Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 10-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

Escaped Animals Killed...

So we had a fun week this week here in Zanesville it even made good morning america lol

http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article...r_monkey/full/
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
twoferflinchin
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Glad those cops shot those dangerous animals.

Last edited by armitage; 10-23-2011 at 02:35 PM.
twoferflinchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoferflinchin View Post
Way to control the situation.
Oh yeah it didn't go over to well with them killing so many

Last edited by armitage; 10-23-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
MrYac
Hercules

while the situation certainly is awful theres no way the law officers in that area were in any way equiped to wrangle animals like that, and i don't know about you but i certainly wouldn't want my kids having to be on the lookout for lions and tigers on their way to school
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:50 AM   #5
twoferflinchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
while the situation certainly is awful theres no way the law officers in that area were in any way equiped to wrangle animals like that, and i don't know about you but i certainly wouldn't want my kids having to be on the lookout for lions and tigers on their way to school
Would the cops have shot on sight if the local prison or state asylum emptied? Not likely. They would have locked down the city until the inmates were captured. Tranqs work just as well as shotguns, and are just as easy to come by. Many of the animals killed weren't dangerous at all. The authorities took the lazy route & probably enjoyed it.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoferflinchin View Post
Would the cops have shot on sight if the local prison or state asylum emptied? Not likely. They would have locked down the city until the inmates were captured. Tranqs work just as well as shotguns, and are just as easy to come by. Many of the animals killed weren't dangerous at all. The authorities took the lazy route & probably enjoyed it.

The article said, "Deputies killed 18 rare Bengal tigers, 17 lions and eight bears", so out of the 48 animals shot, this accounts for 43 of the animals you claim weren't dangerous. If the other five killed were anything other than Turtles or Guinea Pigs, I'd say they probably count as dangerous as well.

Supposedly the cages where the animals were housed were destroyed by the guy, so even if they captured the animals, they couldn't be returned to their original cages. Jack Hanna said the Columbus Zoo wasn't capable of suddenly taking in over 50 animals either.

It's a crappy situation, but shooting the animals was pretty much the only available option considering how many there were.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I belong to a couple of wolf preservation societies, so I'd be one of the first people horrified by all of this death, but...

.. better that the animals died than one child die that they may have come across (though, yeah.. too bad they couldn't have been tranqed, but I understand their concern with doing so)...

.. and what happened to all of that meat? You kill all those animals, you had BETTER eat them; was that even addressed?

Sell the meat (and the skins, I guess.. though that's entering poaching territory).. turn it into jerky/whatever, and turn those profits over to the World Wildlife Fund, Wildlife Conservation Society, or some like-minded organization.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I'm allergic to Guinea Pigs (love the li'l buggers, though)... and Snapping Turtles, while delicious, probably can do some damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post

If the other five killed were anything other than Turtles or Guinea Pigs, I'd say they probably count as dangerous as well.

Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
twoferflinchin

There's no way you can convince me nothing else short of killing them could be accomplished. That being said, tigers, lions & bears should not be owned by ANYONE. It's just asking for trouble.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Rednecks? You prejudiced little jerk!
Do you call the Africans who chop off adult Gorillas hands leaving them for dead and have decimated the gorilla population and steal their babies for rich people n!**ers?
Do you call the Chinese, ch!nks who have killed many of the Tigers for making wine and "medical potions" leaving the population nearly extinct?
What racist epithet do you call the Japanese who kill millions of sharks for shark fin soup, placing the ecosystem in danger? J@p? N!p?
I'm betting all of the above.

Last edited by armitage; 10-23-2011 at 11:25 PM.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote