Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #11
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
what an endorsement Teauge ... I am trying to figure out how many to get. In your estimation, would 11 of these hold 10 regular boxes worth of books? ballpark? more, less?
I think so, JG. Are you still buying comics? If so, you might want to order some extras for expansion. Also, stacking them evenly helps in terms of keeping them together. For example, if you had 12, you could do 4 across by 3 high and have no problems. I recommend this because then you can put a piece of plywood over the top to help hold down the top level--otherwise, when you pull out the drawer on the top, it will tip forward.

I also recommend that you have some sort of base (I use cinderblock and 2x4s), both for protection from moisture (if you're in a basement or anywhere where you might get flooding) and because it's easier to work with the lowest level off the floor a bit.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #12
ironmanfan001
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I recently converted my collection over to the Drawer boxes. 50 old style long boxes = 70 Drawer boxes. I got em for around $8 a box, because I went in with my LCS to save on the shipping costs.
Easily worth the investment. I have 5 high by 14 wide. Getting to the books in the bottom box are a breeze.
ironmanfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:07 PM   #13
patrickwm68
The Flash

Wow, these are cool. I have about 40 to 50 regular long boxes and it's a pain in the "A" to put books away. I may try these.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:30 AM   #14
twisterred
Luke Cage

can they be stacked and not get damaged? a good rule of thumb is the less moving parts something has the better IMO. With over 40 long boxes of books I don't know how well this system would work for me.
twisterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:58 AM   #15
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisterred View Post
can they be stacked and not get damaged? a good rule of thumb is the less moving parts something has the better IMO. With over 40 long boxes of books I don't know how well this system would work for me.
Yeah, they can be stacked and not get damaged, though if you stack them over 5 high they're out-of-reach for most people. So with 40 boxes (and you'd need more than that, since these are shorter, but just as an example), you'd probably want to do eight columns of five high. I'd put the bottom row on a riser (at least a couple inches off the ground), and put one side against a wall for greater support. If there's no wall, you could use some side-support, but all in all, it's pretty easy to do.

At our comic book store, we have over 100 of the drawerboxes in use, stacked four high. They work very well, and after over a year and a half of pretty heavy use, I've never seen one collapse or even show signs of weakening.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote