Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 09-30-2022, 10:20 AM   #251
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
This might've been an exception rather than the start of a new norm. Classic WW is a highly demanded character. Idk if they'll be able to pull something like this again.
Agree although if they nail the likeness on a Cavill Superman or (god forbid) a Reeve Superman...
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:22 AM   #252
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
But what about those of us who aren?t quite being priced out (at least for now), can we not also critique a piece? I?ve currently put a lot of my money down on Queen Studio pieces such as their busts, and they also receive quite a few critiques from collectors, but I rarely ever believe they?re totally invalid, heck sometimes I agree. I can buy a piece and critique it at the same time.

However I understand your point, and I?m sure a large portion of the critiques (especially on YouTube etc) are coming from collectors with absolutely no intention of ever spending that kind of money on a single piece, but it doesn?t cover everyone.

And I do agree that this is easily the best GG WW full body statue in her traditional outfit on the market.
of course, there are always exceptions that prove the rule - based on how you say your collecting habits are - I would suggest you are in a minority of people for whom money is no object (seriously) - my heart skips a beat just imagining the size of your pre order list.

Someone in your position, more than likely doesn't fit into my sweeping generalization....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Aka, your own critique is fine, but everyone else's is stupid. Got it.
I place myself firmly in the camp of people who are desperate not to like this piece. I so badly wanted it to fail so I could dodge the inevitable FOMO.....if you genuinely hate the piece, even a little, then fair play - I ENVY YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
So we ignore the likeness as it might be subjective? That makes no sense. We can't just assume it looks like gal because we are told it looks like her
Totally agree - I think that statement works in both directions.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:23 AM   #253
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I think we're all using the subjectivity of art to mask over the real problem..... $$$$$$

It's easier to convince ourselves (and others) that there are "unreasonable" flaws in the product, then it is to admit we've been priced out of the game.

Let's take money out of the discussion for a minute - and just focus on the art. If you want a full body - hyper real statue of WW Gal Gadot, and this from JND is not good enough - where are you shopping? Prime1? Queen Studios? - Sideshow?......if this JND piece is not artiscally good enough, but you'd happily gush over products from those other producers - sorry, you're lying to yourself....or you're blind.

It's only when we introduce the cost into the discussion - then things turn sour for JND. I don't see anything wrong with attacking the price, but her nose is too big, her lips are too round, etc. etc. is.....well......
This is why I ordered it. I think the only company at this point that could come close down the road would be Queen but who knows if they will even make a 1/3 Gal Wonder Woman.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:36 AM   #254
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Just give it time.

I thought I was insane spending $2K back in the day on those Prime 1 Trinity 1/2 scale pieces, and now I barely give any thought when I preordered my last five silicone busts which ranged from $3,680 to $3,980 before shipping and taxes to Australia.
I know there is a slow price creep that makes it easier to swallow, but eventually you get to a point (or at least I did) where even if you can afford it, you're left questioning the value of the purchase. I did buy their DK Batman/Wayne set, but even then, it was pushing what I was willing to pay for a mass produced collectible. Yeah, it was cheaper than two separate statues (at the time), but look what they increased the prices to when they offered Wayne separately for "The Batman" pieces. Between space considerations and cost increases, I see the end of my statue collecting days ahead.
Cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:44 AM   #255
nearmint
Phoenix

I've been considering preordering a piece thats $1999 for several months now. I really like it, but I just haven't been able to press that button.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:58 AM   #256
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
I understand what you are saying but I hope you are wrong.
Yeah, me too

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
This is why I ordered it. I think the only company at this point that could come close down the road would be Queen but who knows if they will even make a 1/3 Gal Wonder Woman.
I can easily imagine Queen putting out a polystone gadot classic WW at some point, with a good to great likeness- especially for the price they'll charge.

The ? Is how long, because they are in the middle of shipping out a quasi Gadot right now; how big it would be; what the pose would be...etc, etc. People that pass on this because of price will likely find a rewarding offering somewhere else down the line.
Right now, price aside, this checks almost all the boxes for me.

Only two things I was really wanting after the Alita bust - a Liz Olsen scarlet witch and a Gadot classic WW.
One down, one to go.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #257
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I've been considering preordering a piece thats $1999 for several months now. I really like it, but I just haven't been able to press that button.
I have to ask what you've been considering? I ask because I've noticed your comic knowledge is quite impressive, so that makes me wonder what you would be looking at considering your space considerations.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:05 AM   #258
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
...though now I'm wondering if it's the direct purchases that are more prone to issues since they aren't being shipped in batched up, secured chunks (like to another retailer) but just singular boxes getting bounced around as they transverse the globe?
I understand where you're coming from since things shipped via sea usually have less jostling around compared to air. However, I recently learned about the heat and humidity the shipping containers experience on those ships (especially in the summer months) - and it is excessive. Kind of a no-win situation for us buyers.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:14 AM   #259
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac View Post
I have to ask what you've been considering? I ask because I've noticed your comic knowledge is quite impressive, so that makes me wonder what you would be looking at considering your space considerations.
The Darkside Terminator Ultimate Edition. His width and depth are just 14", so he really wouldn't take up anymore space than a 1/4 scale piece.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 12:26 PM   #260
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
The Darkside Terminator Ultimate Edition. His width and depth are just 14", so he really wouldn't take up anymore space than a 1/4 scale piece.
Wow - I was expecting a comic piece. LOL

I didn't even know that existed, but it looks good.