Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-17-2022, 10:32 AM   #411
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
I wouldn't buy any statue as an investment....PERIOD.

Too many companies have the same license and chances are you'll see something better released at a later date.

...then you have the re-releases/ reissues/variants, etc. Its funny... you see this constantly with Alex Ross art with previously sold out editions being re-released on canvas/print...just because another publisher now holds the license ( sound familiar?)
That is how I see it. This is a hobby for me and frankly, if I can break even when it is all said and done, I'll be happy.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:24 AM   #412
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
I wouldn't buy any statue as an investment....PERIOD.

Too many companies have the same license and chances are you'll see something better released at a later date.

...then you have the re-releases/ reissues/variants, etc. Its funny... you see this constantly with Alex Ross art with previously sold out editions being re-released on canvas/print...just because another publisher now holds the license ( sound familiar?)

I think you nailed it. Too much repetition, too much duplication, too many cooks pi$$ing in the same pot - basically.

I would even go one step further, if it's a statue from any mainstream franchise - it's not investment grade.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:17 PM   #413
thenic123
Doh!

I asked cause I see them listed on ebay for double or triple of what they were when offered for PO on JNDs site.

These JNDs are the top tier of top line statues and emphasise "Hyper Real" with asking prices being more than other statue manufacturers that use standard materials. JND specifically use silicone and will that cause an issue in 10+ years time as the environment, dust and handling may affect these pieces? Now they've raised the bar again for collectors with their "Platinum" range. The only difference between the standard "hyper real" and "platinum" I see is more silicone is used and there's weapons now.

I'm still thinking about getting this as it's a lot of money on a meagre income, though if I can generate the money ($6k AUS), I will try to purchase one if they're still available. This better be an UNBELIEVABLE statue for the money asked.
thenic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 01:08 AM   #414
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenic123 View Post
I asked cause I see them listed on ebay for double or triple of what they were when offered for PO on JNDs site.

These JNDs are the top tier of top line statues and emphasise "Hyper Real" with asking prices being more than other statue manufacturers that use standard materials. JND specifically use silicone and will that cause an issue in 10+ years time as the environment, dust and handling may affect these pieces? Now they've raised the bar again for collectors with their "Platinum" range. The only difference between the standard "hyper real" and "platinum" I see is more silicone is used and there's weapons now.

I'm still thinking about getting this as it's a lot of money on a meagre income, though if I can generate the money ($6k AUS), I will try to purchase one if they're still available. This better be an UNBELIEVABLE statue for the money asked.
Well you can see what it looks like in the pics, so if you like how it looks and can afford it, go for it. If you're concerned about the price, just bear in mind she doesn?t talk or do the washing up etc, and ultimately won't change your life there will also be other pieces in the future that are meant to be the next best thing so just bear that in mind. Also, more people are realising these are expensive toys and getting the same idea about flipping, but there's no guarantee you'll make your money back
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 01:31 AM   #415
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenic123 View Post
JND specifically use silicone and will that cause an issue in 10+ years time as the environment, dust and handling may affect these pieces?
After doing some personal research on the silicone material topic, I personally came to the conclusion that these products should out last us (normal human lifetime).......

Generally speaking, silicone is a tough, material - designed to be robust under use in some astonishingly rough environments. The better the grade of silicone the better the longevity of the product.

Considering how your average statue is treated, the breakdown time of silicone will be measured in decades.

Here's the thing, ALL materials breakdown over time, even stone and bronze, it just takes so long before you can witness such degradation with the human eye, that they seem to be "eternal".

As usual, there is an obvious caveat - how much do you trust these companies to actually use the premium level silicone? They know that most of us do not have the means (balls) to test the material type used.....but saying that, it's quite a gamble on their part if they are lying, because it would literally take one collector to expose their false claims - if that were the case.

That all said, even the lowest quality silicone is quite robust (shouldn't be confused with latex) - I mean, just look at some of the silicone sealants used around your home, how long have they held up - and the lowest type of silicone that could be used for statues are far and above those silicone types.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:45 AM   #416
thenic123
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
Well you can see what it looks like in the pics, so if you like how it looks and can afford it, go for it. If you're concerned about the price, just bear in mind she doesn?t talk or do the washing up etc, and ultimately won't change your life there will also be other pieces in the future that are meant to be the next best thing so just bear that in mind. Also, more people are realising these are expensive toys and getting the same idea about flipping, but there's no guarantee you'll make your money back
Maybe in 50 years time if humans are still around and robotics have made mainstream, statues might be able recreate poses by themselves like Robosens self transforming Optimus.
thenic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 02:02 PM   #417
RemydaGambit
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I own a 1/6 Joker that's silicone with glass eyes. Its over a decade and it still looks the same as when I first got it.

I'm not worried about it at all.
I dont think JND is stupid enough to cut cost and use cheaper materials as its a company suicide. If any of these statues starts to show tear, forget about any future statues.
Its in their best interest to use the best materials, hence, why its a factor on why they are not cheap.

I met a guy who lost an arm years ago due to a motorcycle accident, and had a fake silicone arm. He handed it to my wife who was curious, and my wife freaked out and quickly gave it to me. It was sooo realistic. I too got creeped out, it felt like I was holding an actual arm. So I know full well what JND collectors mean when they say you have to see it in person.
The guy told me the arm cost him $40k. And this was about 8 years ago. So these medical grade silicone are made to last for a long long time. They're not gonna charge $$$ only for it to degrade in about 5 years.
By the time these degrade, you have cherished it long enough to justify its cost.
RemydaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 03:09 PM   #418
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Well Sugo’s stock dropped from 5 down to 3 remaining a couple days ago (after it not moving for a couple of weeks). So they may sell out eventually, but now I’m currently thinking that 3 pieces seems to be the default remaining stock for a lot of pieces, so they may just have adjusted their wanted stock from their distributor?
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 05:18 PM   #419
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Well Sugo?s stock dropped from 5 down to 3 remaining a couple days ago (after it not moving for a couple of weeks). So they may sell out eventually, but now I?m currently thinking that 3 pieces seems to be the default remaining stock for a lot of pieces, so they may just have adjusted their wanted stock from their distributor?
I wonder if people were waiting for a response to this piece from Queen or Prime1 - and now they've seen the scattershot product releases from Queen - and there's no chance of anything remotely convincing coming out of P1 - so this is the only game in town.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:48 PM   #420
RemydaGambit
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

She's sold out on BBTS and waitlisted now on Spec.
RemydaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote