Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > eFX, HCG & CM

Old 03-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #61
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Cars are tools used for transportation. Just because yours might look nice doesn't mean it isn't going to be exposed to the elements outside. The statue isn't. They're collectibles. They cost a -----load. Who in their right mind would want dirty, oily fingerprints on their pieces? No one touches my statues, including myself, without wearing gloves. It's the same reason you routinely dust them and don't display them in direct sunlight.

I can't take people seriously who spend thousands of dollars on a collectible and treat it like a McDonalds Happy Meal toy. Like these Youtubers rubbing their fat fingers all over the headsculpt of a $1500+ statue.

Oh and isn't this one in particular 10 grand?
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:59 PM   #62
wayne-m0
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriegsfuerst View Post
Don't get me wrong, but I can't take all these guys seriously, who share their unpackings on Youtube wearing those cotton gloves as if they are handling a 1000 year old, freshly exhumed relict. I mean, it's just a mass production statue. I doubt they wear cotton gloves when buying a new car (...and that's a way more expensive and valuable acquisition I would say).
Maybe it makes sense not to touch silicon statues but this is chrome plated resin so all you have to take care is, not to break anything, when assembling it.
Great sounds good to me and hopefully its not too bad instruction wise to assemble it. Maybe a two man job like the Sideshow one. The issue I had with that was getting the legs to fit into the hip joint but with luck this one is easy to assemble just have to take your time. Enjoy it mate, makes me look forward to getting mine more now.
wayne-m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:00 PM   #63
Kriegsfuerst
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoburger View Post
Cars are tools used for transportation. Just because yours might look nice doesn't mean it isn't going to be exposed to the elements outside. The statue isn't. They're collectibles. They cost a -----load. Who in their right mind would want dirty, oily fingerprints on their pieces? No one touches my statues, including myself, without wearing gloves. It's the same reason you routinely dust them and don't display them in direct sunlight.

I can't take people seriously who spend thousands of dollars on a collectible and treat it like a McDonalds Happy Meal toy. Like these Youtubers rubbing their fat fingers all over the headsculpt of a $1500+ statue.

Oh and isn't this one in particular 10 grand?
Newsflash: your statue(s) is (are) a big junk of plastic. Plastic is resistant to grease, sweat and whatever you mentioned above. There are several hundreds if not thousands of the same piece being displayed in many homes of other fellow collectors. Maybe you gonna sell yours in a few years and if its price will have gonne up till then, has nothing to do if you used gloves or not. My point: it‘s mass production made in China and treating it like literally THE holy grail by only touching it wearing gloves is kind of ridiculous. And to take your analogy with a Happy Meal toy a little bit out of context, but the waiter at McDonald‘s who serves you the ordered Happy Meal on a plate wears also gloves, only there it makes 10 times more sense even if your „toy“ costs 1000 times more.
Kriegsfuerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:01 PM   #64
Kriegsfuerst
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne-m0 View Post
Great sounds good to me and hopefully its not too bad instruction wise to assemble it. Maybe a two man job like the Sideshow one. The issue I had with that was getting the legs to fit into the hip joint but with luck this one is easy to assemble just have to take your time. Enjoy it mate, makes me look forward to getting mine more now.
The diffucult part is mounting the upper body to both legs. So unless your middlename isn‘t Hercules, a 2nd person is definitely recommended for that part.
Kriegsfuerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:22 AM   #65
wayne-m0
The Spirit

Yes sounds fair to me, so long as the instructions are clear on what to do the parts fit ok then fine. Sideshow one the legs were too tight for my liking and it didn't want to fit without some force and the fear of course of causing damage. Onwards and upwards with this one hopefully no parts missing and all will be well upon arrival if the packing is good enough. Cheers once again.
wayne-m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:35 AM   #66
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Newsflash: your statue(s) is (are) a big junk of plastic. Plastic is resistant to grease, sweat and whatever you mentioned above.
Resistant how? The natural oil on your hands collects solid particulates that can scrape the surface of whatever you touch. The oil also attracts more dust, leaves acidic residue and visible smudges. I'm more worried about the paint application being effected than I am the resin. Some of my pieces have metal accessories which are even more susceptible to tarnishing from oxidation due to the oil in your hands.

Any touching of your collectibles with your bare hands is transferring oil, sweat and various microscopic matter to that surface that with time will build up and damage or alter the appearance of your collectible.

This isn't a table you're buying to place things on. It's not a sofa you've purchased to sit on, nor is it a cup you're using to drink out of. The statue's purpose is literally to sit in one place and be looked at, not touched.

Quote:
There are several hundreds if not thousands of the same piece being displayed in many homes of other fellow collectors. My point: it‘s mass production made in China and treating it like literally THE holy grail by only touching it wearing gloves is kind of ridiculous.
Most of the statues we collect have edition sizes of under 2,000. Most of mine under 500. But the number isn't entirely relevant anyway considering the cost and purpose of these items. Can you not see the hyperbole and extreme exaggeration in your comment equating wearing gloves while handling them to treating them like "the holy grail"?

For ----'s sake, how often are you touching your statues that putting on gloves is that big of an inconvenience for you? All this comes down to is you acting like wearing gloves is some horrendously arduous task that you simply don't want to perform. If you can afford a $10,000 statue, you can afford the time and patience to treat it like a $10,000 statue.

With that being said, it's your money. Your statue. Do with it what you will. I don't particularly care. But hopefully now you'll understand why people do wear gloves when handling them.

Quote:
And to take your analogy with a Happy Meal toy a little bit out of context, but the waiter at McDonald‘s who serves you the ordered Happy Meal on a plate wears also gloves, only there it makes 10 times more sense even if your „toy“ costs 1000 times more.
What does this have to do with anything? Yes, the person handling my food should wear gloves. That does not contradict anything I've stated.

You keep belittling these pieces as "toys" and "mass-produced chunks of plastic from China". If that's all they are to you, why are you spending thousands of dollars on them?
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #67
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Newsflash: your statue(s) is (are) a big junk of plastic. Plastic is resistant to grease, sweat and whatever you mentioned above. There are several hundreds if not thousands of the same piece being displayed in many homes of other fellow collectors. Maybe you gonna sell yours in a few years and if its price will have gonne up till then, has nothing to do if you used gloves or not. My point: it‘s mass production made in China and treating it like literally THE holy grail by only touching it wearing gloves is kind of ridiculous. And to take your analogy with a Happy Meal toy a little bit out of context, but the waiter at McDonald‘s who serves you the ordered Happy Meal on a plate wears also gloves, only there it makes 10 times more sense even if your „toy“ costs 1000 times more.
I will never understand why people post this kind of stuff on a collecting forum...makes no sense and I can imagine is kind of insulting to some other collectors.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #68
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
just wish it was a t2 endo.
Nobody cares, stop threadcrapping.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #69
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
I will never understand why people post this kind of stuff on a collecting forum...makes no sense and I can imagine is kind of insulting to some other collectors.
I think it's just for perspective, even their own if no one elses. With how crazy many aspects of this hobby are, it's easy to get caught up in one's own mind and with like minded individuals to believe these things are more "valuable" than they really are.

I love some of my statues but I keep in mind it's all just a bunch of junk and have referred to them as such.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:27 PM   #70
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
I think it's just for perspective, even their own if no one elses. With how crazy many aspects of this hobby are, it's easy to get caught up in one's own mind and with like minded individuals to believe these things are more "valuable" than they really are.

I love some of my statues but I keep in mind it's all just a bunch of junk and have referred to them as such.
That's a flawed perspective then, this stuff isn't "junk" by any definition. You could use that same worthless kind of logic to say almost anything is "junk".