Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 09-30-2022, 12:28 PM   #261
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I've been considering preordering a piece thats $1999 for several months now. I really like it, but I just haven't been able to press that button.
My God - I left $1999 in the rear view mirror, back in 2020.....and I don't say that with any pride....

If you've made it this far, and haven't crossed the $2k line, my advice - hold on to your virginity.....
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 12:31 PM   #262
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
My God - I left $1999 in the rear view mirror, back in 2020.....and I don't say that with any pride....

If you've made it this far, and haven't crossed the $2k line, my advice - hold on to your virginity.....
Closest I've gotten is $1700 for the LBS Thor.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 01:18 PM   #263
sabin23
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac View Post
I've been wondering if this was a way for them to test what the market can bear. I still think companies are going to crank up prices beyond the inflation and blame the total cost increase on it. I know people have said this for years, but eventually there will be a price point where people stop spending. Right now, that price point seems to be around that Prime 1 Final Fantasy 6 Terra 1:6 statue for about $15K.
So far, that FF6 Terra Prime 1 statue is the only collectible I've really wanted to purchase but crossed that threshold of being unreasonable at $15K.

I was willing to pay upwards of $5,000, maybe even $6,000 before the price was announced by Prime 1 statue. Part of me still wants to plunk down that $15K (since FF6 is my favorite game) but I have to draw the line somewhere since it is a slippery slope.

Limited to 600 @$15K each, reserved for just the top 1% class.

I don't believe the high collectible market has self-corrected yet, we're still in the midst of an golden era or renaissance.

The closest analogy is what happened in the comic book and sports card market crashing in the 1990s, but I think that decline was more due to product over-saturation, speculative investing and gimmicks (variant/foil/hologram covers) rather than unreasonable MSRP prices.
sabin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 01:42 PM   #264
sabin23
Birdman

Quote:
Wow - I was expecting a comic piece. LOL

I didn't even know that existed, but it looks good.
Overall, I like the Darkside Terminator sculpts but the paint apps are not up to par relative to the market.

At least not relative to the amazing improvements that companies like Queen/Prime 1 are doing with applying realistic paint apps to Polystone material in similar scales.

Also, Darkside prices are quite high - but I like T2 so much, I caved and PO'd the 1:4 statue and will highly pick up the 1:3 Arnie too that nearmint brought up.
sabin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:57 PM   #265
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
The Darkside Terminator Ultimate Edition. His width and depth are just 14", so he really wouldn't take up anymore space than a 1/4 scale piece.
Quote:
Wow - I was expecting a comic piece. LOL

I didn't even know that existed, but it looks good.
He's slowly but surely being seduced by the dark side of collecting; movie pieces!
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:05 PM   #266
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post

I passed that threshold what almost seems like a life time ago. Again, I believe it was when I preordered each of the pieces from the Prime 1 1/2 scale Trinity set back in 2015/2016. 7 long years ago!
Old 09-30-2022, 05:26 PM   #267
Brandon
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabin23 View Post
So far, that FF6 Terra Prime 1 statue is the only collectible I've really wanted to purchase but crossed that threshold of being unreasonable at $15K.

I was willing to pay upwards of $5,000, maybe even $6,000 before the price was announced by Prime 1 statue. Part of me still wants to plunk down that $15K (since FF6 is my favorite game) but I have to draw the line somewhere since it is a slippery slope.

Limited to 600 @$15K each, reserved for just the top 1% class.

I don't believe the high collectible market has self-corrected yet, we're still in the midst of an golden era or renaissance.

The closest analogy is what happened in the comic book and sports card market crashing in the 1990s, but I think that decline was more due to product over-saturation, speculative investing and gimmicks (variant/foil/hologram covers) rather than unreasonable MSRP prices.

Housing, stocks, automotive, watches, etc. Demand, and subsequently, prices in many, if not all markets has been steadily decreasing, and it's expected to get worse next year. I'm curious to see if this will translate into the statue market. This year, buying already seems to have slowed down in the aftermarket. I've seen great statues for sale under retail that still aren't selling.

Many companies aren't selling out anymore, especially their high-ticket items. P1, Queen, XM. Not even JND's last three releases are sold out, despite what they'd have you believe.

I've only been collecting since 2017, but from I've seen prices have only increased since then. Some think this will continue indefinitely, I hope 2023 proves them wrong.
Brandon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:49 PM   #268
redbloodedboy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Closest I've gotten is $1700 for the LBS Thor.
This is now officially the most I have spent on a piece. If you asked me 3 years ago I would never have imagined spending this much. I recall one of my first 1:6 scale spending close to $400 and thinking that was a lot!
redbloodedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:31 PM   #269
RemydaGambit
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Yeah, last year, I was a 1/6 collector. Ha Ha
I admired statue collectors from afar, watching them in youtube videos.
And I thought to myself, man, I'm glad I'm not like these guys, just for the price of shipping, you can have a hot toys, or maybe even two.

Now I'm looking into getting this piece.
RemydaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:36 PM   #270
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemydaGambit View Post
Yeah, last year, I was a 1/6 collector. Ha Ha
I admired statue collectors from afar, watching them in youtube videos.
And I thought to myself, man, I'm glad I'm not like these guys, just for the price of shipping, you can have a hot toys, or maybe even two.

Now I'm looking into getting this piece.
It’s just a matter of quality over quantity, or at least that’s what I like to tell myself when I’m spending in this price range.