Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-31-2016, 01:09 PM   #1031
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I'm not refuting the accuracy part...believe me...but there is also a lot to appreciate about this SS Predator statue as well.

It's like the kid that comes home with all A's and one B on his / her report card and the parents only look at the B instead of congratulaing him on all the A's. Sure, talk about the B because we can all improve, but don't forget to praise the A's.
Yep - hence my last line

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:09 PM   #1032
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
I wonder whether the bio is actually not a COH, but an add-on piece. Magnetized, perhaps.

That would be risky, if that were the case I can see a lot of paint/small sculpt damage coming from taking it on and off the face.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:18 PM   #1033
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Sideshow doesnt strive for higher quality, lol. If you honestly believe that then you don't understand artists at all. I guarantee each and every artist working at Sideshow strives to improve thier work each and every time they step up to the plate for a particular piece. I have never met an artist in my entire life that wasn't seeking to continue improving on thier work in some manner or another. And Sideshow's quality has improved, both on the design front and QC front as well. Anyone suggesting otherwise clearly hasn't gotten any of thier pieces lately. Bringing in sculptors like Will Harbottle is all the proof anyone needs that Sideshow is looking to improve the quality of thier work. And his pieces have been absolutely dynamite this far.
I said SS. This sculptor is a contractor for SS. I'm not saying he isn't a talented sculptor. I'm saying that SS does a poor job of guiding the development throughout the process. Either they aren't getting regular enough updates to catch these errors before it is too late, they don't know enough about Predator to know that the leg armor is wrong, or the people doing the in-process QC of the sculptor's work just aren't doing their jobs. This statue is by NO means a disaster. But I can't live with that glaring error for $1200. I would have been the first to jump on the PO if they had changed that.
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:19 PM   #1034
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post
I said SS. This sculptor is a contractor for SS. I'm not saying he isn't a talented sculptor. I'm saying that SS does a poor job of guiding the development throughout the process. Either they aren't getting regular enough updates to catch these errors before it is too late, they don't know enough about Predator to know that the leg armor is wrong, or the people doing the in-process QC of the sculptor's work just aren't doing their jobs. This statue is by NO means a disaster. But I can't live with that glaring error for $1200. I would have been the first to jump on the PO if they had changed that.
Sorry, but Sideshow is not a single entity. Sideshow is a company that is made up of individual artists and each product is made up of a team of artists. So to suggest that Sideshow doesnt strive for higher quality is in fact suggesting that all of the individual artists working for Sideshow are not striving for higher quality. And again, all that statement shows is that you don't understand the minds of artists at all. And again, the fact that thier bringing in talent like Harbottle is 100% proof that even the people at the very top are looking to improve on quality.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #1035
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
That would be risky, if that were the case I can see a lot of paint/small sculpt damage coming from taking it on and off the face.
I know, but maybe it's all padded on the right places inside? That would account for the size of it, and after all the dreads seem to be exactly the same on both heads. Not to mention what they would save in material/paint job/packaging.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:23 PM   #1036
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
I know, but maybe it's all padded on the right places inside? That would account for the size of it, and after all the dreads seem to be exactly the same on both heads. Not to mention what they would save in material/paint job/packaging.
Seems like they're doing it with the new Death PF, but it says "keyed" so maybe they could do it if the face was removable?
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #1037
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Seems like they're doing it with the new Death PF, but it says "keyed" so maybe they could do it if the face was removable?
You might be on to something.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #1038
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Everything you point out is on the money. I absolutely agree companies need to be held to a high standard. And of course I expect accuracy on both $200 and $1200 items. $200 is nothing to sneeze at either. But holding them to a perfection standard is not realistic. Nothing's perfect. It's a tried and true statement.
You are right. Nothing is perfect. But how is it that you can get closer to perfect with a $200 figure? That is my whole point. SS is much more capable than NECA, yet their accuracy and attention to detail (on Predator) continues to lag behind that of NECA. At this point, SS needs to send a NECA figure to the artist and say "Make it look like this" and they would be golden.
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #1039
SuperDinoHunter
Hellboy

Quote:
I wonder whether the bio is actually not a COH, but an add-on piece. Magnetized, perhaps.

"Switch out portraits" means COH correct me if I'm wrong! So two separate heads!
SuperDinoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:38 PM   #1040
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDinoHunter View Post
"Switch out portraits" means COH correct me if I'm wrong! So two separate heads!
Not necessarily.