Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-13-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Got a new Ebas/Lady Death piece today, and I'm looking for cheap views, lol

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...?piece=1632089

I was really surprised to see that I haven't added anything new to my collection for 4 years now =(

Finding comic art I (you) like is getting harder and tougher and too expensive these days =)

(don't feel obligated to read the write up I made. It's more self-therapeutic for me anyways, lol)
DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
jeremydmc
Black Panther

WOW, you used to deliver him RUM!? That's above and beyond. LOL
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Disco - Your collection has some fabulous, heavy hitter art. I'm jealous of the Campbell and Artgerm.

And congrats on finally getting your Ebas I like how it's a full, complete piece. I'm curious to know if you would have requested Lady Death had he done a commission? If not, what would have asked for?
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
SONICobra
Batman

thats a really great piece, ebas is hit or miss for me - this is a hit

ebas is a weird dude, he was giving me the run around about doing a commission a couple years ago. that he could do it but he normally doesnt because no one wants to pay his prices, after a few cryptic unhelpful replies i gave up. oh well, i ended up with some awesome art for less money (im assuming)
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Hearing/reading these stories, how in the hell did I get lucky and score a commission from him all those years ago? Just lucky because my name is a girls?

His commission was one of the first I ever got and I have never met him in person. Mine is less cheesecake than most of his art.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Wow. Thats the most writing ive ever seen on caf!
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
WOW, you used to deliver him RUM!? That's above and beyond. LOL
That was his thing at the time. Bring him a bottle, make him happy, get a commission (maybe), lol. I shoulda seen the signs, though. I was a rum drinker myself and brought him something a little more quality than the typical Captain Morrigan everyone else would bring him. But he didn't really appreciate it, and when he would crack open bottles at his booth he would only share shots with other collectors he knew AND not even with the people who brought him the dam bottle to begin with =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Disco - Your collection has some fabulous, heavy hitter art. I'm jealous of the Campbell and Artgerm.

And congrats on finally getting your Ebas I like how it's a full, complete piece. I'm curious to know if you would have requested Lady Death had he done a commission? If not, what would have asked for?
Thanks for the kind words =) At the time, I requested Baroness from GI Joe from him. I struggled figuring out what character I wanted to collect back then, so I was all over the place. With Campbell I went with Fairchild, with Artgerm I went with Phoenix, with Debalfo I went with Lady Death, and Ebas would have been Baroness... Even today I have no clue what character I want to collect. I'm thinking that Lady Death might be the most versatile for me to ask for, so I might start collecting her. I have it in my head that she's Satan's successor, so I can tell artists that they can depict her in any era, in any kinda of costume they want, doing anything - seducing people good or bad, being involved with historical battles, simply being present during monumental occasions in the past, etc. This way, she can be an ancient Japan geisha, a 19th century England figure that involves Jack the Ripper, or be in ancient Egypt with the Sphinx being around, etc =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
thats a really great piece, ebas is hit or miss for me - this is a hit

ebas is a weird dude, he was giving me the run around about doing a commission a couple years ago. that he could do it but he normally doesnt because no one wants to pay his prices, after a few cryptic unhelpful replies i gave up. oh well, i ended up with some awesome art for less money (im assuming)
From reading his social media accounts, he's still odd when talking about doing commissions. He tried giving weird rules and outlines about how he would take down payments from fans for pieces he may or may not get to over time, and he tries to tell stories of how awful some of his customers are when they commission him for work. It seems the safest thing a fan can do is to just try and buy something he draws for himself on a whim that he throws up every now and again. But like you said, those pieces are very hit or miss, and he's starting to change the way he draws his faces into very generic, very lifeless expressions. I think that's why this Lady Death piece of mine works as well as it does - because he didn't do a straight on face shot of her, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
Wow. Thats the most writing ive ever seen on caf!
I mostly write those CAF descriptions for myself to go back to and re-read years down the road =) In my older age I don't want to forget what it was like to attend conventions and get in lines to even talk to an artist, lol
DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #8
abubakarhimself
Justice League

"... I was never able to get a hold of him or his art handler since the end of 2013 to try and get my commission piece finished. So, this blank cover art will have to do (could be worse, I could have nothing)..."

Gee thanks
abubakarhimself is offline   Reply With Quote