Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #1811
Thegreywizard
The Spirit

Ahh that may be them, thanks. I'll do some more research on the PAX's now.
Thegreywizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #1812
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Building my own display, first time, and could use some advised.

Let me start off by saying I'm a lousy handy-man. I don't have the math skills required to figure out if something is compatible or not as far as frames.

I check on Ikea's website, and I see they sell individual besta. These look simple enough that I could possible put them together individually.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/besta-f...rown-20245964/

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/sindvik...lass-00296313/

If I was to buy the two above links, would the dimensions line up alright between the Besta's and the clear glass doors?

The hinges recommend on the website look cheap so I wanted to know about other options or suggestions?

For lighting, I want to go with these....
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/ledberg...hite-40430828/

Stacking them up together, how tall is safe? 3 Besta secured on top of each other or 4? Should I attempt to make a base for more stability before stacking these Besta together?

And finally, if anyone here has already done it, what do you think a cabinet maker would charge me, to assemble this for me? (Not saying I won't attempt this myself, just wondering if I might save myself a headache.)

Again any advise would be appreciated.
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #1813
built2shred
Phoenix

I would look at moducase, a bit more expensive than IKEA but I think they work better with statues. The only real issue I have about them is their weird dimensions and it's probably because they were designed in metric, for example most wall lengths are like 5'-0 long 8'-0 long or 6 1/2' long etc... the case lengths are like 4'-3" or 8'-8" so it can be a little tough trying to fill up your wall perfectly, I have an opening in the wall that's exactly 60" wide but the closest display case they have is 53" wide.

There's also a kick starter for Legendary Cases which look really cool with the lighting and all but I did notice they don't have a front window on the case it's open so if you live in a dust prone area it could be lots of dusting involved.

As for Besta, stacking them up on top of each other, they do have wall anchors that secure them to the wall, so they won't fall over in an earthquake.

What I found out about cabinetmakers, make sure you deal directly with the person making the cabinets, there are a lot of companies out there that act like cabinetmakers but are only salesman, basically they pay the cabinetmaker to make the case for you but add a huge markup for themselves. I went to a local place, and they had this big showroom and when I asked for a price it came out to around $15,000 but when I asked around I found a guy who is an actual cabinetmaker, and he built the cabinets in his shop for $4000
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #1814
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I was very lucky that a friend of mine (who is also my chiropractor) also does woodworking and he was able to build my two sets of shelves where I am able to display my statues. I actually had them put on castors so they are not built ins so I am able to take them with me.

I agree it is easier to get remade ones and there are some that look fantastic but I agree with built2shred and maybe look for someone local. You would get something that would be custom made to your specifications and it would not be a one size fits all. Plus, in my case, my shelving does not need to be secured to the wall.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #1815
Infinite GLORY
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Im also interested to know what glass doors and hinges you use for the bestas.

I’ve looked at moducase previously. They look real good. Just expensive. But so are the statues we put in them.
Infinite GLORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #1816
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I look at the Moducase website, they are super nice, although they are out of my price range.

I guess I'll save up, and see a cabinetmaker directly if possible.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #1817
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I would look at moducase, a bit more expensive than IKEA but I think they work better with statues. The only real issue I have about them is their weird dimensions and it's probably because they were designed in metric, for example most wall lengths are like 5'-0 long 8'-0 long or 6 1/2' long etc... the case lengths are like 4'-3" or 8'-8" so it can be a little tough trying to fill up your wall perfectly, I have an opening in the wall that's exactly 60" wide but the closest display case they have is 53" wide.

There's also a kick starter for Legendary Cases which look really cool with the lighting and all but I did notice they don't have a front window on the case it's open so if you live in a dust prone area it could be lots of dusting involved.

As for Besta, stacking them up on top of each other, they do have wall anchors that secure them to the wall, so they won't fall over in an earthquake.

What I found out about cabinetmakers, make sure you deal directly with the person making the cabinets, there are a lot of companies out there that act like cabinetmakers but are only salesman, basically they pay the cabinetmaker to make the case for you but add a huge markup for themselves. I went to a local place, and they had this big showroom and when I asked for a price it came out to around $15,000 but when I asked around I found a guy who is an actual cabinetmaker, and he built the cabinets in his shop for $4000
Built makes a good point if you can get a cabinet maker to do a custom cabinet it would be nice, just make sure you get measurements correct.

If you are just starting out Ikea isn't a bad deal, but kinda cheap/cheap looking. If you don't have a ton of cash and just getting into statues.

Next step up is Moducase, def classier and nicer than Ikea. Moducase MAX plus are good for the bigger Statues like the XM Dark Pheonix/Magneto PF/Juggernaut. The other sizes can work as long as you do your research and size all your statues up. Last thing you want is to get the cases and find out your grail piece won't work. Draw back is they are on crazy long back orders do to COVID19

Legendary displays is new and they did end up making front panels so that it prevents dust from coming in. They are taking orders now with a shorter ship time from what they are anticipating but COVID could affect it. Draw backs is that current sizing won't allow statues above to fit unless you don't use the light base. But if you are stacking them, maybe it won't be such an issue. Also keep in mind they are heavy (Large cases only stack 3 high) and expensive. They are def next level cases, and probably ultimate if they can deliver.

I get that people don't want to spend money on display cabinets cause it takes PO money away from you. But if you are spending that much on a collection why not classy it up. I know you don't want to spend all your time dusting off several statues, and probably easier to clean up the outside of a display case than individually dusting off each item out in the open. Ultimately before dropping serious cash on displays tho i'd think about what you wanted and how big you can see your display getting.

Last edited by moyiori; 05-27-2020 at 11:44 AM. Reason: edited
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #1818
xellos49698

Yeah, i don't spend too much on the hobby, but I do want a safer less dusty place to put my collection.

I looked at some online furniture options, but most of them will only support 25 pounds per shelf and half of the sellers say don't know how much weight there display cabinets will support. (That's if you get an answer back at all.)

I will figure out something.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:27 PM   #1819
austintheng
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

When I just started collecting gaming statues few years back, I had my statue displayed all over my room on tabletops, desk, any flat hard surface I could find.. not until when I started collecting Marvel 1/4 scale statues last year June - that's when I have to start to think of a solution to display them properly. So I started with IKEA Besta (which is the BEST option if you are just starting out and don't have a lot of funds)..

After a few months into collecting, during Feb this year, I noticed I have like 6-7 1/4 statues on PO...no choice and I went with getting a Moducase MAX series. I ditched the idea of buying more IKEA as I don't like it because its cheap wood, not ideal for moving out as well as you can't dismantle them. Moducases are very nice and classy looking and most importantly, they are 99% dust proof!!

For me, to look for a custom cabinet maker, is super expensive here in Singapore, as they charge pretty high. And I stay like 1.4KM distance away from Moducase HQ anyway, it's easier for me to do any follow up or issues.
austintheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:58 AM   #1820
Phazed
The Spirit

Anyone know the maximum weight capacity on the top of a besta shelf? Website says 20 kg maximum for a horizontal surface; does that include on top?
Phazed is offline   Reply With Quote