Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Trials of Shazam.....anyone??

Is anyone reading this??? Sorry Joe and Sammy if you have reviewed this book, I can't remember if you have or not....

I looked thru the first two issues the other day and thought it looked pretty good art wise, didn't really read them, anyone have input on these??

Thanks in advance.

mwf
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
Crom
Loki

I'm not a big Judd Wnnick fan, but the story has been good through the first two issues.

I don't think I am revealing anything when I say Freddy is going to bethe new Captain Marvel. He has to go through 12 trials to see if he is worthy of taking on the mantle. I'm not sure, but I got the impression that he might be changing his name form Captain Marvel to Shazam.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I was never much of a Capt. Marvel fan, but I find the series to be engaging. I think the art has been better than the story so far. Howard Porter has really improved.

It is one of many mini-series launched by DC, if you are a little hesitant I would suggest waiting for the first TPB. I think it will read better. So much of the story is launched from the events in Identity Crisis tand the mini-series which came out of it.
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Thanks, Crom......I have always been interested in Shazam ever since the TV show from the 80's. I might just pick these up, I am not much of a TBP man.

Thanks!!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
Crom
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwf6171 View Post
Thanks, Crom......I have always been interested in Shazam ever since the TV show from the 80's. I might just pick these up, I am not much of a TBP man.

Thanks!!
You're welcome. I only suggest the TPB because of some of the ties to previous mini-series. I really digteh art on this series. I liked his JLA work, but it still seemed stiff. This has a more fluid feel. And the coloring is awesome. I think this can be a very fun series and Winnick seems to have a real affnity for the character.
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
Krypton Knight
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Porters art on this series has been wonderful. As I understand it, it's all done by computer. No originals to be bought which is a shame, I'd like to get some of it for my collection.

Yeah, it looks as if Jr. will become the new Cap, while Billy/Cap is now the keeper of the Rock Of Eterinty. Maybe down the line Mary will get her powers back as well.
Krypton Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Hi Mike,

I've been reading it but haven't reviewed it yet. I thought Winnik did a great job on the Superman/Shazam miniseries, which I did review. The story and the art both are solid.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Yeah, just came from the LCS, picked up Issues 1 & 2 as well as Union Jack #2. Joe, you are reading Union Jack, aren't you?!?!?!??!!?