Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Marvel's Legacy: Spoilers

Just as DC had Rebirth given its waning audience with New 52, now we're getting Legacy from Marvel where it appears waning sales due to their turning away from legacy characters has caused them to go back to their traditional characters.

I'm all for new characters and major turns with existing characters, but would have preferred they not had abandoned FF (completely), and who we knew as Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk and others in favor of what feels like a wholesale move away from FF, Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Odinson, Bruce Banner and others.

Ms. Marvel, Jane Foster as Thor and Miles Morales are all examples of what good writing can do to bring fresh stories to a decade's-old franchise. I hope we see new ideas from The House of Ideas but am looking forward to seeing Marvel's returning to something I can once again recognize.

http://www.newsarama.com/34197-marve...ck-extras.html

Last edited by wktf; 09-27-2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Adding spoilers notice.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

One part of me wants the traditional characters back, but the other part of me just want good stories and doesn't care if the characters are old or new.
Let's just wait and see what new ideas they'll bring.

I read an article on yahoo regarding this event (and the over-sized, one-shot special) and Alonso says: "Let's just say there's a last-page reveal that's probably gonna break the Internet."
When I read this I was like
Leon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Yeah, agree. Axel's not in a position to state anything about breaking the internet after his nearly complete mishandling of the Marvel Universe.

I also completely agree with your point about good stories which, I interpret, is the same as my point about good writing. I'm really loving what's Jason Aaron's doing on Thor, regardless of the fact that Odinson is no longer the title character. And that's because he's writing exceptionally good stories.

The problem at both Marvel and DC has been with story telling which, with some exceptions like Aaron's Thor or Snyder's Batman, has sunk sales at both companies that the shock value and speculator-fuel of New 52 or Marvel All-New NOW couldn't sustain.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léon View Post
One part of me wants the traditional characters back, but the other part of me just want good stories and doesn't care if the characters are old or new.
Let's just wait and see what new ideas they'll bring.

I read an article on yahoo regarding this event (and the over-sized, one-shot special) and Alonso says: "Let's just say there's a last-page reveal that's probably gonna break the Internet."
When I read this I was like
Oh boy...Cap's not a dude, is he?
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

IMO, & I know, I know, I'm a dinosaur reader, an old man clinging to the glory days (not really), but Marvel shot themselves in the foot years ago, almost with the roll-in of the Ultimate U in with the regular one. They may be scrambling to fix things, but ... they're going to walk with a limp from here on out. I buy a lot less Marvel now & am fine with it. I can't really see myself scrambling back for $5 comic books just because Marvel says everything's going to be ok again.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Read Manga. Berserk is awesome
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
IMO, & I know, I know, I'm a dinosaur reader, an old man clinging to the glory days (not really), but Marvel shot themselves in the foot years ago, almost with the roll-in of the Ultimate U in with the regular one. They may be scrambling to fix things, but ... they're going to walk with a limp from here on out. I buy a lot less Marvel now & am fine with it. I can't really see myself scrambling back for $5 comic books just because Marvel says everything's going to be ok again.
I'm with you, Jerry. Let's just sit together, like the old dinosaurs we are, and read our classic stories waiting for the meteor to come.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #8
protector2814
Phoenix

LOL - Joe, you know I still enjoy & read many of the modern Marvel books. I talk about them here & remain fairly optimistic about the books I like & buy, for which they're are many. But for me, the meteor hit a while back with One More Day w/ Marvel's attempt at revisionist history for Spiderman. That was a precursor for me. Kick-off towards the downward spiral.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I still read them, too, Jerry. And, ouch, One More Day. No words. Well, when we sit together reading our books waiting for the extinction level meteor let's just make sure we're sipping an aged whiskey.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:16 AM   #10
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I read the Captain America spoiler and it's like they made it even worse than the last one by without spoiling it seemingly tainting another character in the process. It's like that one episode or two part of G.I. Joe when Duke was a traitor. Somehow the people at Marvel think what they are doing is a good thing. Perhaps it's good for sales. I know I'm not buying these comics.

It's all big events and comics leading into the next event now. I thought Secret Wars was supposed to clear everything up but now something else is happening to bring characters back again.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote