Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #491
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
they could cut the Canto Bight scenes short.
I think it was the perfect timing, especially in how it sets up the ending with the little boy --Temri Blagg-- with force powers. His story basically mirrors young Luke and his dreams to fight for the rebels, unknowingly also a future member of Rey's new Jedi Order. The kid's got it rought right now and we see his life play out with the Fathier racing. Rian had it right to invest in time on Canto.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #492
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
I made the Star Wars fans hate Star Wars comment, so I'll maybe admit that the comment was a bit facetious. But there is a shred of merit to it. Look at Rotten Tomatoes. Half Star reviews, really? It's petulance at it's best, and sabotage at it's worst. You and I both know that most people can't be dispassionate about big franchise, be they star trek, marvel, dc or star wars.

Look at the completely negative reviews BvS got. I maintain that film is not perfect, and has big flaws, but people decided to ruin that movie, when it is not as bad as it has been suggested. people do pass over the negative comments and dismiss them, but they do the same for well thought out, positive ones too. No one ever changed anyone else's mind by a forum post.

Genuinely, without a hint of sarcasm, I'm disappointed that you and a lot of others didn't like the movie. I honestly think that's terrible, because if I had left the cinema hating it I would have felt heartbroken.
A lot of the negative comments on here are story or character arc crits that I can respect, if not agree with. But there are equal amounts of criticisms by some people that are about a film franchise without properly established rules of science or the force.

Someone will criticise the 'Force Skyping' but they're fine with Darth Plagius bringing people back from the dead (Canon)? It's obvious the force can work differently for different Jedi, with different applications and potential. It seems mad to me to disparage a film because of the rules that we (not the writers) have put in place.

Not saying any of this applies to you, just trying to explain my comment.
Where in canon did Plagueis bring someone back from the dead? Are you referring to the conversation between Anakin and Palpatine? Why should we beleive Palpatine is telling the truth? He’s manipulating Anakin and telling him what he wants to hear. The Darth Plagueis book is not canon.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #493
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Where in canon did Plagueis bring someone back from the dead? Are you referring to the conversation between Anakin and Palpatine? Why should we beleive Palpatine is telling the truth? He’s manipulating Anakin and telling him what he wants to hear. The Darth Plagueis book is not canon.
Ok, you're right. We can't assume he's telling the truth, but how can we assume he's lying to Anakin either then? He clearly wants to manipulate him, but he does so with truth the majority of the time.

Surely Sidious knows that Anakin will check the Jedi archives for this legend?

But there are lots of Force powers that were out of the realms of what was believable in the original trilogy. Some might now be considered non-canonical, but they were up until Force Awakens. Force Meld for example, the power that the Solo kids could use, links Jedi together, not dissimilar from the link Snoke set up between Ren and Rey.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #494
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Seeing as how Rey & Kylo Ren's link remained in place after Snoke was killed I think it begs the question did he lie about creating the link? Maybe he simply took advantage of something that he knew already existed?
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #495
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Seeing as how Rey & Kylo Ren's link remained in place after Snoke was killed I think it begs the question did he lie about creating the link? Maybe he simply took advantage of something that he knew already existed?
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #496
Mister H
Gen 13

Wish Snoke wasn’t dead. He was pure evil. Love those kind of villains.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #497
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Wish Snoke wasn’t dead. He was pure evil. Love those kind of villains.
I'll agree with that sentiment but the shock of how he went out was the highlight of the film for me and one of the most surprising events in the entire Saga. I don't think I'd trade that amazing sequence to have him back as much as I liked him. In a way it's fitting how he met his end. SW is full of amazing characters that meet their demise before being fleshed out.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #498
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
I made the Star Wars fans hate Star Wars comment, so I'll maybe admit that the comment was a bit facetious. But there is a shred of merit to it. Look at Rotten Tomatoes. Half Star reviews, really? It's petulance at it's best, and sabotage at it's worst. You and I both know that most people can't be dispassionate about big franchise, be they star trek, marvel, dc or star wars.

Look at the completely negative reviews BvS got. I maintain that film is not perfect, and has big flaws, but people decided to ruin that movie, when it is not as bad as it has been suggested. people do pass over the negative comments and dismiss them, but they do the same for well thought out, positive ones too. No one ever changed anyone else's mind by a forum post.

Genuinely, without a hint of sarcasm, I'm disappointed that you and a lot of others didn't like the movie. I honestly think that's terrible, because if I had left the cinema hating it I would have felt heartbroken.
A lot of the negative comments on here are story or character arc crits that I can respect, if not agree with. But there are equal amounts of criticisms by some people that are about a film franchise without properly established rules of science or the force.

Someone will criticise the 'Force Skyping' but they're fine with Darth Plagius bringing people back from the dead (Canon)? It's obvious the force can work differently for different Jedi, with different applications and potential. It seems mad to me to disparage a film because of the rules that we (not the writers) have put in place.

Not saying any of this applies to you, just trying to explain my comment.
Well said and all good. I think some people like myself were more devastated leaving the theater. I didn't like what they did with TFA but I begrudgingly accepted it to get to ,well this movie. And it was such a disappointment. The half star reviews are totally an attempt to sabotage but hopefully Disney does listen to what didn't work as well and improves in the final installment.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #499
Vallos
Jubilee

After my first viewing, I came away bewildered, struggling as to why I was feeling that way. After a second viewing, I was able to strip away my biases and realized this is a departure from the old while ushering in the new.

This article summarizes my feelings perfectly:

A List Of Some Of The Times The Last Jedi Told The Older Star Wars Movies To Eat ----
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #500
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I'll agree with that sentiment but the shock of how he went out was the highlight of the film for me and one of the most surprising events in the entire Saga. I don't think I'd trade that amazing sequence to have him back as much as I liked him. In a way it's fitting how he met his end. SW is full of amazing characters that meet their demise before being fleshed out.
But that's how it should be! One of Star Wars's core components is mystery. It's natural to want everything explained but good stories spur more questions than they answer.

Darth Maul was an awesome silent assassin and could have been awesome stalking Anakin into the 2nd movie, even meeting the same demise BUT no amount of exposition or speech was going to be as satisfying as his appearance.

Boba Fett's backstory feels like a forced acquiescence to fan interest. C3PO being built by Vader has to be the stupidest most contrived coincidence of all Star Wars movies including those yet to be made.
At least Lucas had a great story for Vader's past (do note that story is not equivalent to plot or script).

I still say Rey and Kylo could be siblings with Leia and Han as Kylo's parents from a certain point of view.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote