Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 01-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #201
cf79
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepaphoros View Post
I think Thor is just a pretty boring character if we're being honest (his comics have never been that popular). The first two Thor movies are considered to be maybe the worst solo movies of all the MCU heroes, and I think they found their niche in Ragnarok. Big Thor fans might not like it, but it was the most successful of the three movies and catapulted him into Infinity War. Wonder Woman has the same problem IMO.
I have to disagree to an extent on this. For a long time Thor was written pretty poorly and especially in the 90’s. Walt Simonson has one of the most insane fun stories Marvel has ever done and it gets lauded as one of the best by critics and fans alike. Marvel Thor was recently polled as the tournament battle champ (beat Jean Grey) on Twitter and also named as the 7th favorite character (Hulk was 9) on Reddit. Ranker has him as #2.

While Hemsworth has most probably helped those stars it’s specifically noted that these are the comic versions and not MCU

But I’m not here to get into the validity of online polls. Simply to show that the “Thor was never a very popular character” statement some people are heard touting may be based on what span you really started reading him.

What is true about Thor, in my own opinion, and somewhat similar to the point you were trying to make is he is the most dichotomously written character in Marvel history next to Spidey. Some writers flat out hate him because of his power set and some simply don’t know how to write him other than “Fabio with a hammer.” Some only like to use him as a sponge. He can traverse the galaxy at the speed of light but then can’t catch Daredevil in another book. He can give Galactus a black eye in space and on Earth get knocked out by a bullet. Then you have some storytellers like Kirby (No Not Stan in this regard) Simonson and Stryzenski that adore him and can write him to his best potential.

As far as the movies go I think they exist in their own bubble. Good or bad I have read every Thor book Marvel ever threw at its readers and I still love Ragnarok. It was a fun and fast paced film that allowed itself to be enjoyed. I’d say these characters are about on the same levels powerwise as they were in the 60’s. It took 30-50 years of writers trying to out do the previous writer’s runs with outlandish power sets. Give the movies that much time and they’ll probably try to outdo their predecessors as well.

Oh and I completely agree with MCU really screwing over Hulks story line. I think a lot of it had to do with time constraints and the fact that his sacrifice costing him his arm didn’t really do the Jade Giant much justice. But to be honest I also think maybe they were pandering more to the actor than they were the character itself.
cf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:46 PM   #202
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepaphoros View Post
I'm partial to the Planet Hulk story (and Hela was wonderfully done) and enjoyed it. And I know heavy comic guys didn't like it, but it's still easily the best of the three Thor movies.
I love the Planet HULK comic storyline myself. It had nothing to do with Thor or how he was portrayed in Ragnarock. I respect your opinion, however I personally found it to be the worst of the 3 movies by far. I'll give you Hela. She was easily the best part of the movie because she was taken seriously and not part of the joke fest.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #203
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf79 View Post
I have to disagree to an extent on this. For a long time Thor was written pretty poorly and especially in the 90’s. Walt Simonson has one of the most insane fun stories Marvel has ever done and it gets lauded as one of the best by critics and fans alike. Marvel Thor was recently polled as the tournament battle champ (beat Jean Grey) on Twitter and also named as the 7th favorite character (Hulk was 9) on Reddit. Ranker has him as #2.

While Hemsworth has most probably helped those stars it’s specifically noted that these are the comic versions and not MCU

But I’m not here to get into the validity of online polls. Simply to show that the “Thor was never a very popular character” statement some people are heard touting may be based on what span you really started reading him.

What is true about Thor, in my own opinion, and somewhat similar to the point you were trying to make is he is the most dichotomously written character in Marvel history next to Spidey. Some writers flat out hate him because of his power set and some simply don’t know how to write him other than “Fabio with a hammer.” Some only like to use him as a sponge. He can traverse the galaxy at the speed of light but then can’t catch Daredevil in another book. He can give Galactus a black eye in space and on Earth get knocked out by a bullet. Then you have some storytellers like Kirby (No Not Stan in this regard) Simonson and Stryzenski that adore him and can write him to his best potential.

As far as the movies go I think they exist in their own bubble. Good or bad I have read every Thor book Marvel ever threw at its readers and I still love Ragnarok. It was a fun and fast paced film that allowed itself to be enjoyed. I’d say these characters are about on the same levels powerwise as they were in the 60’s. It took 30-50 years of writers trying to out do the previous writer’s runs with outlandish power sets. Give the movies that much time and they’ll probably try to outdo their predecessors as well.

Oh and I completely agree with MCU really screwing over Hulks story line. I think a lot of it had to do with time constraints and the fact that his sacrifice costing him his arm didn’t really do the Jade Giant much justice. But to be honest I also think maybe they were pandering more to the actor than they were the character itself.

I love Thor, but I just find him kind of OP like Superman/Wonder Woman so it's hard to write his stories like you said. It's probably the movies themselves more than anything else, but I haven't really felt the urge to go back and rewatch Thor I and II at all.
Mepaphoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:10 PM   #204
cf79
Frackin!

Well Rewatching Thor 2 would be punishment as far as I’m concerned LOL . Now Cap’s movies... those are incredible!
Old 01-19-2021, 11:37 PM   #205
pau123
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf79 View Post
Well Rewatching Thor 2 would be punishment as far as I’m concerned LOL . Now Cap’s movies... those are incredible!
Cap 1 was ok... then 2, 3... it just gets better. REally good =)
pau123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:15 AM   #206
cf79
Frackin!

YWinter Soldier may be the most underrated MCU film.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:48 AM   #207
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau123 View Post
Cap 1 was ok... then 2, 3... it just gets better. REally good =)
I really like Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:47 AM   #208
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Pictures by Stephan Small

- XM Studios Modern Thor 1/4 Scale Statue -

XM Studios Premium Collectibles Facebook

GHeroes European Master Distributor Facebook

GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #209
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

XM Studios News

- Offical XM Modern Thor 1/4 Statue Assembly Video -

"Thor was born to the King of the Asgardian Gods, Odin Borson, and the Earth Goddess Gaea. He grew up in Asgard under Odin's tutelage and trained in his footsteps to one day lead Asgard. Besides Odin, his stepmother Frigga and his adopted brother Loki are the only family he know, alongside his best friends Sif, Balder, and the Warriors Three.Throughout his youth, Thor tested his limits on dangerous missions and became worthy of the Uru hammer Mjolnir, using it to save Sif from the Death Goddess Hela."

XM Studios Facebook

GHeroes EU Master Distributor Facebook

GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #210
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

The more I see of this piece, the more I like it.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote