Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #11
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
So I guess the previous six movies weren't sausage parties? Funny, but I didn't hear all the women grousing then. Sometimes to balance the scale the other platform gets additional weights.
Maybe it's because Sci-Fi is dominated by a male fan base, most women don't seem all that interested in sci-fi even when the stories are all about women...

Even the female empowerment Birds of Prey movie had more male viewers than female...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Maybe it's because Sci-Fi is dominated by a male fan base, most women don't seem all that interested in sci-fi even when the stories are all about women...
Even the female empowerment Birds of Prey movie had more male viewers than female...
Got any stats to back that up?

My previous post....
Quote:
I think that would be fair if that was specifically the point... in some of the cases it simply is not. A lot of times these threads are kicked off by someone chumming the waters and baiting like-minded sharks into a feeding frenzy. Do a search of past comments by a select few members and see if you don't notice a pattern of bias on this topic (or constant harping). They complain about a topic incessantly and single out and post anything that they believe fortifies/validates their hang-ups or their world view. There's a whole lotta instigating going on! .
In your own words...

Quote:
I was told it was basically 2 hrs of girl power and man bashing, so for me it's a pass...

even putting that aside it bombed pretty hard at the box office which tells me even women passed on seeing it...
Quote:
The problem with today's feminism is they feel they need to bash men on the big screen every chance they get in order to make themselves look & feel more powerful. What guy wants to watch that? Maybe if they just make a movie about a kickass female hero without taking jabs at the opposite sex they might have better success.
Not all men are like Harvey Weinstein yet a lot of women have lumped men in that category....
Quote:
One could argue some men are afraid to say anything because their wives/gf's have their balls in a jar next to their bed and their afraid they won't get that once a year sex that's promised to them for being a good boy..
Quote:
I'm surprised females are not all up in arms over wo(MAN) or actually even fe(MALES) for that matter.. I'm sure they'll come up with some new name that will have to use to refer to them before to long, that's how ridiculous this is getting.
The funny thing is, for a VERY long time guys who were into these comics growing up (in their teen years) were looked down upon by girls for liking comics, you were a geek, dork or a nerd, someone to be made fun of by girls.... And look where we are now, girls demanding to be a part of it...
Quote:
Right now just about every action movie is about #Girlpower in Hollywood.... I guess Hollywood thinks it's going to bring in a new wave of female fans to these types of movies... It might, but I would guess whatever new fans they get they will probably lose an equal or greater amount of male fans...
You can write strong female characters without bashing everyone over the head with the "Girl Power Hammer" but that's what Hollywood is doing, for now anyways... In the end money talks... will see where it goes...
Quote:
That whole scene was setup for a girl power moment, you can try to deny it all you want but the fact all those girls appeared out of nowhere and only girls it was pretty obvious what the message was...
If it would of just been Black Widow or just Wasp by themselves nobody would of said anything.... but Marvel wanted to beat everyone over the head with the "Girl Power" which made it a VERY cheesy scene...
Quote:
I would say a lot of us have been hot heads on this forum at one time or another, I know I've probably been on the thin edge of being banned myself But I've turned over a new leaf as proof by my new portrait
Then again... perhaps not.

Need I go on? Would the gentleman with the hang-ups please take them outside.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #13
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

this is going to turn into another one of those threads isn't it
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #14
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
this is going to turn into another one of those threads isn't it
It might. But look at it from the perspective that it was it's raison d'etre in the first place. Throwing out your opinion as though it was THE accepted view or trolling for controversy is bad enough, but somehow it is wrong for pushback from dissenting opinions? Or in this case also just tiring of the same old regurgitated stuff.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #15
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Do a search of past comments by a select few members and see if you don't notice a pattern of bias on this topic (or constant harping). They complain about a topic incessantly and single out and post anything that they believe fortifies/validates their hang-ups or their world view. There's a whole lotta instigating going on! .
I agree about the select few, but it's only a select few. I think that can be said about the "other" side (for lack of a better word) as well. There are a lot of terrible female centered movies out there, IMO, and there are also a lot of terrible male centered movies. The reason for both is the same; terrible writing. I and, IMO most other males, are just as against bad "male movies" as we are against bad "female movies". Most of the people on this forum, I'm assuming here, would love to see a Cara Dune (Mandalorian) series or a Michonne (Walking Dead) series because those two females are pretty BA. They are popular because they have been developed and fit into the BA role, they weren't shoved down our throats.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:49 PM   #16
SONICobra
Batman

SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #17
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I agree about the select few, but it's only a select few. I think that can be said about the "other" side (for lack of a better word) as well. There are a lot of terrible female centered movies out there, IMO, and there are also a lot of terrible male centered movies. The reason for both is the same; terrible writing. I and, IMO most other males, are just as against bad "male movies" as we are against bad "female movies". Most of the people on this forum, I'm assuming here, would love to see a Cara Dune (Mandalorian) series or a Michonne (Walking Dead) series because those two females are pretty BA. They are popular because they have been developed and fit into the BA role, they weren't shoved down our throats.
Can't see the forest for the trees. Forest for the trees...
I only said "select few" to be polite as I believe there are a lot more in this forum than are acknowledged. I was indirectly calling out the OP due to this habitual behavior. Maybe consider looking at this topic through a historical lens rather than just in the moment. Female "badasses" (the Ripleys, Vasquezes, Connors, etc.) are the aberrations/exceptions to the film status quo. They're unique in the male-centric casts and are respected for that "okay this time" role. But if they become the norm or the majority then male feathers get ruffled. Look at the more "traditional" roles women have occupied in the past... not a lot of a$$kickers then and if they were "too assertive" they were called shrews, harpies, man-haters, b***hes, and so on. Sure, we may be going through a period of overcorrection, but if it's your car veering towards the cliff wouldn't you prefer some extreme correction? Just because you have a blueprint as to how "female movies" should be handled doesn't mean it's the standard.
Recognize this exchange?

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred
"Hollywood has yet to learn its lesson that audiences want to be entertained, not lectured."

https://thefederalist.com/2020/02/14...birds-of-prey/

Ah, so this was a “it was men’s fault” thing. IMO, the fellas are ready to see females kick some tail. Black Widow looks like it should be pretty good. Just depends on how you do a “female” movie.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #18
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Can't see the forest for the trees. Forest for the trees...
I only said "select few" to be polite as I believe there are a lot more in this forum than are acknowledged. I was indirectly calling out the OP due to this habitual behavior.
honest question to which i don't expect an honest answer, do you really not see yourself as having a "habitual behavior" pattern to your posts same as those you deem so unenlightened?
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #19
built2shred
Phoenix

Here goes JoeWorf again Mr. PC, defender of women because he thinks women can't defend themselves, if you don't like what I have to say use the Ignore option numbnuts...

BTW, your starting to look like a stalker collecting all my previous posts and you forgot to add "QFT"
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #20
off
The X-Men

It worked so well for Ghostbusters, what could go wrong?

Lolz
off is offline   Reply With Quote