Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-02-2018, 08:45 AM   #201
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Ordered months ago.
Mine shipped last Monday! Has yours shipped yet?
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #202
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Mine shipped last Monday! Has yours shipped yet?
No notice yet.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #203
Luminous
Cyclops

I recently decided to order Kirby's Fourth World. I've only read a few issues here and there, but I am big fan of his art and I've always enjoyed New Gods material. That said, I was surprised to see some of the criticism on this board about that book. I thought this stuff was essentially universally praised. Not really concerned though since I know I'll enjoy the art. My question is... do those who have read both that and Kamandi pretty much agree Kamandi is better? I've been considering that Omni as well but figured I had plenty of time to think it over. I've never read a single Kamandi story, but the concept is intriguing.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #204
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I recently decided to order Kirby's Fourth World. I've only read a few issues here and there, but I am big fan of his art and I've always enjoyed New Gods material. That said, I was surprised to see some of the criticism on this board about that book. I thought this stuff was essentially universally praised. Not really concerned though since I know I'll enjoy the art. My question is... do those who have read both that and Kamandi pretty much agree Kamandi is better? I've been considering that Omni as well but figured I had plenty of time to think it over. I've never read a single Kamandi story, but the concept is intriguing.
That’s a good question, I’ve been wondering the same thing.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #205
protector2814
Phoenix

As I mentioned back in post 180, I'd go with Kamandi over Fourth World as an Omni. I prefer the Kamandi series. Kirby's writing is as layered & boundless as his art was in some cases. I found the 4th World stories beautiful & fun to look at but I also found them fragmented & a little to hippy-60's. Kamandi on the other hand, is very much like to 60's Planet-of-the-Apes films only w/o a strong linear structure but still with a beginning, middle, & end. Kamandi, at times, can be a little all-over-the-place with a cool setting (earth, post-apok. w/ Animal factions having mutated & warring against one another over territory in a ruined North America. Technology also plays a huge part as does a decayed space-program & returning astronauts. Kamandi just wanders on through it all. Both books were written in the very early 70's & both have that 70's vibe, so you'll be forced to settle into that frame of mind while reading either. So many cool characters came out of the Fourth World that, if your a DC nut, you may wanna go w/ that one just to see their beginnings. My money's on Kamandi.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #206
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
As I mentioned back in post 180, I'd go with Kamandi over Fourth World as an Omni. I prefer the Kamandi series. Kirby's writing is as layered & boundless as his art was in some cases. I found the 4th World stories beautiful & fun to look at but I also found them fragmented & a little to hippy-60's. Kamandi on the other hand, is very much like to 60's Planet-of-the-Apes films only w/o a strong linear structure but still with a beginning, middle, & end. Kamandi, at times, can be a little all-over-the-place with a cool setting (earth, post-apok. w/ Animal factions having mutated & warring against one another over territory in a ruined North America. Technology also plays a huge part as does a decayed space-program & returning astronauts. Kamandi just wanders on through it all. Both books were written in the very early 70's & both have that 70's vibe, so you'll be forced to settle into that frame of mind while reading either. So many cool characters came out of the Fourth World that, if your a DC nut, you may wanna go w/ that one just to see their beginnings. My money's on Kamandi.
Thanks. Kamandi sounds like something I would definitely appreciate. I mainly picked up Fourth World to see some epic cosmic Kirby art. That and I really had to read his Mister Miracle stuff. But the post apocalyptic Earth setting in Kamandi sounded great as well. Based on your assessment I will definitely be sure to pick that one up as well.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #207
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
To carry the ball from Jerry’s comments, Fourth World is spectacular in terms of characters, high concept plotting and, of course, Kirby’s art. That said, it often falls flat or falls apart in terms of the scripting which, at times, becomes borderline ridiculous, and the story progression which is splintered, jumbled and often a bit incoherent. Kamandi, on the other hand, holds all the power of Kirby’s art but a storyline that’s far more linear, compelling, cohesive and thrilling. The fact that it’s a call back to Planet of the Apes actually helps rather than hinders it. The Kirby scripting still can be a bit wonky but, as a whole, it’s just a better and far more thrilling piece of work despite the longevity of Fourth World’s concepts and characters.

Last edited by wktf; 06-02-2018 at 05:37 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:24 PM   #208
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
To carry the ball from Jerry’s comments, Fourth World is spectacular in terms of characters, high concept plotting and, of course, Kirby’s art. That said, it often falls flat or falls apart in terms of the scripting which, at times, becomes borderline ridiculous, and the story progression which is splintered, jumbled and often a bit incoherent. Kamandi, on the other hand, holds all the power of Kirby’s art but a storyline that’s far more linear, compelling, cohesive and thrilling. The fact that it’s a call back to Planet of the Apes actually helps rather than hinders it. The Kirby scripting still can be a bit wonky but, as a whole, it’s just a better and far more thrilling piece of work despite the longevity of Fourth World’s concepts and characters.
I appreciate the insight. I think I now have a very good idea of what to expect from both books now. Should help with my overall enjoyment of both stories.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:32 PM   #209
Pendragon3000
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Did DC fix the issue with the duplicated pages?
Pendragon3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:47 PM   #210
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon3000 View Post
Did DC fix the issue with the duplicated pages?
According to a couple of retailers they did. In Stock Trades even has a separate listing for the one with the corrected pages.