Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-16-2016, 05:39 PM   #111
Davidian
Omega Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
PGX has a horrible reputation. You can get more money selling raw than PGX.

CGC is definitely the #1 sought after slab. But CBCS is starting to make a dent. I wouldn't hesitate to go with them as well.
The reason I asked is because CGC won't grade Jay Company comics due to the front and back covers overlapping the actual pages. Research has shown me that PGX was the only company that would grade these.

Do you have personal experience with PGX? I've had a few books graded by CGC and they were great, so I was just trying to get a feeler from those of you whom have dealt with them personally.

I'll have to look into CBCS and see if they'll grade Jay Co comics.
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:29 PM   #112
Wombat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Thankfully PGX was already in the toilet by the time I was looking at graded comics so I didn't make that mistake.

I did find these on ebay though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-CGC-9-8...8AAOSwDNdVkdjN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fathom-v2-2-...oAAOSwh-1W5J7e

Are these the type of comic you are talking about?
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:02 AM   #113
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Thankfully PGX was already in the toilet by the time I was looking at graded comics so I didn't make that mistake.

I LOVE the fact that the seller's description is full of typos on a listing about an item with mistakes!!
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #114
Davidian
Omega Flight

Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fathom-v2-2-...oAAOSwh-1W5J7e

That first URL is laughable, the second one, yes, but I don't believe that one is the usual Jay Co cover style, as the edges protrude off the pages, hence why CGC won't grade them.

I got a response back from CBCS and they won't grade them either.

When you say PGX is in the toilet, care to elaborate? Just in for info is all since I've heard both good and bad things about them, but nobody really goes into why they think they're bad.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:36 PM   #115
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Looks like CGC will be doing on site grading in Baltimore so I may bring a few books along. What am I looking at in terms of this process? Time? Cost? What should I be aware of and be considering?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #116
Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Looks like CGC will be doing on site grading in Baltimore so I may bring a few books along. What am I looking at in terms of this process? Time? Cost? What should I be aware of and be considering?
Your best bet is to go on the CGC forum. You will get some very good advice. You definitely want to fill out your forms before hand to save you time. Cost will depend on the value of the book.

I will be at Baltimore as well. Debating on getting some books slabbed. I'm still a bit hesitant with the new slab from CGC though. Can't do CBCS as they don't do magazine size comics.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #117
Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidian View Post

When you say PGX is in the toilet, care to elaborate? Just in for info is all since I've heard both good and bad things about them, but nobody really goes into why they think they're bad.
All my information is second hand. I don't think anyone trusts their grading. Which is a pretty big problem. There are also some shenanigans in their past. If you search I'm sure you can find lots of good reading.

I can't think of any good reason to use them over another company, unless its an issue like you have with not being able to get certain books slabbed. But even then I would just leave them raw.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #118
Davidian
Omega Flight

Quote:
All my information is second hand. I don't think anyone trusts their grading. Which is a pretty big problem. There are also some shenanigans in their past. If you search I'm sure you can find lots of good reading.

I can't think of any good reason to use them over another company, unless its an issue like you have with not being able to get certain books slabbed. But even then I would just leave them raw.
Hmm, good to know, thank you! I guess I better take extra care of them to keep them raw, I'll just slab the rest. That'll save me quite a bit of money too!
Old 07-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #119
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Your best bet is to go on the CGC forum. You will get some very good advice. You definitely want to fill out your forms before hand to save you time. Cost will depend on the value of the book.

I will be at Baltimore as well. Debating on getting some books slabbed. I'm still a bit hesitant with the new slab from CGC though. Can't do CBCS as they don't do magazine size comics.
Will do.

Anyone here have experience slabbing at shows? Good experience? Cost difference vs doing via regular method? Is there a lot of waiting in line?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #120
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Will do.

Anyone here have experience slabbing at shows? Good experience? Cost difference vs doing via regular method? Is there a lot of waiting in line?
This is the only way I've ever presented my books for certification. I'll bring 15-20 books to the Baltimore convention each year & turn them over in person. I just don't trust the mail, but that's just me. I've never had a line, at most 2 folks in front of me. The slabbing companies have always been very well staffed & helpful. I'll give 'em my cc info. & am usually charged a week or so later. Book turn around takes a while though. I've waited months, but that's cool. I'm never in a hurry & won't pay for the expedited service. Bottom line, from my hands to theirs. Same price, minus the postage, as what I'd pay to ship my books to them. It's also kinda fun ... being with like-minded people. We all "ewww & ahhhh" over each others submissions.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote