Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Customs Corner

Old 06-25-2018, 12:20 AM   #1
Enforcer
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Custom Jurassic Park Ford Explorer 1/20 Scale

UPDATE JAN 5, 2020: In the interest of keeping this dream alive for all who want a guide, and so I don't have to reupload images, visit https://enforcerstf.livejournal.com/ where I made detailed logs of my journey with pictures. For the record, I have not given up on finishing my dio of Chronicle's rex and these explorers. But there have been extensive delays as I debate how best to move forward with that.

Good Evening,

For everyone who is unaware, I have been working now for nearly two years, when I could afford the time, working on a custom linderg Jurassic Park Ford Explorer in the 1/20 scale for my Jurassic Park dio with Chronicle Collectible's Break Out Rex. The pictures I am presenting you with is the result of my long journey and many, many, many and perhaps too many, hours of work. I stress that I am not 100% finished, but I got the itch to see this thing constructed for a short time before I deconstruct it to finish the roof.

The roof has been an incredible headache and has been on my mind practically every time I sat down to work on this. I believe I finally have it figured out to look right. I put the roof in place for pictures, and the glass part is an old cut out job trying to figure it out. It is not the final solution piece. I am also creating the other explorer where the scene requires an open door. I look forward to posting that one and new pictures of this explorer when completed, and my final pictures when I am done with my entire dio, including trees, fence, you name it, except for rain... I hope it inspires others to do the same if they are waiting for a retail product solution that frankly, may never come for their CC BO rex.

Also yes, I think I took the tires too far, but I have 24 more tires to work on that and can easily take them on and off. Lastly the paint app is not 1000% accurate but it was kind of impossible to get that right so I did the best eyeballin' I could and was forced to take some liberties to get it acceptable.

Enforcer out!

Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
statuemonger
Sailor Moon

Very well done and cool!!!!
statuemonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Enforcer

Open door explorer - WiP

Old 07-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #4
Enforcer

Getting there. Roofs are now on. Note for the future: Just say no to using super glue around clear styrene. It caused a disaster of forming finger prints(i believe the chemicals in the glue cause it) but I think I will live with it until I get around to creating an explorer to replace my borked one(one on the left). It will cause too much damage to tear it out and start over. It is the same explorer I suffered a disaster earlier with tape pulling paint off, and I never liked my old cut out before I changed to a more rounded cut out, so I won't shed any tears over it. It just kind of figures a final nail in the coffin would pop up before I exclaimed victory. On the positive side I have the entire process down and I expect to finish an explorer from start to end in just a week if I invest enough of my free time into it, but probably under a month.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
SONICobra
Batman

outstanding work my man! please post pics of the set up when done
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
Enforcer

Thanks Sonic, I appreciate that.

I expect that in a few days I can say I am done after I finish 8 more tires, which are currently drying after mud effects. I toned it down by alot. Although the scene calls for mostly clean tires, I already applied mud effects to the underside of the explorer which were already toned down so I'm sticking with muddy tires. My next set of pictures will be finished explorers and the break out rex in position after I touch up the red areas where I applied putty around the glass roof to hide my cut out.

My diorama is still 6 months away from being finished as I study Chronicle's fence design and figure out what styrene I need to buy to recreate it, and of course my trees. Overall I expect the dio to reach 6' x 3'. My final challenge is scratch building a case out of pexi or glass to keep the dust away.

Also I may yet downside the spot light on each explorer. I've been noticing they seem a tad large and I never glued them in place but that's been this project for me LOL, constant redesigns to try to achieve the proper scale. Even the guard bar is a bit large I believe(I think of human standing next to it and it just comes off as oversized in my mind, same thing I do for the spot light and a human holding it in their hands) but the difference is so small I am living with it.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:50 AM   #7
Enforcer

Open door now attached. Note to self: I sorely wished I did a test run on roof attachment but...ah well. Good news is the next one I build will have that clear roof because I'm being anal about as much perfection I can make happen at 1:20 scale. Notice that the side logos are 100% accurate - meaning the Trex bone design is accurate and where the R and A in Jurassic have the correct "separation" between each other. The more common side logo decal images you find all over google are wrong. Different trex bones included. I found this on google search. You just have to bare in mind the R and A are further apart than closer together. You find that image you also find the correct trex bones along with it. I only found the one image...perhaps I should repost that image for people so they can be certain they have accuracy.....

Old 07-03-2018, 01:12 AM   #8
Enforcer

Because this is where I expect the most views by potential creators, I will post this here before I do on a future LJ post where I have been keeping track of my progress. It's very important to get right.

Just so we are absolutely certain it is correct: