Gen 13

The Villainess 8/10
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #23593
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Ready Player One - 5/10 - All the fun references didn't help with the pacing issues and just struggling to connect with anything that was new within it. Pegg and Rylance were good, everyone else was okay.

This movie also had one of my biggest pet peeves in movies. When any movie opens with a prolonged narration exposition dump that 90% of it wasn't needed at all and other 10% could have been deciphered by paying attention it just feels condescending to the audience.
He had to like mash possible 2 to 3 movie book in 2 hours , he didn’t have the luxury of explaining terms like “Gunter” , the crash course was necessary and not a single question from my wife during the movie , so all in all I think he did well with the pacing and narrative.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #23594
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Ready Player One 8/10 great movie, loved all the references to my childhood.

Justice League 4/10 finally saw this, what a hot mess. The CGI was painful to look at in many scenes. Even my wife, who loved all the other DC movies just got up and stopped watching it was so bad. Had potential but they tried jamming way too much into the one movie.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #23595
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
He had to like mash possible 2 to 3 movie book in 2 hours , he didn’t have the luxury of explaining terms like “Gunter” , the crash course was necessary and not a single question from my wife during the movie , so all in all I think he did well with the pacing and narrative.
I don't think you have to explain everything and much of what was explained could be gleaned by the story itself.

If I had a preference in film making it would be that people are a little lost and have to figure things out rather than stopping to explain it. There are more clever ways to show a world and characters than just telling the audience everything.

It's a personal preference, I can understand your point of view, but I don't share it.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #23596
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
Agreed. It's important to keep in mind how broad your audience is. Not everyone attending your film will understand established ideas, nuances, and terminology from every interest, profession or hobby. In this case gaming, virtual reality and a microtransaction economy. You only have so much time to tell a story and even less time to tell it in the tone and pace you'd like your audience to experience it in. All of that coupled with the fact the story takes place in the future meant an introductory narration was a must for this film. It isn't condescending or pandering, it's knowing how to tell a story to the general audience.

Last edited by Luminous; 04-03-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #23597
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Ready Player One - 3/10

I've read the book, and hated it for just a woefully inconsistent and referential style, and the film is slightly better, but it's still awful IMO.

You can be referential in your work - American Psycho and Fight Club do it perfectly. But this to me is the worst sort of schlock story telling, shoe horning references in for the sake of it, with no real substance.

It's the laziest of films. All flash, no substance.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #23598
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Agreed. It's important to keep in mind how broad your audience is. Not everyone attending your film will understand established ideas, nuances, and terminology from every interest, profession or hobby. In this case gaming, virtual reality and a microtransaction economy. You only have so much time to tell a story and even less time to tell it in the tone and pace you'd like your audience to experience it in. All of that coupled with the fact the story takes place in the future meant an introductory narration was a must for this film. It isn't condescending or pandering, it's knowing how to tell a story to the general audience.
It's a fine argument for making a financially viable picture, but I still do not enjoy it. I'll take Blade Runner 2049 everyday even if it doesn't appeal to a general audience.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #23599
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Let me in - 8.5/10

Opera (Dario Argento) 8/10

Thor: Ragnarok (3D) 8.5/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:29 PM   #23600
Vracula
Jedi Order

Big trouble in little China - 5/10

Love 80’s movie , love the concept and monster designs but Jack Burton is an insufferable asshole, probably the most unlikeable lead charachter from my beloved 80’s movie era.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote