Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 02-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #111
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigeo View Post
I never liked this version of WW. Her face looks to much like a man to me.

How come she has no jawline nor a hint of ears? She looks like Earthworm Jim.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #112
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
How come she has no jawline nor a hint of ears? She looks like Earthworm Jim.
She does,

But the neck is a bit long and depending on the angle/lighting it can hide some of the details.

My issue is this was made as a smaller scale statue so when they blow it up to 1/6th for this line I don't think it's going to have enough detail to hold it's own against the rest.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #113
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
She does
She does on that proto there, but she definitely doesn't seem to have one on the pic I quoted regardless of lighting, which I wouldn't rule out due to the kind of resin DCC is using of late, which tends to smooth things out and kill a lot of detail.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #114
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post

Looks like he's growing scales under his arms.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #115
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
At this point I think The DC Designer Series has replaced what the Koto ArtFX+ was for me. And for the better. These are better sculpted, painted and have no seam lines or any of that garbage and all for a small amount more than Koto.

I hope they do a GL. I'd really like to see it.
I complained about the ArtFX seam lines from photos before I got the Trinity in-hand earlier this year (I know I'm late to the party) I prefer Koto's painted skin with gradation to DCC's colorcast resin, which doesn't bring out the chiseled features of the faces and musculature as well.

Also, while the Designer Series is a definite value for the scale, the smaller Hughes Cover Girls and Batman Black & White statues "feel" more expensive to me, not just because some are rereleases from those lines. ArtFX statues have a surprising amount of heft and shading that speak to their quality and despite the seams--which are at least smartly placed where the muscles join--whereas the Designer pieces look more like assembled, flatly colored pieces and are too prone to simple breakages (eBay is filled with listings for chipped or broken Tarr Batgirls and Kubert Batmans).

Even as someone who's less of a Jim Lee fan than the majority of artists used for the Designer series, my experience buying DCC, barring any QC issues, has been about what I'd expect with the reasonabe retail price. Koto statues however exceed expectations nearly, if not every time. This isn't to sh*t on DCC because, if were to add DST Premier statues to the equation, the Designer statues would just crush them compared to my admittedly subjective preference for Koto's products (I own about the same amount from each company.)
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #116
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Finally shipped my Pile of Loot from BBTS to get my Designer Series Harley. I have the 2nd edition B&W version that I was going to repaint in color, but I don't have to do that know.

Here's a side by side with the original Batman B&W statue

And a comparison between the first and latest incarnation of HQ
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:26 PM   #117
iceprince_x
Deadman

So excited to get my Harley now...the two Harley versions look great together as the evolution of the tv series to movie
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #118
Gothamite
Phoenix

Lol, Bruce Timm Harley is taller than Margot Robbie Harley.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:43 PM   #119
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
I complained about the ArtFX seam lines from photos before I got the Trinity in-hand earlier this year (I know I'm late to the party) I prefer Koto's painted skin with gradation to DCC's colorcast resin, which doesn't bring out the chiseled features of the faces and musculature as well.

Also, while the Designer Series is a definite value for the scale, the smaller Hughes Cover Girls and Batman Black & White statues "feel" more expensive to me, not just because some are rereleases from those lines. ArtFX statues have a surprising amount of heft and shading that speak to their quality and despite the seams--which are at least smartly placed where the muscles join--whereas the Designer pieces look more like assembled, flatly colored pieces and are too prone to simple breakages (eBay is filled with listings for chipped or broken Tarr Batgirls and Kubert Batmans).

Even as someone who's less of a Jim Lee fan than the majority of artists used for the Designer series, my experience buying DCC, barring any QC issues, has been about what I'd expect with the reasonabe retail price. Koto statues however exceed expectations nearly, if not every time. This isn't to sh*t on DCC because, if were to add DST Premier statues to the equation, the Designer statues would just crush them compared to my admittedly subjective preference for Koto's products (I own about the same amount from each company.)
You must see koto much differently than me. Their statues have no paint shading at all. Its all flat color. And everything in PVC feels light and plastic. All their skin tones have no color gradiant either. Basically I only buy koto if I can get a substantial deal.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:18 AM   #120
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
You must see koto much differently than me. Their statues have no paint shading at all. Its all flat color. And everything in PVC feels light and plastic. All their skin tones have no color gradiant either. Basically I only buy koto if I can get a substantial deal.
Yeah, it just reads like you came to this thread with a general anti-PVC bias, which may not be any worse than mine toward colorcast resin (although I'd never say "all statues made from this material feel cheap.") The comment about lack of paint gradiant is either false or the deals you're referring to getting on Koto pieces don't include the ArtFX pieces, whose gradation on the blue Hush Batman for example, was actually a bit overdone for my taste compared to the black variant. It's whatever though. Enjoy the statues you receive.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote