O.O.M.
Birdman

Zen, thanks for the info. There's no direct light, in fact there's no light at all in the attic. As for heat, the roof where it joins the house is vented and air flows between the roof & brickwork freely with no restrictions from one side to the other and there are no heat sources and any heat is purely ambient temperture depending on air temperture outside, obviously. Thanks again, attic storage does give food for thought, now, how about basements...? Another can of worms to worry about?
F.O.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #12
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Moisture (humidity or flooding) would be the major concern with basements. Not nearly as destructive as light and heat, however.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #13
genesimmons1
Death is hereditary.

interesting stuff.my sisters attic is ventilated,dark,and they are in there bowen boxes.could paint fading occur in the boxes?even ventilated it still real hot up there.what do you think?
genesimmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #14
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

I've worked in ventilated attics in the middle of summer, and the temperature easily reaches triple digits (Fahrenheit). The styrofoam may provide insulation for a short while at the start of each day, but rest assured, eventually the statue will be cooking, and the styrofoam will then keep the statues hot after the sun has gone down. Insulation works both ways.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #15
darcius453
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Agree with ZenLogikos, its the fluctuation in temperatures that will really get you. So if you are in the North and you get -30 (-22F) winters and get +30 (86F) summers. the chemicals will be changing from solid to liquid to gas and back and will furbar things right up. Thats why they say store at a controlled temperature. Putting them in plastic storage boxes isent going to do anything, it might even be worse as it may trap moisture, which is the enemy. You will want circulation if you have temperature changes. Its why some companies put little packs of silica with their products. I know some people who put it in their boxes of comics when stored.
darcius453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #16
skorpsta
Ghost

my collection room is in the attic...and all my boxes are stored in the cubby holes in the walls and it gets hot if its 90 outside its got to be about 100 in the cubbys and they been like this for 4 years and all is ok...my display room when im up there i run the ac...however i would not store a vynil statue in the cubbys
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #17
skorpsta
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons1 View Post
interesting stuff.my sisters attic is ventilated,dark,and they are in there bowen boxes.could paint fading occur in the boxes?even ventilated it still real hot up there.what do you think?
i have been in this hobby since 2002 and been working with acrylic paints since 1984...and since 2008 i have been painting statues...and i have never heard of a heat index in a attic of a statue in a box have these issues...but then again my statues are out in the cases in the attic...not in the attic cubby holes where the boxes are
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #18
Khufu
Mephisto

It also depends where you live. Like me for instance... I live in Phoenix - it can get to 120+ outside and I'd bet its every bit of 140+ in an attic on days like that. Lol I doubt it would melt everything, but it definitely would do some damage (like the soft parts i.e. Bishops hand effect).

However, somewhere with high humidity might even be worse than high heat. Who knows for sure? I'm not going to test the theory my stuff...

I'd try and find another solution if possible. I'd rent climate controlled storage unit or whatever you can rearrange in your house to make it work.
Khufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #19
genesimmons1
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpsta View Post
i have been in this hobby since 2002 and been working with acrylic paints since 1984...and since 2008 i have been painting statues...and i have never heard of a heat index in a attic of a statue in a box have these issues...but then again my statues are out in the cases in the attic...not in the attic cubby holes where the boxes are
thanks scorpsta . I think my situation is like yours being in long island. I feel better leaving them up there.couldnt believe a melting would occur at new York temps.
genesimmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #20
F.O.O.M.
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesimmons1 View Post
. I think my situation is like yours being in long island. I feel better leaving them up there.couldnt believe a melting would occur at new York temps.
gene, I'm in a similiar position, living in the U.K., EVEN if it did get hot, I don't think we get the same temps. as in the U.S., if we do it doesn't last long long enough... lol.
Anyway, glad you started this thread, it's been really interesting reading all the info/opinions. Would love to read about other SF members in diff. parts of the World...
F.O.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote